Register now to get rid of these ads!

softening plastic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5150merc, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

I would use a cardboard template, cut the lens as required. Then I would put the housing and pieces in the oven at about 220-240 on some parchment paper. Let warm until pliable and press into shape. You will need to wear gloves.

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Good post. Let us know how it works out!

3. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

gonna try this lense next,
    [​IMG]

4. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

heres what i did,
    cut a template then cut the lense
    [​IMG]
    check the fit,used a heat gun and a deep socket to persuade the lens into shape
    [​IMG]
    heres what it looks like,now need to do 1 more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i know the top of the lens is bowed but i think its the compound bend and i will have to live with it or if i can make the other one better i may try it again.
    this is the back of the first tail light turn signal assembly i bought.it fits almost perfectly.just a little trim.
    [​IMG]

5. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

looks pretty good

6. Waaaay back in my Jr. High shop class we heated plastic in an oven. It provide even heat. Sorry I don't remember the temp. Maybe practice with some cheap lenses(?)

7. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

well im afraid the housing might warp more than the lens in the oven.

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

The oven is the way to go!! I used to vacume parts, what your doing is not much different. Place it in the oven on something slick, cookie sheet will work with some wax paper. I would start at around 220 degrees F. Keep checking it till it gets soft and plyable. Once plyable, you can form it however you want with gloves on. Once you got the shape you want, hold it under running water to harden. There you go. Trust me, this will work great.

9. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

ok i'll try it.just cut to shape the lens, put in the oven on wax paper,then push it into the openings?

10. cretin

cretin

Just a thought. You might wanna cut a peice of wood or something to the desired shape so that once the plastic is soft enough, you can apply the needed pressure evenly. It looks like the one you did before was bent more in the middle, this might prevent that.

11. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

yeah it kinda wanted to tuck in the middle.i think its the multiple angles that meet right there.

12. cretin

cretin

Or maybe put something on the outside to kind of push against. It was easy for me in the thread I posted because the holes were much smaller. So it may take shape better if you had something to push against like that. If you could take a peice of wood and make a pretty accurate cut you could have a peice to push with and against that would be pretty close.

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

Like cretin said, find something thats got the curve you want. A small bowl or dish. Use that as a buck to hold it down on with even pressure. You might could mash it on the inside of the housing that doesnt have the holes. If you try to fit it to the hole, its just gona want to push through the opening. If you use the inside of the housing, the side without the holes, make sure its real slick or you will wind up with little dimples from the rust inside. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

14. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

i will try that.gonna sand the housing anyway.then i was thinking how to keep the lens up,maybe epoxy it in?

15. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

that is a cool tool, but i think the next thing is a e-wheel from low buck tools.

16. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

What's the housing a Merc air duct falppy thing ?

17. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Shit, you don't even see those things unless you are wiring in a radio. Or trying to steal the car.

18. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

so ive been told.not sure if im going to paint it or chrome it.

19. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

well i got this piece off a "custom" tail light that was on my car when i got it.
    [​IMG]
    cut it to shape and heated it in the oven.formed it to the housing,looks like a spaceship,
    [​IMG]
    then i made a pattern to cut the bucket
    [​IMG]
    painted the inside of the bucket with Tijuana chrome and painted the housing,
    [​IMG]
    now the lenses have kinda clouded up is there a good way to clear them up?some kind of polisher?
    once the lenses are cleared up i'll epoxy them into the housing and hook it all up.i'll post more pics then.

20. Dare I ask what this is going on?

21. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

rear package tray on my merc as a 3rd brake light.i got a 3m plastic cleaner that cleared up the lenses.one is being epoxied in right now.i'll do the other when i get home from work.

22. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

It looks like it was originally a boat bow light