Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford headlights on a merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5150merc, Jan 6, 2009.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looks like an insect. [I think the Buick ones look good because the bulb is still round. ]

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

3. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Whoever put those rear view mirrors on that Mercury, should sell all his tools.

4. FUCK DUDE! You go from one stupid question to another! You can't be that out of touch with a Merc. Are you just fuckin with us? Next you are gonna ask about Lambo doors or a tilt front end! Why don't you just sell the Merc and buy a POS Honda,and be done with us...Another NON traditional question like this about Mercs and i'm dropping you from the Merc Club! You are becoming an embarassment!
    I'm not affraid to say what I think. YOU Asked! BUY A BOOK ON CUSTOMS,AND READ IT FRONT TO BACK before you get back on here.
    I don't want to here any shit about "it's his car,he can do what he wants!". FINE! Then DO what you want and stop asking for opinions!!!!!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you tell him Bob!

6. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

Here is mine I got a lot of crap on here for it but I say do what you want you own it and ride it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Bob..are you saying you don't like the headlights??

I hate to jump on a bashing bandwagon, but Bob is right. Remember a custom is built to show off teh clean lines and flow of a car, not to weld on a bunch of bullshit because it might be diffrent.

Like the man says, less is more.

-Abone.

8. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Whoever built that entire car needs to be put behind bars before he ruins another beautiful car. That thing is HEINOUS!! What I leave behind in the toilet after a three day Taco Bell binge is better looking than that abortion. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

9. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

this thing should be a crime with a 25 to life sentence

10. OLLIN

OLLIN

and the merc should become a ward of the state until a proper home for it is found.

11. Way to hold back Bob :D I was starting to think the same thing.

Spend about a week looking at every picture at this link:

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/

Study them, read and then study them some more then come back and ask questions.

12. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

I didn't even notice the headlights. I can't take my eyes off those mirrors

13. rick finch

rick finch

Sweet Jesus, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This whole thread is a freaking joke, what in the hell has happened to common sense, and taste!:eek::mad::confused:

14. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

i never said i was going to do this to my car.just wanted to hear your thoughts.my car had a tilt front end when i got it.it was the first thing i took apart.
    [​IMG]
    plus my head lights will be like these;
    [​IMG]

15. Chad s

Chad s

Thank you Deron! Good call.

16. My sentiments exactly...:p

17. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

18. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The un spoken rule of thumb is, customize with parts newer than the car your customizing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  19. 5150, the biggest rule in customizing any car is, just because you can, dosn't mean you should. dont get too crazy. keep it smooth and simple. pick an era of styling you like best and stick with it bumper to bumper. don't mix up different styles and trends. do some studying, which i think your doing. here are some examples.

flamedabone's recently finished masterpiece;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

samf's great recent build;

[​IMG]

barris built, dave bugarin's 51. these are the 53 buick headlight bezels. if you like that look.

[​IMG]

this is the best looking unchopped merc i've seen. saw at the james dean show in gas city ind. stunning.

[​IMG]

heres a few just for inspiration and to illustrate "smooth".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i really don't like to pick up on someone else's efforts, but, in my opinion, this is where you don't want to end up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Flamedabone's car is the right way to go.Just gorgeous!

21. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

i agree that Flamedabone's merc is spot on.i never said THIS IS MY CAR OR WHAT IM GOING TO DO TO MINE!
    just hope to clear that up.
    that last merc looks like its really pissed!

22. 5150, there are entire build threads on flamedabones merc, from very humble beginings to completion. and on samf's merc. those threads would be a great place to start. these two guys are very good at what they do and you can learn alot from their threads. also, ether, here on the hamb has a great thread on the build of his merc. there are many others as well.

23. Weasel

Weasel

Ah yes ....the U turn - are you a politician???:eek: You start off by saying it's not your car and then many posts later you talk about "what I'm going to do to mine" WTF:confused:

24. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

that is why im here,really it is.so far i never "built","created","customized" a car,just bolted parts to ones like a honda "tuner", but that isnt what this car is about.

p.s. no i never had a honda "race car".

25. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

are you in the media?conveniently leaving out the
    from the sentence
    quote me all you want but do it correctly!

26. The problem is you have started a bunch of other Merc posts about what you should do to YOUR car so when you start a post like this which is not very clear on it's intentions everyone is going to assume that you ARE thinking about doing this to your car. Then when everyone calls you out you seem to backpedal and say that you never meant this post to be about what you were going to do. Hence the confusion.

27. thesupersized

thesupersized

the headlights look like ass..close this thread.

28. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

i just asked for others thoughts on these.i guess i see your point.but if its hard to figure out the difference between my previous posts and this one then go ahead and close it.i'll stick to posting only things pertaining directly to MY car from here on out.

29. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

SHEEESH !.......This whole thread was a mess.....I don't think the lights work......Bad Bob had some good points.......I think you need to do some homework, and try to understand what made them so popular as customs in the first place......Look at the famous ones, and look for what they have in common etc.......There's lots of great Mercs out there to study.....I find the Mercs that don't work are the ones that tryed to reinvent "the look" IMHO........Anyway, the car looks pretty good....If you don't want to do your homework, french the stock headlights, paint it a dark shiny color, and off you go.....

30. '39 Merc is the same as '39 Deluxe. 3 different teardrop lenses. The correct ones for '37 are marked 78 at bottom of lens. The ones for all '38 and Standard '39 are marked 81A at bottom. The '39 Deluxe and Merc lens is marked 91A--it is wider and flatter than the other two. The 78 and 81A, though different, will interchange. The 91A doesn't interchange with anything.