Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mid-Michigan hambers - body shop help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyTace, Jan 6, 2009.

1. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

I'm planning an up-coming project and I'm looking for a recommendation of a body shop within Mid-Michigan or thereabouts. I'll need minor rust repair and a complete paint job on a mid-60's Chevrolet. I'm not looking for a 100 point restoration or a show-circuit candy finish but I appreciate quality work.

Let me know who you would use if you wanted your own car painted.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well a guy I know that is a big time Mustang resoration guru has a shop just north of Toledo..probably a bit too far for you tho.
    Dam good work, cool guy, and reasonable prices, will do what you request.

3. I've got a guy doing my '56 Ford - complete frame-off. He's also in the later stages of a '60 Chevy bubbletop re-do. He's in the Howell/Brighton area so might be a bit far for you. My car's in process right now so if you want to see some pics on progress let me know. He's an independent & does only a limited amount but pretty good work, I'd have to ask if he's interested in taking on more. If you're interested PM me & I'll get more details to you.
    Ron

4. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

C3 Customs right there in Bay City did Scott's Abone and is doing my 32 right now. Mike is a good guy and is his prices are reasonable.

5. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

What's going on with your '32? The maroon one, right? You didn't buy a new one, did you?

6. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

depends on how much you want to spend there is shops all over ..im booked up or id do it for ya...

7. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

Yeah, that's the problem. Many shops... Which to pick?

Not every shop is willing or capable to do the work I'm requesting. I'm just hoping to narrow it down. Have any contacts up here?

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I certainly wouldn't limit my resources to just those in a certain geographic area. Body and paint work is the most important aspect on a car, IMHO. You need to find someone who will do the quality job you require in the price range you have in mind, shouldn't matter where they are located. A one hour drive or 10 hour drive, is there really a big difference??

Ask people who's paint job you admire who did their car. Ask if the bodywork was included. Ask what the per hour shop rate was and if the car was finished on time and as promised. Any hassles? Anything they'd do different.

I went out of state for mine. Viewed a large number of finished cars from the HAMB's own Earl Schieb. Stunning work at VERY reasonable rates, rates that were HALF of the going Metro Detroit area. Yes, alittle bit of hassle in getting the car down to TN and back, but well worth the effort for sure.

Also, my car was done on time as promised and actually turned out BETTER then I thought it would.

My Father on the other hand hired a shop about 3 miles from the house the same winter that I had my car done. They did a GREAT job BUT were far more expensive, and I mean far more expensive and in my opinion the quality of the jobs are pretty equal. Oh yeah, Dad's was a few month longer then promised for delivery.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  9. jdubbya

jdubbya

There is a guy here in town that does fantastic work, and takes on one job at a time. He is doing all the work out of his home shop, is quite reasonable, and keeps to his promised schedule. His name is Randy Misekow, and is located just north of Flint, in Clio. He has done alot of work, and has a great portfolio. If you are interested, I will get you his phone number.

10. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

Good advice, Denise, and I've seen both your father's and your car - they both look great.

I don't get to many shows in the winter so that's why I'm poking around here trying to scare up some leads. I'd also like to stay relatively local so I can keep an eye on the progress. Quick question - Was Earl Schieb able to give you an estimate and if so, how close was he to nailing it? I understand unexpected issues crop up all the time so an estimate is just what it is. Just curious.

JDubs - PM me Randy's number if you get a chance. Clio's local for me.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks for the compliments on our cars, appreciate that.

There were no surprises with my bodywork so the estimate was right on the money with Earl Schieb. Most people wouldn't be willing or able to bake that many cookies though.;):D

My Dad's car on the other hand had a couple of major bodywork surprises BUT the owner of the shop kept to his estimate right down to the nickel. When the extra bodywork needed was brought to Dads attention and he asked how much more (he was more then willing and assumed there would be added costs) the owner said don't worry about it. Pretty cool on his part BUT in hindsight probably one of the reasons he went out of business a couple of years later. Great guy but not a great business man. Anyway, Dad went out of his way to make sure EVERYONE in the area knew who did his car and each and every time the car won a trophy he drove it right over to their shop for keeps. Dad doesn't really care about the trophies but they sure are a feather in a bodyshop's cap for potential customers to see. Moot point now I guess.

12. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

If you are close to Lansing, Mike Brimm (Kustombuilder) and Jeff Hiegal (sp?) (GMGrunt) are both excellent body men. Mike is in magazines all the time and Jeff really knows his stuff too. PM those guys!

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

He is???....WOW, news to me.

Speaking of Jeff reminds of the Ionia Hot Rod Shop which reminds me of HAMB member Lehr who paints their stuff and I believe he is in the Flint area. I have seen a few of his cars in person, top notch.

14. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

15. jdubbya

jdubbya

I thought of Lehr, who is one talented guy, but I figured he would chime in if he was interested.

16. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

Thanks for all the leads, folks.

17. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

you just can't help yourself can you. :rolleyes:

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I figured if I was wrong I'd be corrected with examples. ;)

19. Ades Collision
    Muskegon

20. lehr

lehr

jdubbya I can't be bothered with them damn cars I'm building a home brewing system right now !!!
    The randy guy that Joe is talking about is very good !
    BTW Joe I havent forgot about your intake If you want to try and weld it your self you can use my tig.
    Pat.