Register now to get rid of these ads!

A-V8 front end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourbangerford, Jan 6, 2009.

1. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

I am building an av8 and am wanting juice brakes. I bought an entire front end from a 40 ford with the backing plates and everything. I was wondering if I should use the 40 spindles. and If I could use the whole axle with the spring in front. Is anyone running this set up? Is there a better 30's axle with a stock drop?
    thanks for ya'lls input.

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

spring in front is a little unconventional on an Av8, easy to convert to spring over, just cut the front horns off and use aftermarket spring perches.
    spindles are perfect, as are the brakes. the axle itself is a little wide, and the short kingpin to perch pin distance means they cant be dropped very easily or far. pre 36 axle is best.,or a dropped model A one (and they are cheap to buy)
    good luck, and search the forum, youll find heaps of info.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The spindles and brakes will work great with whichever axle you choose. The later spring in front axles are not the most common or attractive option for an A, IMO, but there are plenty of real-deal early hotrods running a spring in front setup like that. The Isky T, Khougaz '32, Frank Mack's T, and Lil deuce coupe come to mind... My choice would be your '40 brakes and spindles on a dropped A axle/spring with the 40 split wishbone.

4. .manny

.manny

yea id just rob the spindles and brake parts off that front end.. and use them on your A ............ where do u live in east TN?

5. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

I live in west knoxville

6. .manny

.manny

cool......... if that wasnt a hundred miles away from me id come help you with it

7. Easy peasy! Put the 40 spindles and brakes on your A axle. If you want a drop, send your axle to one of the Hambers who does axle dropping (there are several.... do a search) plus get a spring maker or blacksmith to reverse the spring eyes. You can even do this yourself with an anvil and a 10lb hammer (once again, do a search). If you do drop it, you'll need to split the wishbone, an easy job using a kit from Hamiltons.

8. Lot's of guys built good looking roadsters with those spring in front type set ups.

Attached Files:

9. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

Thanks guys. I really apriciate all of your help