Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Chevy Hinge Screw Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spot_remover, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

Ok, first off i have already searched and none of the normal screw removal techniques will really work. The screws i am trying to remove are the bottom hinge screws on the back door of a 4 dr 56 Belair. Its a real tight fit to begin with, but i was able to get my big phillips head screw driver back into em, it stripped em out and the screws took a chunk of it with em. So now i have 3 stripped out screws that are HUGE, that are in a really tight place. Normally i would just drill em out, or snag em with vice grips, but i cant get a drill into that tight corner to get at em and they are flush head screws. Any suggestions? Oh i dont have an air compressor or a torch so thats out of the questions.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

do you have a welder? if you do,weld a large allen wrench on the head and use a wrench.throw it away.

3. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

Hmmm good idea, i got a mig/fluxcore for xmas and i havnt even got to fire it up.

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

it will heat it up at the same time.

5. I think you can get access to the back side thru the inside of the B pillar. You may have to open it up at the bottom. You could also remove the door completely and make yourself some more room to work. $0.02

6. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Center a 2/8 nut on the screw. Weld it onfrom the inside of the nut. Again it will heat the stripped screw and you can use a wrench or a socket to remove it. It may take a couple of trys but it has never failed me.

7. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

potatoe.....potato

where will he find a 2/8 nut??

8. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

9. beatcad

beatcad

OK. am i completely stupid here?
    what the hell is a 2/8 nut?

fractions are suposed to be reduced by the lower denominator. a 2/8 would be a 1/4.

or was that a joke and i didnt get it.....if so.. dammit!

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

11. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

Yea, and i dont have room to get a drill in there so i know i dont have room for an air hammer.

Thanks though