Register now to get rid of these ads!

Club De Mer Re-creation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Still Runnin, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

We will have a full length story on this build real soon. He is so on the $$ with all of his creations. He has tons of photographs, build a scale model, molds, drawings everywhere.

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Whoaw, that looks like a really detailed and nice build!!

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

With so much real stuff in need of restoration ........ my question is .... why?

4. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

because the original is no longer around, and because he can !

5. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

wow ,what a fantastic job.......................whats the reserve/estimate

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I like the way you think .... because he can !

7. huffreport

huffreport

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, you don't need to ask why when you can build shit like that from total scratch and that well. You build whatever the hell you want. Way better than building another copy of something that still exists.

My only thought is with that kind of over the top talent, he shouldn't waste his time with recreations, he should make his own one of kind cars.

9. Lstude

Lstude

Not only has Marty done real cars from scratch, but he had made scale models from scratch. His talent and scale is perfect IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trailer and Mercury (I Love Lucy) was his also.

10. williebill

williebill

Wrote to Marty years ago,and he sent me pics of the Lincoln Futura he was building...I would have loved to have bought the kit from him,but didn't have the $$$....fantastic work..Did he build/sell any more Futuras?

11. WQ59B

WQ59B

>>"In answer ....
    The original Club De Mer never had a drive train, it was not a running car.
    According to GM records, it was retired from GM's display and destroyed in '58."<<

Not to try & take 1 atom of credit away from Marty and his fantastic recreation... but just to point out: numerous cars (some also 'pusher' cars; EX: the '56 Eldorado Brougham Town Car) documented as 'destroyed' by GM are still existing. I know well that the CdM has long been sought, to no avail, but just because it hasn't been found does not mean the 'destroy order' was ever carried out.

Look @ the 2nd '54 Bonneville Special- even GM didn't 'know' there were 2 when it turned up circa '99. It/they were also supposed to have been destroyed in '59, IIRC, but were 'smuggled out'.

Just saying that GM Archive documentation is not irrefutable.

12. Lstude

Lstude

He has made another one. It is in Bruce Elder's shop in Staunton, VA.

[​IMG]

13. I was told by GM rep. that the brass had ways of scarfing up these show cars and storing them away in there garages.

14. huffreport

huffreport

Some of those cars ended up in a place called Warhoop's I think... It was some kind of scrap yard where the owner just couldn't bring himself to destroy these magical things. So, instead, as legend goes, he just cut them up, and stored the chunks of bodies all over the yard, sometimes in places where they pieces couldn't be easily found.

Or, at least that's how I remember the story... I do know that lots of dream cars were recovered from the place.

Joe Bortz has brought may of these dream cars back to life... I have wondered a few times over the last couple of years (since I got my first email from Marty Martino), whether Joe was funding this project. I will admit, this is PURE speculation on my part... But, somebody had to pay for this undertaking, and it obviously wasn't a cheap thing to do. Just look at the detail inside the doors on the Club De Mer... Look at everything, and compare what you had to spend on your last project to what you think it would take to do on THIS scale? This kind of stuff is not cheap. And talent like Marty seems to have is something we rarely see... Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing this on TV in a few days. Those auctions are a lot of fun. I went to the one in Vegas, and it was a hoot. I hope they make some money on this car.

Kevin

15. PDQ VW

PDQ VW
    from Canada

This is one great thread!
    Before I knew it I'd been all over this site and beyond clicking/linking--thanks !!!

Great talent to!

16. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

That is completely phenomenal!! That kind of talent doesn't come around often. Can't wait to see pics of the finished Futura!

17. 'Mo

'Mo

Good observation.

I believe that Marty is slated for some work on Bortz' cars, but did this one on his own. I understand that Bortz is scheduled to make an appearance at the auction to comment on this car.

18. WQ59B

WQ59B

IIRC, 4 concept cars came out of Warhoops decades after they went in : the '56 Eldorado Brougham Town Car, the '55 Biscayne, and the 2 '55 LaSalle IIs. Bortz has all the '55s, and at least at some point another guy had & did most of the resto work on the '56- it sold last year at auction impeccably finished and now a runner... it went for $781K.
    Rumors of the '54 Corvette Corvair fastback being also being at Warhoops have been unconfirmed as far as I've read- that car is still missing.
    I wouldn't quite call that "a lot" of cars; I believe far more than that reappeared from elsewhere.
    Kevin- your facts on Bortz & Warhoops agree with what I've read on that scenario.
    Bortz has had a special affection for the CdM- I'm not surprised he'll appear at it's auction to talk it up. Anyone know when it's scheduled to cross the block (I assume this is@ B-J?)

...EDIT: googling shows a date of Jan 17th...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  19. huffreport

huffreport

20. huffreport

huffreport

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

22. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Those models look real familiar... Does Marty have a spot at Carlisle or Hershey selling them? There was a guy there that had very similar models and would "custom" build you any car you wanted... Sure looks like the same guys work. If it is, I have talked to him before about his models. Very nice guy, just can't remember his name...

On a side note, this recreation is bad ass!!!

23. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Here is a pic that Zellerware posted from the auction on another thread

Attached Files:

24. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

The Club De Mer is getting some very nice air time ....... Oh tomorrow what will it bring?

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just saw the thing on Barrett Jackson, did GM pay for the original to be distroyed, or just get lucky?

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

LOVE IT! My favorite car this weekend for sure.

27. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

It is pretty wild, can't wait to finish the story up on this build and get it out there.

28. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Didn't see the Club De Mer on B.J. site
    found this one

left click and drag to wherever then post it here

Attached Files:

29. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I'm glued to the TV today to see what the CDM does! Marty got to meet and speak with the GM stylists, they loved the car!

30. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Well that was special ! Watched the auction all day anticipating the Club De Mer's turn on center stage. I REALLY enjoyed the commercial, how bout you guys !?!