Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Blackbob

Blackbob

MrModelT, your T is a beaut, really likin the new rag top too. I just arrived here at HAMB, got holg of an old Pig N Ford '26 T last week and I'm here trying to learn. I just read this thread thru and there is SOOH much to learn - aint many T experts in the Highlands of Scotland :D

[​IMG]

Outback likes this.
  2. VanHorton

VanHorton

roof looks like a good start

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

Blackbob,

Nice little chassis and a good starting point! what are your plans for the old girl? How did you come across you "Tin Lizzy"? Any special parts or is she just a stock T?

I do agree with VanHorten, a top and windshield might be nice...lol! :)

kudos and welcome. If you have any T questions, just PM me or post and i'm sure the other 'banger guys will jump in too.

4. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

This was a cool T roadster.
    Nice to see some skinny gow jobs beeing built

Paul

5. VanHorton

VanHorton

haha i was talkin about your top clayton, i like how its comming out... as for blackbob, if that was my car since its already a single seater, i'd totally do a one off speedster/boadtracker/sprint car inspired body and just drive the wheels off it...:D

6. Blackbob

Blackbob

I picked it up from a dealer down in England, he bought the contents of a South Dakota Scrapyard there were 5 Pig N Ford racers and hes got a few ton trucks (got my eye on one)

plan is to put together a simple speedster/racer body, just enough essential parts and get her on the road, I was told it had a Giant Powerhead but its not its got Ford cast on top, I wont know whats been done to it til I pull it apart, theres a water pump fitted and not a lot else :D fires up easy enough and once i can find neutral ( and can let the back wheel down off the jack, I'll take it for a run up at my friends farm and see how she goes!
    I'd love to get my hands on some proper period tuning parts, a two speed axle etc

7. Blackbob

Blackbob

pretty much what Ive got in mind :cool:

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

Personally, I prefer more than one seat so I can take someone along for the ride :) An early roadster body wouldn't look bad :) You might also look into a aluminum "Z" high comp head for it....adds about 10-12 hp out of the box and puts up comp ratio up to about 6 to 1, gives even a stock T lots of kick. also a Warford aux overdrive is a nice addition as it gives you 3 gears rather than 2 with a Ruxtell (overdrive is nice) and gives you a total of 6 speed combos forward and 3 in reverse. Just food for thought

9. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That's a really nice T..... makes me want one too :)

10. Blackbob

Blackbob

how easy is it to get hold of the aluminum Z heads - sources?? I was looking at the Ruxtell overdrive info on the NWVS site they look like a handy piece of kit. I'll probably go with a simple 2 seater speedster body for now, just sone alloy sheet wrapped around a pair of bucket seats, if I can find some suitable vintage looking ones. I treated the motor to a set of new spark plugs at the weekend, fires up nice and easy from cold now, still havent found a neutral - so I cant get all 4 wheels on the deck and have a go, mind you its been below freezing for the last 2 weeks and Ive got the attention span of a gnat when its cold :D

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

For the &#8220;Z&#8221; heads try both Lang&#8217;s old car parts in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Winchendon</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Massachusetts</st1:State> (www.modeltford.com) and Chaffin&#8217;s Garage out of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">San Francisco</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">California</st1:State></st1:place> (www.chaffinsgarage.com). These are the best parts sources for T stuff here in the states. From my experience, aux overdrive (goes in the driveline rather than the axle) might be easier and cheaper to find than a Ruxtell 2-speed axle. I run a 3 speed Chicago OD in my roadster and I like the drivability of it. The only drawback is that you have to shorten the drive shaft / torque tube. You mentioned that it was freezing over there, what are you using for coolant?

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

Sorry, the text got messed again

For the &#8220;Z&#8221; heads try both Lang&#8217;s old car parts in Winchendon, Massachusetts (www.modeltford.com) and Chaffin&#8217;s Garage out of San Francisco, California (www.chaffinsgarage.com). These are the best parts sources for T stuff here in the states. From my experience, aux overdrive (goes in the driveline rather than the axle) might be easier and cheaper to find than a Ruxtell 2-speed axle. I run a 3 speed Chicago OD in my roadster and I like the drivability of it. The only drawback is that you have to shorten the drive shaft / torque tube. You mentioned that it was freezing over there, what are you using for coolant?

13. Blackbob

Blackbob

thanks for that, I drained the coolant off as soon as the frost hit, just in case - what do you recommend?

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

exactly what you did. Antifreeze is bad for babbit bearings (or so I hear form alot of T and early car guys). Dump a bottle of vodka in and she'll be happy! LOL :) just kidding...It's best just to drain it.

15. What a sweet ride ya got there. I've been hiding away a T frame I bought for $10. about 8 yrs back and a free derelict T engine. Hid out back next to the shop. Hoping one day to put a "go job" togeather. This car is an inspiration!

16. My little project... '49 Flathead, Model A 21s, etc.[​IMG]

17. [​IMG]Rear shot. Taillight mockup ... older pics, a little further on now. Your car looks like a BLAST!!!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  18. GARY?

GARY?

First a top,... then fenders.... then heat....When will it end??? CD player GPS??
    :D:D Jokes aside,
    It looks killer with the top. Glad to see this thread pop back up. Been wondering about yer car.
    Such a cool car. I'm sure I said it before but...

Yeah E.J, looks like you'r headed down the right path with yours too. Nice.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  19. VanHorton

VanHorton

Looks good ejay. love where your goin with that roadster

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Corn Boy,

Thanks for the kudos! I'm having the top sewn up this weekend. test fit next fit next week.

Ejay,

Three words:

NICE... LOOKIN'... ROADSTER! That has got a great stance to it and a real nice look. if you have any new pics, I'd love to see 'em

21. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hello H.A.M.B.ers,

It has been a long and wonderful holiday season and I have finally had a few minutes to jump on and post an update on my roadster. I finally test fit the top this weekend.....awesome! I have posted a few pics as well.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

23. Very rakish looking with the new top! What is the blue car in the foreground?

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks on the top compliments! The blue car in the forground is a 1909 single cylinder Brush runabout that belongs to a friend of mine. It was restored in the 1950's and does about 23 mph top speed.

25. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

That would be my dad's car. [​IMG]

My grandparent's gave him the Brush in 1965 as a high graduation gift. Dad had it till 1971 when he sold it to fellow car nut in f\Forest Grove, Oregon and bought our 1913 White GAF 30 hp touring car which we are finally getting around to restoring with Clayton much appreciated help.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dad bought the Brush back from the guy he sold it to in 2003 after a year and a and many adjustment the car can be driven under it's own power from Portland to Salem (distance of 150 mile round trip). Should tell you it is a rather slow car We cruise around 19 mph comfortably but have been know to push him up to 25 mph going down hill with a tail wind!!

I need to get back to working on my speedster as Clayton and I have building these cars to together for the last couple of years. I needed to get a couple of projects out of the way and then I can finish it.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

out plowing likes this.
  26. Spooky

Spooky

WOW!
    Kickassed T and he is a LOCAL!!!!

27. powerwagonmaniac1- great to see you back on... now get workin':D!!!

Looks like the White is coming along slowly but well. ANYthing new on the T speedster?

I've picked up some parts- '27 Chevrolet spindles/hubs, a great set of '28 Chevrolet wheels... soon it's time for me to bite the bullet and get a tranny and rear and then get to work on the chassis.

28. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

I'd like to say I have worked on the speedster, but that isn't the case. My dad has been going through a giant rough patch this last winter and we have been helping him the best we can. So I have been working on small projects. Last year Clayton and I finished his Speedster up and got it on the road. He has been instrumental in helping with the White, as of right now we have a rolling chassis with tranny and drive shaft and rear axle as well most of the engine parts detailed out (thanks to Clayton's eye for detail) We also got our Briggs and Stratton flyer replica put back together after a complete redesign. It used to do 20-25mph now does almost 50mph http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v.../motorwheel/?action=view&current=MVI_3369.flv. We changed it from friction drive[​IMG] to chain drive.[​IMG]

I am currently working on getting our family cruiser up and running, a 1963 Corvair Monza 900. I purchased the Corvair back in 1994 for $50 and drove it home.[​IMG] During the last 15 years of ownership it sat in the shop unloved. When Carston, our 2 years son came along, Melissa my wife persuaded me to re activate the Corvair. now it is in the our paint shop getting a new paint job (Silver body and Champagne Bronze top with tan pin striping).

End of November while my folks were on a cruise a bunch of friends got together and cleaned up my folk's property where we keep the cars and shops. suffice it to say it was a lot bigger job then anticipated.

We have done a few thing to my speedster. Steering column is bolted up but not finished and we started mocking up the cowl and we might changing the design from a boat tailed roadster to maybe a 23-25 model T roadster back half with c a 26-27 cowl tall radiator and 31 model A hood custom built side.

So not a very quiet year for me. i'll post some current picture of the speedster as soon as I can.

29. MrModelT

MrModelT

Now that my car is winding down to a finish, and since Chris has helped me so much with my car I am gonna switch gears and help him get his running as I start my second T.

BTW, anybody have the rear half of a '23 to '25 roadster body (from the doors back) laying around local to me that they would be willing to part with for next to nothin'? Doesn't have to be pretty.<!--/text-->

30. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Clayton,
    That top on the 26 looks killer!! I can't wait to see what you doo for a second build!! Keep it up!
    Jason