Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Valve Cover Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lawman, Jan 3, 2009.

1. lawman

lawman

Happy New Year Boys and Gals, Have a small problem moving my Alternator from the top of my engine to the head on the drivers side. (See my Album).Have a very nice set of finned VCs on it now that are painted between the fins.To move the Alternator down I had to make my own custom bracket (1/4 inch steel) to bolt to the 350 heads.
    I should note that I use a short water pump and my Radiator is set up in the 8cyn pos. on the cradle.Now to the problem!!! To change the alternator belt (52 5/8 ln) I have to remove the driver side cover as the valve cover does not leave enough room to remove the belt when the alternator is pushed forward!!! Anybody else ever have this problem or have an idea as to the fix? Also note that 53 inch belts are too long.Thanks so very much for your time.

2. lawman

lawman

I should have also noted that I have the TALL VCs to clear roller rockers.

3. uglydog56

uglydog56

stick a screwdriver in it and bump the starter.

4. dannyego

dannyego

Get an alternator mount that bolts to the header. Speedway sells them. Problem solved

5. dbradley

dbradley

6. The Worm

The Worm

stock exhaust monifod has an alternater mount on them. dunno if your runnen those tho

7. noboD

noboD

8. i couldn't visualize what you are saying ,so i i looked at your picture in your album . it appears to be before the tall finned valve covers. even then it is a tight fit against the valve cover. my opinion is you are trying to cram to much stuff in too small of a space..stuff has to go where it needs to be to work properly , meaning the only thing i think you can do is to make a new mounting bracket to raise the alternator higher. or in other words , you are trying to put 3 lbs of crap in a two lb bag

[​IMG]

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Took the liberty of reducing the quote.

Are those numbers real? Your adjuster bracket can't compensate for 3/8" additional belt? If that's the case it's time to swallow your pride and remake the bracket to accept a slightly longer belt, even if the bracket turned out real nice the first time. good luck

10. Any chance you could set up an idler - smooth - wheel against the back side of the V-belt and do your adjusting there?

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

speedway or bills makes nice brackets that will move the alt.to the other side and the adjustment moves the same way yours does now.you will have a little more room between the hose and the alt.hope that helps.i know that was not your ?

12. Common problem using alans bracket and the taller v/covers. Force the belt.

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Any time I make brackets ,3 trys seems to be the lucky number.

14. lawman

lawman

Thanks guys for all of the help. The bracket I made and the belt works great with short valve covers ( I had a pair of stock short 350 VCs) and look great also. As I want to get away from Billet brackets I may have to make a new bracket or go to short Finned valve covers. Thanks again.