Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The 1951 Grand National

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. A great story & good video. Love to see the big cars tearing around dirt, especially those Hudsons. Too bad NASCAR doesn't do dirt track racing anymore, it'd be fun to watch today's drivers "turning right to turn left".

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

In the still photo I see a Hudson (no surprise), a Nash (interesting) and... what is that? A Dodge Wayfarer? A Volvo P544? Pretty cool, I might even consider watching NASCAR if they really ran production models today.

-Dave

4. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Nash, Hudson, Studebaker... all contenders then and all orphans now.

1951 was a good year for Studebaker too:
    " June 16, 1951
    Driving a Studebaker, Frank Mundy wins the 100-mile NASCAR Grand National event on a Saturday night at Columbia Speedway in South Carolina. It is the first NASCAR Grand National event to be staged under the lights, Mundy's first career NASCAR Grand National victory, and the first win for the Studebaker nameplate."

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I don't think my car will reach 82.23 MPH on dirt,.....or asphalt.....with a down hill slope. Pretty neat to see those old cars tearing around the track like that.

6. kirkabilly

kirkabilly
    from Escalon

A buddy of mine owns the #98 Plymouth in the picture, restored. It was driven by Johnny Mantz. Kinda surprising to see that pic when I opened up the page!

[​IMG]

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This illustration is great, and hilarious! Any idea what the article was about?
    Thanks for putting it up!

Attached Files:

8. autobilly

autobilly

Cool resto!

9. Peelout30

Peelout30
    from Missouri

I bet those racers would have laughed if you told them there would eventually be a Japanese company racing someday, too bad everything's about the money and not the pride they had back then.

10. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

11. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

There will be a #43 next year.

12. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

The #98 Plymouth looks absolutely miniscule in comparison to the other two.

Cool!

13. CAVLULH

CAVLULH

I knew a six cylinder Plymouth was a winner in early Nascar but didn't know the paticulars ...found this link :http://www.legendsofnascar.com/Johnny_Mantz.htm

that sheads some light on the story behind the car and driver Johnny Mantz and how he won the 1951 Southern 500 at Darlington ...I know there is more to this story, but what has been told is the stuff of legends...

Great photo of # 98 the car that was a gopher car (go for this and go for that) was turned into a race car that came from last in line to beet the V-8 powered, Cads, Olds, & Lincoln and Twin H-Power Hudson's ...read the reast on the link..

I read where Nash in the early years was the first to send factory sponsorship...

Tom (09)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, you mean stock cars actually use to be actual stock cars? :rolleyes:

Yet another fine example of how interesting racing use to be. :(

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks