Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the point of this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearstix, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Gearstix

Gearstix

I'mma steal BigBlockMopar's pic...

[​IMG]

Whats the point of having an intake manifold like this?
    I love how it looks, I'm just wondering why it would be built like that.

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

3. To go fast..........................................

4. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Longer intake length causes a ram effect and jams more mixture into cylinder. = more power. Did you think they did it to look different?

Ago

5. Gearstix

Gearstix

A driving instructor asked my buddy why he wanted to get his license during a road test... thats what he said, he failed.

Of course not. I've just never seen one before, and I've never been much of a Mopar guy.

6. bigolds

bigolds

I get all the longer runner thing!!! But since heat rises and the carbs are sitting right over the exhaust manifolds....doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose!!!???? Yeah it looks bitchin' and I have always loved the look, But since we are on the subject....give me some insight!!!!!!

7. Gearstix

Gearstix

Yeah I noticed this too when I first saw it in the shopping cart thread...

8. R Pope

R Pope

"Wall to wall" engine. Ford and GM couldn't beat 'em, so they got NASCAR to outlaw 'em! Did the same with the Hemi a few years later.

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

The long runners are to make power. The low profile so's it'll still fit under the hood. The fact that it looks really cool is just coincidence.

10. tragic59

tragic59

Just another case of Ma Mopar's engine department thinking outside the box with greats results.

Read up on the long ram intakes, specifically at the following link: (different than above)

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/sonoramic.html

It's an impressive intake.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least they made it on the track, NASCAR was so scared of Fords 427 SOHC that it was banned before it even went in a car!

12. seen one of these intakes mounted on a ford big block at a cruise in toledo a few years back....was grafted to a custom built flanging setup to fit the ford.....

13. mottsrods

mottsrods

I've had two of these, and mated one to a BBC. The longer runner atomizes the fuel mixture with air, the long tube creates a venturi effect that litterally slams it all down a 1 3/4 in hole. The exhausts being just below only makes a big difference if the fan stops working. And besides, at 100 mph plus....who cares....just push the go pedal a little harder and hold on.

14. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

It's kinda funny you say that, because the first thing I noticed is that the engine has headers. The original factory setup used special exhaust manifolds that connected to the bottoms of the intake manifolds to give heat to the carbs.

The carbs need heat to keep them from icing up, and those manifolds need heat as the air/fuel mixture is required to travel UP from the plenum... They need heat to evaporate any fuel that falls out of suspension and pools under the carb.

15. bigolds

bigolds

Thank you Pir8Darryl...some of my friends and I have discussed this....no one really knew the answer!!!! Thanks I understand your explanation perfectly....well stated!!!!!

16. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

It would be a pain with solid lifters! Do they run oring intake seals so you can pull them easy?

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The one bad thing about those intakes is that at low speeds, the fuel would drop out of the air and puddle. They're not great on the street for day-to-day use because of that.

When I worked at a Mopar magazine, I had a '61 Plymouth Suburban 2dr station wagon, and the plan was to build a 505-inch big block, and stick one of the long ram intakes on it, but converted to EFI to eliminate the fuel puddling problem. Throttle bodies on the ends under the stock air cleaners, fuel injectors on the bottom side of the runners to hide them. As a dry intake, it would have been incredible. Not traditional for here, but would have been bitchin none the less. I left the mag before we broke ground.

As mentioned, because the special exhaust manifolds connected to the underside of the carb mount, many of these intakes are rotted out there. There's also a small metal balance tube that goes to ports on the two inside pairs of runners. It's usually missing when you spot one at the swap meet.

-Brad

18. bigolds

bigolds

DUH...but how!!!!! Thanks but I've already got my answer!!! see above!!!

19. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

No, but that setup was built back in the days when technology was expensive, and labor was cheap. Also, they were installed in high end Chrysler 300's, or factory race cars, so the people who owned them could either afford to have them serviced, or knew how to do it themselves.

One other thing, no water cross-over and a separate valley pan in the BB mopar, so pulling the manifolds to do the valves wasn't really such a big deal.

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

These were a development started with the Ram Chargers first '50 Plymouth coup "The High and Mighty" They built the first tunnel ram manifold to gain intake volicity by containing the reversion in the runners. Tuned intake. Chrysler New Yorkers couldn't have two fours sticking out of the hood and sell to old ladies, so they made a horazontial tunnel ram.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Guess you've never read my first book then Brad54...??? My friend Sam had one in 1962-63, in a two door hardtop, NEVER had a problem loping (cruising) around Fremont, Nebraska or Omaha....seldom lost any street race either...that car would literally scream.

R-

22. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I'll say. I owned one o them critters in a 300, and never had any trouble out of it. The direct contact with the exhaust manifold made the plenum screaming hot, so there were never any issues with puddling so long as they had the proper exhaust manifolds installed.

Having said that, it would not surprise me if sometime in the 70's, people tried to run them with headers and did have pooling issues, or even carb icing problems, so they might have wrongly picked up a reputation for those problems.... But I just dont know for sure.

I do remember the sound of that motor. It was like nothing else. The long rams would not reverb, so you didn't get the choppy rumble like most other cars when the carb were opened up... It was just an incredible sucking sound and it would turn heads every time I got on it.... Almost like the sound of pure evil. :cool:

23. You could get smaller versions from Edlbrock for small and big blocks.
    The way it wass explained to me, it was an attempt to get more volume into the cylinder without resorting to super or turbo charging.
    That probably dosen't explain things, but I don't really understand it either! Thanks, Mike

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Tons of fun to work on in the car.
    I had about a half a day in getting the left exh. manifold off one of them cars?

25. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

If this thread survives untill tonight, I'll try and explain the "column of air" theory to you guys. I'v got to get a couple hours of sleep right now.

26. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Bruce Crower used the long ram intake at indy in the 50s on an Offy. The mixture column gets started moving and momentum makes it crash into the intake valve causing more charge into the cylinder. He said it needed later intake cam timing to get the benifit. Other racers coppied it but didn't know about his later timing and didn't benifit as much.

Ago

27. power58

power58

Very cool Photo. Is it a 413 ? Seems that maybe a Fuel Injected Stingray did not Shut down a 413 Dual Quad Mopar. "Pedal to the Floor hear his Dual Quads Ring" You gotta Love it.

28. Bro-in-law used to own a 61 Dodge with long rams.

I have a story about the Big Dodge that was pulled by the editor of The All American Hot Rodder book.
    I'll put it up in a separate post in a few minutes.

Titled: Old Dogs and New Tricks....[/quote]

29. Got a friend who has a 60 Dodge Polara with the long rams and has had it since 64 and driven it all over the country with no problems at all, the thing still screams after all the years. He has a few other sets laying around and put one setup on a 68 Baracuda and it was cool, fit in the engine compartment perfectly. the only bad thing about them is run the wrong cam and it won't work worth a damn.

30. storm king

storm king

I never saw a Sting Ray as quick as a max wedge.
    Mopar made two systems which looked very similar, a long and short ram system. One for high RPM, one for torque. I ran a set on a 440 powered "T" bucket years ago.