Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Free 5 minute engine dolly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Jan 2, 2009.

1. This doesn't need may words... Find a cart that has gotten itself lost from it's herd... I don't know how this one got 2 miles down the road from the store it came from and left in front of my house... but who am I took look a gift horse in the mouth.
    [​IMG]

Use whjat every you want to cut the uprights... I chose a cut off wheel in an angle grinder... I made the cuts level, because sometime down the road, I will put a piece of angle across the tops and made it so the engine can be bolted down...
    [​IMG]

Since I'm pretty sure this engine is only good as a core, I just dropped it on... since these things have REALLY good bearings in the wheels, they roll around really nice... the uprights keep this engine from flopping over, and that all I needed for now.
    [​IMG]

That's it, free and it only took 5 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. groove

groove
    from kelowna BC

I like free.
    I say just take the cart from a store that forces you to use the 'self check out'.

3. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

but they NEVER go in the direction you want...

4. 48reo

48reo

this is such a coincidence I was just thinking about taking a lost cart from beside my favorite liquer store, only becouse I have a straight six that is in the way.

5. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

I use my lil red wagon(radio flyer) from when i was a kid.

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

This has been covered in detail before, but yours makes for a quick and simple use where the other was more detailed.

Watch out though - posters will be harassing you shortly here about the fact that you 'stole' the cart or didn't ask for it before you cut it up. Not me, but just sayin...

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Cart thief! Mail me those valve covers or I'm tellin!!! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

8. Dirty2

Dirty2

I like it ! But you have to have a flywheel on it .

9. 61TBird

61TBird

That's "Ratrod-eriffic"!

(I've done that myself...I really thought from the title,you were goin' the "old tire" route. But that would have been the 5 second engine dolly)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  10. 5window

5window

Well, I'll say it. Totally unidentifiable as to owner-fine ,cut it up. But taking a cart that you know where it came from is the same as wheeling it out of their parking lot. I say that's stealing it. You can overlook it, but you can't deny it.

11. Tell me the same thing when somebody dumps something in your yard... It let it sit out front for two weeks... waiting for somebody to come get it, or who ever dumped it to decide to make a return trip to the store.... and take the cart back with them.

Cart shrinkage is built into every store that has shopping carts profit margin. Except Aldi's... you pay $.25 to rent them... Of which I gladly pay...

Yes, it was stolen, but not by me, I'm just taking advantage of an opportunity...

12. Gearstix

Gearstix

Ahh good idea!
    I wonder if I can weld skiis onto it so I can tow it in the snow?

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice new years gesture offering a home to a lost homeless cart and plus giving the poor demoralized cart some meaning in it new life as hot rod helper.

14. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

man i was wonderen why that damn kroger cart keeps followen me around..
    hah

15. 48reo

48reo

got mine, now off to the store for more cut off wheels.

16. Gearstix

Gearstix

I wonder how fast it goes with the v8?

17. 59 flamezz

59 flamezz

I thought Aldi carts were a pretty good deal for a quarter. Didn't know it was a rental. Then I just melt the plastic off behind my Caddy.:eek:

18. I have one turned into a general purpose dolly, it still has the handle on it.

I don't know if the people who got it, got it legit or not, but by the time they put it out on junk day, the store had been closed before I could remember and the store itself had been two other stores and both of those closed too. So I figure it's okay that the handle still says "Cooks" on it.

They just lopped the basket off, it didn't have that forward set of support bars, so they put a piece of plywood on the base and bolted it down. I haven't done a thing to it and use it several times a year -

19. JaBoney

JaBoney

Here is my "Rescued" Dolly Cart.

Attached Files:

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Someone left two WalMart shopping carts in the parking lot at my warehouse park, which is about 10 miles from the closest WalMart, in the middle of nowhere. Weird.

So I threw one in the truck one night as I pulled in, and cut the basket off. I had some funky little table leftover from when the plastics company moved out a few buildings over and I used the top section that consists of 1x1 sq tubing and 3/8" plywood and welded it to the shopping cart to create a free welding cart. I also used the legs from the little table, along with some scrap zinc-plated strut to make a motorcycle fabrication table that pivots at the rear and tilts down to easily roll a bike on & off. No bad for free stuff laying around.

Welding cart in the background, before I mounted the bottle onto the cart...
    [​IMG]

Motorcycle Table with friend's CB550 about to get re-wired...
    [​IMG]

21. I've been using those for years. The first one had been abandoned at the end of a dead end street when I fund it and was rusty as hell. I didn't feel the least bit guilty about repurposing it. A year ago I was at an estate sale for a man who had ran a local IGA and ended up getting 3 more given to me for hauling them off. I have one dedicated to it's original perpose. It's the handiest thing in the world when it comes time to unloading the car after a trip to the market. I've seen them go pretty cheap at auctions too, if there isn't a guy there who wants all of them for another store.

22. r8odecay

r8odecay

if you 'find' the older steel basket type carts, the basket part turned up on end and cut up accordingly makes a bitchen seat frame. My dad's 1960 era tech.

23. RichG

RichG

You want to use the carts that have the metal baskets, that way you can have a new barbeque AND an engine stand.

24. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

25. Gearstix

Gearstix

Thats a neat intake!

26. 5window

5window

I'm not going to argue the point-you either think you did right,or think you really didn't. The police would look at it as receiving stolen property (if they cared to bother about it) and you could have taken it back if the store was just 10 minutes away. The fact that stores figure "missing carts and missing merchandise" into their operating costs still doesn't give you the right to cause them to ultimately be missing. I am no saint for sure, just think you're wrong on this one.

It's a nice project,though.

27. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Here is my dolly. Hemi engine fits on this with motor mounts and trans. just pickup with hoist and put in car. its low so engine will roll under workbench.

The 3-71 is not for sale.

Ago

Attached Files:

28. mcload

mcload

With engine dollies/cradles available at Northern Freight for $35, makes little sense to take a chance being seen by fuzz loading a shopping cart into your truck.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  29. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey, the rest makes a cool swap meet cart too! Dont throw anything away!
    [​IMG]

30. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny how the 'tough' and righteous get on here and want to cut a car thief's nuts off, but receiving stolen property doesn't seem to bother them. In my book, it's the same as stealing something.

Can't wait for your post when YOU get ripped off!!