Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I lower my bomb? ¿Como bajo tan eres?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Michelle, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

2. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

:)Cool thanks Kreepea and mi novia26. That article on the Street Rods and the contact info for Jim Meyers, should prove to be very useful. Many thanks to all who have given encouragement and helpful info. This kind of help, is what I like about the HAMB.

Again, thanks to all who responded.;)
    Michelle

3. 53choptop

53choptop

This is my brothers 48 fleetline, camaro front clip and rear end, bags all around.

1948 fleetline<br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=40085536,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=40085536,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Should you decide to go the MII route you can still run your 6-lug rims. Check our Seller's Chevy 6-Lug Hubs for MII Spindles .

5. Orn

Orn

6. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea Kreepea, I saw those six lug discs being plugged on the Garage Magazine, Chicks Rule, issue. I just didn't understand why Sellers would make MII discs if there were no way to use them on stock Chevy suspension. It was only after I started this thread that I put two and two together. Pretty dumb huh? Well, no one ever accused my of being smart.

Thanks Orn, that is a good bit of info in the Lowrider Magazine. I think I bought just one of the three part serious. I wish I would have bought the issue that covered the how to on the rear spring part of the bag job.

Thanks again to all.
    Michelle

7. JAWS

JAWS

I haven't seen anyone mention the woes about mustang II fronts.

I've had one in my 46 coupe for 5 years now with 80K+ miles. It's got 2" drop spindles. I've had to rebuild it more times than I like cause they aren't very tough. Mostly ball joints and tierod ends. The rack I've done twice(power). My biggest bitch is that they are too narrow. The track width is 56 compared to 60 at the rear. Makes for grabbing ruts. I fixed the problem with those wheel adapter aluminum things that are and inch and a half wide and not cheap. It pushed the front wheels out the same width as the rear.

For the narrower cars they are fine, like earlier chevies and most fords. I should also mention that I used a universal MII style unit, and I have heard that the ones made specifically for these cars is wider.

All I know is I drive mine everyday and the next rebuild will be with a camaro clip. I'm a bit OCD so don't take my word for it, my friends tell me my car rides like a caddy now. I just want perfect!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  8. uleman

uleman

This is my '41 pontiac
    If you really want low -- bag it
    MII front end
    four link rear
    all done on the original chassis. The only thing I should have done differently is channel the body.
    It's just not low enough

Attached Files:

9. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Uleman, that car is pretty low. Maybe could go another inch, but looks pretty good to me.

JAWS, so then are you saying the MII is not that good or just the MII's that are not specifically made for the '42-'48 Chevys?

Michelle

10. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

If you decide to bag it do not leave the stock leafs it will ride like crap.I have a 47 and when I bought it the bags were used with the stock leafs on the rear and I hated it.I ripped it all out and am currently trying to get it straightened out.There is a company called Walton industries I think or Walton something that sell only parts for 40s and 50s chevys and are priced fair.I have seen them at the Fathers day swap at Pomona every year.Nice car you have any way it sits.

11. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Cool, thanks for that info. If you should find the contact info for this walton company, please post it here for all to learn. I have only been to the Father's Day Roadster show a couple of times, so I don't really recall seeing them. Besides, I usually spend most of my time in the overflow, where all the cool old parts sellers are. Generally better stuff there, outside the main show.

Thanks for the info.
    Michelle

12. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

www.waltonfabrication.com I always go through the vendors early so I can get a breakfast sandwich and then out to the real swapmeet.

13. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

When I've gone, I always went earley, but, I didn't know they gave a free breakfast. Hmmm, go figure.

14. My 38 has the same front end as your 48, and I've been considering the options and have looked at the fatman spindles, as well as the Chassis engineering Mustang II. Personally I've decided on the Mustang II. Yes, it's more work and more money, but not that much more considering what you'll be getting.

The chassis engineering mustang II is a bolt in deal, no welding. the fatman spindles and steering arms seem pricey ($500 is it?) since you can get an entire Mustang II kit for around $1200.

Plus, I just like how a chevy with a MII drives. I don't really like how my car drives now.

If you've got the tools and the space and the help, save up for the Mustang II. It'll drive good and be in the weeds too.

15. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Ok, 38chev, sounds logical so far. So, do you have the link for Chassis Engineering?

I was told that Total Cost Involved has an MII set up for Chevys that has air bags already installed in it from TCI.

Michelle

16. The website is www.chassisengineeringinc.com The website sucks, it won't be much help. I'm not trying to sway you toward their products, but I've seen them and they're nice, and I can't weld so I like the bolt in.

TCI is a great well known company so that would be a good choice especially if you want bags. Keep us updated, and do a tech thread.

17. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea, I can't weld either, so if I do decide to tackle this, after I have enough duckets, I will definetly post it. Aftert all, it was Dudeman who got me to thinking about how I should achieve madness.:cool:

Michelle

18. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

this is what i did to mine

Attached Files:

19. mi novia26

mi novia26
    from Montclair

im not the kind of person to talk about some ones work, but that A arm doesent look right. you cant cut up the end and then weld it to the top of the bottom A arm. it could snap brake or crack. its fun to build a car and Kustomize one but safty first, just save the money and buy the mII bolt on kit with air bags and ask for the 6 lug hubs and do it right. like i said safty first.:cool:

20. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

yea, totally understand about safet. But, I do dig that bomb in the trunk of that bomb. Thats a cool way to dress up the air tank, or what have you (hydrolic tank).

Thanks for the post of the pics '51bomber.
    I would probably tend to agree with mi novia26, but that gives me a good idea on how to dress up the air tank.
    Thanks again,
    Michelle

21. skyrodder

skyrodder

what does ¿Como bajo tan eres? mean?

22. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Oh, forgive me. My Spanish sucks, but I'm only half Mexican anyway. I was trying to say how low are you?

So forgive.

23. waynesworld

waynesworld

Chassis Engineering MII front lowered 2" and 2" lowering block in the rear. 14" wheels.

[​IMG]

24. skyrodder

skyrodder

Ok i was just askin.... :D

25. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

That's pretty cool. Kinda lookin like the bombs of the early Lowrider Mag's.
    I must keep the six lug pattern though. I'm running artilleries.

26. sawzall

sawzall

Michelle, follow the link to photos of my install (above) it should spell most of the questions out in pictures.. truely.. the stock crossmember unbolts and "falls out" the new bolts in..

jaws.. I think that the CE kit puts the wheels in the correct place.. I am running 49 - 52 chevy wheels on my coupe.. they are pretty narrow.. I havent noticed that my car grabs the "ruts" and if I recall correctly mustang II ball joints are more robust than camaro..

uleman.. I agree.. needs to be lower! what a beauty!

27. JAWS

JAWS

Well, like I said I used a universal one and from what sawzall said, CE makes the right width one. I may look in to that one as well to change this one out.
    I just don't want you to make the same mistake I did.:D

28. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Cool, and thanks again Sawzall and Jaws for your much valued information. I really appreciate your taking time to post for any and all others who might have had similar questions such as mine.

Too all of you that told me about the Chevybombs.com forum, I thank you. I already have an acount there, however, I am contemplating deleting it as I just don't feel it is appropriate for the site to be sponsoring photos of half naked women. So, please be advised that I am fully aware of this particular bomb forum, and that I deliberately choose not to invest, or waste rather, any of my valuable time on that forum.

Now, I will return the soap box to its rightful owners.
    Michelle

29. bward76

bward76

[​IMG]Hi Michelle,

I just joined and thought I would throw a few bits in as I just went through the same thing with my 48 chevy. I just installed a weld in MII kit from "JW Rod Garage" and was vesr impressed with the product and service. I called all of them before plunking down a couple grand and also hit up the members in my car club. I learned alot about the various companies and heard good and bad about most of them. I decided on the air bag set up and was surprised with the adjustability of it. At full ride height, it's lowered 6" but can be easily brought up with the spacer above the airbag. As you can see, there is a little more welding to do. I was very happy with the kit I purchased and was very impressed with the robust quality of it. Bee carefull as there are a lot of kits made in china with much lower quality. Hope this helps.

Bob [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  30. bward76

bward76

Sorry for the lack of pics, I'm still trying to figure out fotki.
    Bob