Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does everyone do for a living???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemizach, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lindaswalker@cableone.net

[email protected]

I operate boilers and work on my car on my days off.

2. I sell products used for cleaning up oil and gas spills. I wish I'd figured out the tree hugger bit when I was in college, I probably would have gotten laid.
    I like cars powered by gasoline with oil in the crankcase because they make messes that need to be cleaned up. I also like them because the are loud, obnoxious and offend people.
    I occasionally get a chance to put in time at the NHRA Museum. Exposure to rodders and racers from around the world and the US is unbeatable.

3. talker

talker

30 years classic car sales and service.55yrs drag racing as owner. driver . promoter.and announcer.presently n.h.r.a. hrr Bowling Green .Mostly having a good time talker

4. hollowpoint

hollowpoint

i inspect welded frames and support assemblies for robinson helicopter in torrance, ca.
    or at least i did when we went on the christmas/new year shutdown back on dec 22. hope we will all still have jobs in the coming new year the way the economy is heading.
    i like being a weld inspector but the guys hate for me to look at their welding on the hot rods. tuff for me to not speak up when i see inferior or cold welds on important structures or stress points.

later dudes
    chuck
    :D

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Salesman, new home construction products-insulation, gutters, mirrors, shower doors, wire shelving - I've had 3 idiot bosses in 8 years - business sucks - company sucks - could be closing down in a couple months - I envy any of you that enjoy your jobs - I'm 58 and would rather be in the hot rod building business!!

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Pipe fitter/welder/fabricator.....Rain for Rent

7. 067chevy

067chevy

Build hot rods, deal in vintage tin and parts and have a hell of a good time doing it and it pays my bills just fine. Don't let anyone tell you you can't make a living having fun doing what you love to do.

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Machinist

Ago

9. weldtoride

weldtoride

I noticed a bunch of teachers in the list above, so I searched the members list and found 43 members listed as shop teachers and over 500 others as teachers

As for me, right out of college I apprenticed as a Ford tech before I started teaching high school auto shop and welding for 15 years, then did a 3 year stint in the mid '80s as a Porsche/Audi tech when school was burning me out, found my motivation again and went back to finish teaching with 33 years, just recently started pulling retirement checks. Worked lots of summers as carpenter and still do side jobs.

Wrote 2 tech articles recently for Hometown Hot Rod, like to write more.

10. 61TBird

61TBird

Witness Protection Program....

But seriously,I'm a Residential Recycle Truck driver.
    Yeah,I'm the guy waking up the neighborhood at 6:30 in the morning!

11. i work in a small hotrod shop out here in rural ny and damn its not lookin good. soon ill be looking for a new job. it was fun for a while, but its not a real job. do hotrod/custom stuff for fun and dont make a "job" outa it. thats what id recomend.

12. 21+ years as a Software / Systems Engineer working on Tomahawk Command & Control Systems for the US Navy.

13. Joe King

Joe King

THE WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS JOBBBBBB think Alaska

14. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I'm an electrical engineer. Worked for the same company for 32 years. Currently design industrial instrumentation that measure temperature. It use to be a lot cooler when I was designing instruments for fighter planes.

15. chad

chad

Welder/ fitter/fabricator....Also bodyman...

16. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Worked as a toolmaker, machinist, & moldmaker in a job shop for 28 yrs, went to FOMOCO in 2001, took the buyout in 2007 due to the low seniority bullshit. Guess Im pretty lucky, got a pretty good machine shop @ home, somtimes I can pick up some pretty good $$, sometimes I just work on my projects, life's good.

17. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

Mostly kitchens and baths but do alot of decks, basements and room additions too. Lots of tile.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. I work as a Manufacturing Engineer for a large defense contractor. I do tool design, work instructions, sit on the MRB (discrepant material review board), handle any vendor related problems as well as internal manufacturing problems.

I started with the company in 1981 as a machinist class "c" and worked my way up. Have to see how things go with a new president in office.

I have a BS in Manufacturing Engineering, an AAS in Mechanical Engineering and another AAS in Automotive Engineering.

I do machine shop work on the side, have my own shop in my garage at home and do work as a hired gun in another shop doing anything from running CNC lathes and mills to methodizing the work.

Bob

19. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

You don't have to work on cars to get into enjoying them. I'm sure it's a rather small percentage of rodders that are in the car business.

As you can tell from some of the other posts already, if you have cars in your face almost every waking hour, are you going to do the same thing to get away from the work you do every day? I sell building materials. Things have slacked for sure, but it makes working on my cars that much more special to reduce the stress.

I have friends that work on everyone elses cars every day and get too burned out to do anything on their own. Now that is SAD, ain't it? Keep a balance and enjoy. If our special cars could talk, they would say "gotta love em"

20. I'm a Baptist minister by background, a pastor for 20+ years. Currently working for the Department of Family and Children Services in Polk County GA. I mainly do adoptions and some foster care. Been a gearhead all my life, other than working in a body shop when I was in high school I've never worked on cars for a living. When I've had a frustrating day of dealing with people, it feels good to come home, raise the hood on the '38 Ford pickup or the '55 Ford and see something I halfway understand and can fix when it breaks.

21. My49Plymouth

My49Plymouth

I am a process engineer ... current major responsibility is process manager for the carbon brake parts for the V22 Osprey

v22.jpg

22. saints

saints

Im a forman for Oklahoma natural gas....Mostly work cut main lines

23. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

I am a Project Manager for a large construction company. This is a picture of my last project (yes the entire thing, demo old and built new 34 story building)

Attached Files:

24. Hemizach

Hemizach

Crab fishing is the only thing that comes to mind....

25. NORTH30FORD

NORTH30FORD

Design and build custom furniture and cabinets. ATTACH]567138[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

26. I am the Director of Operations for a medium sized trucking company but a licensed mechanic by trade.

27. cosmo53

cosmo53

28. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

Ice trucker

29. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

I teach high school Auto Collision Tech II / Hot Rodding 101 coupled with Life 101.
    I try to work in as much work on hot rods as possible.

I also own shop that does hot rod/ custom work on pre-74 cars. I hire the best students to work in the shop for summer and weekends. We only do cars for customers that are not in a hurry.

And for my money making hobby the last 10 years I have been a Tech Official for USHRA Monster Jam (monster truck shows). I do the tech pre show inspection on the trucks and direct the competition during the event.

And I never get tired of working on old cars, it's the new ones that will wear you out....I just wish I had more time to work on my projects.

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Sarah Palin's bullshit detector?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.