Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH - How to PROPERLY load your trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ems customer service

ems customer service

i hit the scales when i thought a was heavy how this

going to the swap meet with 96 f-150 with14' trailer scaled @ 13,887pounds, do you think i was overloaded?????????????????????

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I have a handful of what are left of the ones my Uncle (Sam) gave me before I got out of the USAF. They are 5000# rated, and are rated for up to 10,000# when they are doubled back onto themselves, so they are stronger than some chains. That and they'll give just a bit rather than snap or break.

The other thing to remember when using chains is that the chain may be stronger than hell, but if the tie down point is weak, then the chain isn't holding much. I like to use the stake pockets on my trailer to secure my loads, but I've got at least one stake pocket that has been ripped off by the winch I have.

Point is, even if you have a 25,000# rated chain and boomer, if it is secured to a 5000# capacity tie down point, then it is only good for 5000#.

3. I used a balance beam scale to get the correct weight on the hitch. I adjusted the car position for the correct weight then attached low stops for easy loading of the same car.
    Good trailer brakes have saved my butt many times.

4. Well - here is the wrong way to set up for a haul :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. We see stuff like this going down the freeway in Dallas everyday. We always try to give them a WIDE berth!!!
    More accidents seem to be caused by 18 wheelers going too fast around here than anything else. Maybe it's just my perception.
    Some times we will take our lawn chairs to the gate at the swap meets just to see the "circus" coming in.
    I am constantly suprised at the condition of some of the trailers I see around here. Thanks, Mike :eek::eek::eek:

6. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Thanks for the info. Pulled our enclosed trailer to a swap meet this fall, after my father loaded it...with all the heavy stuff to the front...made for an interesting ride...Won't do that again!

7. It's been a while since I towed race cars regularly. But, I remember putting the tongue wheel on a bathroom scale and shooting for about a 150-200 Lb tongue weight