Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early alloy wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ocezam, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ocezam

ocezam

Can any one definitively tell me how early alloy wheels came on the scene? Specifically I'd like to know about Torque Thrust type wheels and "slotted mags"

Do I have to have a certain number of post B4 posting pics?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. alchemy

alchemy

The earliest magnesium (not to be confused with aluminum) wheels were built around 1949 for racing. They were solid, no holes.

The Halibrands with small slots came about 1953-ish, I think. These eventually evolved into the slotted mags of the 60's, produced by dozens of manufacturers.

I'd say the American (Palamedies) five-spoke wheels where introduced around 1963. But check the Roadsters.com website for more history on these.

3. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

There have been alloy wheels around for about as long as there have been automobiles

Way Early......... before you were born. :)

5. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, Bluto is correct (he usually is). I was guessing the poster meant wheels directed at us hot rodders. Halibrands, Palamedies, etc.

6. Weasel

Weasel

Bugatti for example...

7. ocezam

ocezam

Yeah, this is what I had in mind. I'm in the very early stages of planning a rod to be built when we're empty nesters 3-4 years from now. I'd like it to be reasonably period correct for a rod built in '62 or so. I figured Halibrands would work but torque thrusts, Palamedies?, similar to what Mcqueen had on his '68 stang ring my bell a bit more. Are they that old?

Ideally, for me, it would be a Deuce or A highboy coupe with perhaps a 409, four speed.