Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3 1/2 lake header baffels HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mophead, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mophead

mophead
    from sw va.

took my 31 coupe out today & need to quiet it down some, I goot speedway header kit 3 1/2 will vw stinger baffels work? if not what will CHEAP-CHEAP

Attached Files:

2. svo

svo

I used VW stinger baffles for my speedway lakes kit.

Just had to drill some holes and weld on a bigass washer on the large end.
    I also opened up the pre made slits on the VW baffles with a screwdriver, and also put a tab for the bolt.

If I can remember it,. I will take one out tommorrow and get a picture for ya.

3. mophead

mophead
    from sw va.

Thanks Alot , I always ran them under my cars but thats not an option on this one, LOW-LOW

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Get an old glass pack and cut the outter shell off and use the guts.
    You should be able to find plenty of those at a juck yard.

5. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I love the stance of your car. Unchopped and severely channeled. Sweet

6. dudley32

dudley32

a buddy of mine did something kind of ingenious...or at least I thought..he simply cut 2 circles out of 1/8 in. plate...one smaller one larger...drilled the center about 1 in. then drilled a bunch of small holes..stuck a 1 in. tube in and welded it up ..homemade baffels..small tab on the back for a bolt...not loud enough...drill more holes

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My buddy runs conical mufflers in the collectors of his dragster. It still barks pretty good at full song, but is quieted substantially at lesser power settings. They have quite a few slots in them, and don't make much difference on power; maybe you could use two staged up the collector for street use. If you can find them, I don't think they are too expensive, but you might be able to make some if you are moderately crafty.

8. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I have that same kit on my '31 and I am running motorcycle baffles partially wrapped in fiberglass... I wan to to pack them with some other material(i.e. steel wool, etc) to see how the sound differs...

9. mophead

mophead
    from sw va.

THANKS for the info , it sounds good to me but I think the law is going to think otherwise

10. I've used the stinger baffles with fiberglass but it kept catching fire, so I used coarse steel wool and that worked perfectly.

11. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

The VW stinger baffle looks just like the motorcycle baffle that I put in mine... the MC baffle is just longer...

12. svo

svo

my VW baffles came with the fiberglass sheeting. I used that. worked good,..just dont last very long. wrapped them with the sheeting,.and then use stainless welding wire to tie to each end and wrap around to hold it in place.

That fiberglass sheet stuff is kinda like cotton I guess. There were tiny strands of the fiberglass flying all over the place when I first started it up. That shit gets everywhere! It stopped that after several miles.

I need to re-wrap them. I read somewhere that you can use some sort of fiberglass rope stuff supposed to be for Kiln insulator or something. Home depot should have it.
    I am going to try some of that next.

13. Dan1955

Dan1955

I used the VW Baja Stinger baffles in my lake headers as well. I went to a motorcycle shop and bought a baffle wrap kit. Not real expensive and works well.

14. mophead

mophead
    from sw va.

Thanks again, what kind of sound will this give me?

15. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

stingers sound great, but wear out kinda fast... get some better muffler packing to put in there, they have SUCH a nice deep sound when they first go on, then they slowly get louder and louder..

16. svo

svo

oops. forgot about this thread.

Well here are mine. most of the wrapping is gone now but are still a lot more quiet than without.

Attached Files:

17. Garyr

Garyr

How do you get the baffels out, mine won't budge. Are there spot welds or do I need explosives?

18. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Hey did you ever get a sound file posted? I'd love to hear 'em.

20. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No I don't know how to do it.

21. bastard

bastard
    from colorado

Here is how i did mine it is on my motorcycle but started with the same speedyway cone. I turned a piece of stainless down for a end cap welded a piece of 2 1/2 inch tube to that drilled a lot of holes in it wrap with muffler packing from the local motorcross shop. and your done.

Attached Files:

22. svo

svo

I drilled a small hole at the end of each one.

After removing the screw, I take the wrench and tap it from side to side as I pull it with this tool.....

Attached Files: