Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody here ever made a steering wheel from scratch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearstix, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Gearstix

Gearstix

I have a Grant Challenger wheel thats black, I wish it was the wood grain one not the foam one.
    I'm thinking of either
    A) making a new ring with wood trim on it, I have a way to do it in my head
    B)make a wheel from scratch, I would like to make a 40s-50s style wheels, the ones with the single bar that goes through the steering wheel..

What about airplane yokes, anybody have one of those?

Has anybody made a wheel (or customized one?)

2. budd

budd

i have been thinking of makeing a wheel out of marble or granite as the ring, make a center much the same as a bango wheel, i also have a friend who i have talked to about turning me a new wood ring for my 28 chevy wheel, he has birds eye yellow cedar and i know it would look great.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Many many people have made steering wheels from scratch is they are mounting to a adapter like a modern aftermarket wheel using 3 bolts like older Grant's or the 6-8 bolts like the later ones.
    You can also make wheels FROM wheels.

Wheels are generally made from a steel center hub(tapered and keyed or or splined), to which are welded spokes of steel round bar stokc or sometimes sheared and trimmed plate reaching out and welded to a ring of steel round bar stock. The wheel core is then put into a mould and plastic or other material is injected into the mould resulting in a finished wheel when removed and trimmed and possibly painted.

Many folks have taken a large diameter wheel with a hub/spoke pattern they liked and reduced the diameter buy cutting off the large ring from their wheel and welding on a smaller id donor ring from another wheel. Then filling the gaps around and over the welds, finishing and painting.

You can take almost any wheel and remove the plastic to the core, make any modifications you desire, and cover with wood, "stone"(?), or other material or mould with resin then carve or trim or smooth and paint.

Use your imagination, BUT remember the quality of your welding and steel is going to be keeping you alive and in control of your car and your passenger's lives are in your hands.

4. there have been a couple of these techs posted over the years of the HAMB. Both wood and metal actual wheel. You may have to wade through some posts, but I would do a search in the archives.

5. Gearstix

Gearstix

What I was thinking was taking an old plane yolk and using that as the bar, making an adapter plate to fit my 3 bolt grant adapter, and making a steel hoop to form the wheel part. I have an idea how to make the wood fit around the wheel, but not sure how to affix it.
    [​IMG]

Looks like rivets or something on this, but how would you not cut up your hand with them?

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

Yep, I took a Grant and cut off the foam and the outer ring. Adapted it to my old hub and added some aluminum for the horn ring. This is what it looks like. No longer a bulky 19" eye sore.

I also made a Banjo wheel this same way then had it wrapped in leather for a small fee....cheaper than an actual Banjo.

Attached Files:

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  9. I made this for my dragster from scrap steel and some black cherry I had lying around from my fiddle making hobby. It isnt perfect but was fine for my Sr dragster project. Next one would be better.
    Don

Attached Files:

10. jaxx

jaxx

here is mine built for my scratch built 26 dodge bucket

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Did you know the Mopar Pentastar emblem is actually a five-pointed star with the points folded down into the center section?

Well, now you do.