Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the coolest...most traditional period correct wheel tire combo for the 60s?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Jan 1, 2009.

1. knucklescars

knucklescars

I'm just a FNG and i am running stock 14's and caps on my '62 chevy. Could someone please explain to this FNG why reverses are called reverses? I can only imagine it is because one would put them on reversed. I don't even know what THAT means!

2. turdytoo

turdytoo

If you will notice the rear wheel just above your post, the outer part of the rim is now on the inside, hense, reversed.

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Those were cheap tires for Volkswagons in front on the 7X15's and the rear were Goodyear Blue Streaks on the 8 1/2 X 15's in the rear. We would get used Blue Streaks off of race cars from Caldwell Tires in Pasadena...which was real stupid and not something that I would do today, even if they were available.
    We used to get our goodies at Jon's Speed Shop in San Gabriel, the Americans were about $50 apiece back then...but that was 1967...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  4. thepoz57

thepoz57

5. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Original, straight spoke Americans with blackwalls or Radirs with whites.

6. 26 coupe

26 coupe

In 1968 I had chrome reverse wheels with Inglewood wide oval red line tires.

7. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

In '65 alot of guys ran black stock rims with baby moons and 1 inch white walls. Some didn't do the hubcaps at all,mabey just chrome lugnuts. By '67 it was Crager SS in front and chrome reverse in back. By '70 it was ansen sprint (slots) all around. N.N.

8. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I am really starting to like the gloss black wheels with chrome bullets and chrome lugs.. small wide whites.cool for sure... but not sure with an all black truck. too much?

9. 65fordguy

65fordguy

dunno.. I had found this truck awhile back... I always liked it... only personally I am not going to lower the truck... so for me Ive contemplated going with a larger steel wheel.... like a 17 from rally america or something... just to give a lower appearance.
    [​IMG]

10. Honestly, a 65 Truck done in the mid 60's sure wouldn't have been flat black! It would have been a brand new truck and not really a hot rod candidate at that point. Here in So Cal most likely the only fixed up new truck would have been most likely a shop truck or a tow/push truck for a dragster and if it had custom wheels I'd say more often than not Ansen Sprints/US Slots or Torque Thrusts.

11. And then we'd take em back to Caldwell's and have em recapped!

12. A 17 will definitely not be 60's!

13. 65fordguy

65fordguy

yes... true... but stock is boring. :D and I really like semi gloss black... I am building this to be a shop truck of sorts.. more to honor my dad and his old shop.. he was shot at his shop in the 70s and became paralyzed on his right side and had to sell the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 65fordguy

65fordguy

[​IMG]

What about those wheels from early wheel... would it look at home on a 65 ford truck?

I like the slots in the wheel.. over the plain oem or smoothie. they offer a ford hub.

http://earlywheel.com/rallywheels.html

15. 65fordguy

65fordguy

and these too...

[​IMG]

16. Americans have been on my '55 since 1966-67...

[​IMG]

17. Best answer.

18. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Ansen Sprints on a truck in a classic trucks magazine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. novadude

novadude

When did Chrome reverse wheels become "uncool" w/ the street crowd? Seems like I see a lot of "day 2" pictures of '64-66 GTOs, Chevelles, etc wearing chrome reverse wheels. Did mag wheels take over completely by '68-69 time period, or was it still "cool" to have chrome reverses? Pretty sure that Chrome steelies were considered old hat by the 1970s.... when did they die?

20. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Chrome Reverses for 60-65 after that go aluminum Kidney Beans or Amerian Thrusts. Drag car late 60's you can go with the SS Cragars.

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Of the 50s, popular in the 60s,......
    [/U][/U]Wide-5 reversed. Chromed or Painted, didn't matter.

22. Larry T

Larry T

If it makes any difference, the first Rally Wheels came out in 1967 and became pretty common in 68/69.
    Larry T

23. super-six

super-six

In the mid-sixties, 5-spoke Mickey Thompson's w/o centercaps, Cragar's, and Astro's were popular around this area. 5-spoke American's were cool, but none of us kids could afford them at $50 apiece!

24. Damn nice logo, my friend! Whatever you do, put THAT on the truck!
    Thanks, Mike

25. In my area of So Cal, Chrome reverse were out of style by 66-67. They said you couldn't afford mags. Doesn't mean you didn't see em, they just weren't the happening thing anymore

26. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

I like the Crager SS's I put on our '63 Studebaker Avanti. Next is a set of red line tires. That says '60's to me.[​IMG]

27. That's cool that you are doing that. Your original question seemed to be one of authenticity for the era so that's how I answered. Since you really aren't looking to make it the way it would have been in the 60's, I think the red steelies actually look good for what you are doing.

I'd actually like to see you put that very cool logo on a shiny paint job and go with Sprints, I think you'd like the look and it would be a great tribute.

28. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

[​IMG]
    Rims painted white with baby moons, Chrome rims, MT mags, Americans & Cragars

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  29. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

If that '65 F-100 was mine, I'd put some baby Moons on it and drive it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This new pair of Firestone 8.20 by 15 pie-crust slicks was ordered by a tire store for a customer who changed his mind, and the store was stuck with them. They sat on Craigslist here for a week at $250, so the seller relisted them at $200 and I bought them.

They're now mounted on 1960s aluminum American Racing 15 by 8 1/2 Torq-Thrust wheels that I sanded and gave a brushed finish.

Since then, after much searching, I have found a barber who can change my hair from late-Sixties to early-Sixties.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

30. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Thanks... He ran a full service station ... Joes Texaco... real cool shop had 2 bays on it... and an apartment out back... it is now some kinda art and crafts shop. :eek: O well... his legacy lives on... he took in a few local kids to help work one of them runs a well known shop there... best next to the dealers... he befriended a one armed drunkard by the name of arlester who had the iq of a rat... but he kept the shop clean... dad bailed him out ever other day or two. Although retired my dad makes a living rebuilding carbs.. and doing small engine repair... one handed at that. one of his last jobs was a 4 carb kawasaki engine for my father in law... and he helped me tune my 5.0 about 2 months ago.