Register now to get rid of these ads!

80% done and drop disease!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by helmsville, Dec 31, 2008.

1. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i do the same thing. i get about 75% done and start driving them. never finish anything. its more fun this way john

2. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

I now know I'm not alone!!! I too have that drive it disease! Along with a severe lack of funds!!! Divorce in progress!!! Life and Hot Rods on hold!!

3. I have the same problem.Get kidded about it all the time.Only I don't care to drive them.I get them looking like I like,or like I see them in my mind,then I put it away and start on another one.I got a 65 Vette that all it needs is the engine put back in and the carpet and seats put it.Been sitting like that for over 10 years now.My avitar runs but needs mufflers,headliner and door panels,so to me its done,haven't worked on it in two years.I think some of us just like to do the rough work and not the details and the driving.I am starting on my 34 pickup now and looking for another project I don't need after that.

4. 46stude

46stude

That is me, too.

I've "built" my Studebaker truck 4 times................... in my head, mostly.

I get a vision, gather a bunch of parts, then it sits in some perverted 1/2 assed mock up stage indefinately. Then another vision hits, I tear it back apart, sell off the previously gathered parts, & start all over....again.

Matter o' fact, I'm fixing to tear the truck back apart again & start another direction. At least I'm good about keeping the same project. I got a buddy in Minnesota who does the same basic thing- except he sells the whole darn vehicle off & starts from scratch every time!
    :DYou out there, Ted??

5. took me 13 years to get the thing to 80%, still needs interior after another 2 years, no finish date in sight.... don't much care... too much fun to drive.... I keep spending the money on my other project... but on the plus side, it gets nice unfinished project trophys sometimes ...

6. I start a project and I'm thinking about the next and How I would make or do something different.Isn't that Normal

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

how do you gauge the last 20%?

paint and upholstery?

that sounds like 80% right there.

I'm driving mine now

8. fordcpe

fordcpe

Even if I do get it to 99% it is never done.I will not like something so it will need to be changed.My camaro is done as of 1986 but has went thrugh 6 engine and trans combos since then. New exaust, caltrak bars and other stuff on the shelf. The 34 still need the door windows installed a head liner the back is to change the rear spring.Need to paint hood sides and the new wiring harness. I'm sure thiers more to do but I need to go drive it. its more fun.Darrell

Attached Files:

9. Abomb

Abomb

Hi, my name is Chris, and I have automotive attention deficet disorder...AADD......

10. Spedley

Spedley

I call it 33% disease.... I do a third of a job, move on to the next that I have a great idea for, and do 33% of that one, then onto another one, do 33%, and remeber I gotta do something to the first. 33% of that job, then onto another.... It's a vicious circle.... feels good to know I'm not alone...

11. Concrete B

Concrete B

I've never been able to put it into words! Thats me to the T!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Mart, Have a Happy New Year!:)

13. Concrete B

Concrete B

14. Dueceburnout

Dueceburnout

hey chris drop your 80% roadster. i'll give you my 20% car, and we can trade back after you get my cars body work 80% done. and yes i'm in the same boat. but my numbers are much lower.

15. Fe26

Fe26

I've just tought of a nickname for a friend of mine (Mr 20%). Most of his time is spent
    finishing other peoples projects. He buys unfinished boats and cars, does the necessary work, sells for a profit.
    Even though he's retired this is a full time job.

If you can't finish something before you start the next thing, your on a treadmill.

You know what to do....

16. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

Weird. I'm the same way. Rush, rush, rush, get 'em running, then lose interest. It's the same with chics - once you get in their britches you feel like you've accomplished something, then lose interst. :D

17. Squablow

Squablow

This winter I've been working on a car that was "almost done" for the last few years and has just been sitting around. I thought I was 80% done but that last 20% is going to take all winter.

I didn't even plan to work on this one, the car just won the game of musical chairs and was in the shop when the snow started falling.

18. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

Wait, your cars run and drive? That must be my problem. LOL

19. YAPP

YAPP

The best part is selling the 80%er off at a loss to fund the next one.

I don't sell anything unless I can absolutely positively make sure I lose my ass doing it.

20. My '37 Terraplane has needed the running boards attached, and the heater and wiper assembly installed...for about two and a half years now! That's all it needs to really BE finished!

This past year, I've bought or traded for the following, fully intending on THAT one being the next project...yeah. Sure. Right.

'65 F250 for a '66 Chev C-10, then that for a '66 C-10 panel truck, then that for a...?

'48 Ford Deluxe 2-dr sedan for a '48 Chevy coupe for a ???

'48 Chevy Aerosedan (and maybe the '48 coupe!) for paint/body work on my '56 wagon.

'68 Dodge D100 (very decent truck overall, and run/drive) for a '56 Plymouth wagon. THIS one, I've decided to actually DO and get it on the road by late Spring '09.

21. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I think most people under estimate, paint and upholstery. Paint and upholstery, in my opinion accounts for 40%+.
    So if your skip, those things, you are really just 60% there:D, at least financially.

22. Concrete B

Concrete B

I hear ya there!

23. I usually get to paint and not finish the interior and a bunch of other stuff take it to a couple of shows lose intrest, and then finish it so I can sell it!

24. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I usually get em to 80% drive the piss out of them, wear them out, then tear em back down to 10% and start over....Did that with my 49 AD twice in 13 years...now I'm to the point that I'm sick of working on it and want to "finish" it...but had one to many Dr Peppers and decided to section it....oi....that one bumped me down to .002% complete...I'm to the point that if I could affort to hire someone to finish the blasted thing I would...(but unfortunatly I cant afford it) so here I sit, with car parts throughout my house...