Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another New Guy

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by DynoDave, Dec 30, 2008.

1. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

I have a line on a free '89 Range Rover, with a later version of the old Buick 215 (this one at 3.9 liters instead of 3.5). I told the guy I'd have to do some homework. I felt this aluminum V8 would make a great little engine for a rod, but didn't know any of the specifics (headers, parts availability, how to ditch the ZF auto. trans and t-case for a domestic trans (TH350 or other), etc. etc. etc. I've been a Garage Journal member for several years, and knew the H.A.M.B. would be the place to check first.

Doing a couple of searches on Buick 215 and Rover V8, I came up with answers to all of the questions that I have (for now). Looks like D&D can handle most everything I have to throw at them. And, how small of a world is it...these guys are like a 1/2 hour drive from my house!

Thanks HAMBers! :)

2. Welcome from North Texas, and good luck with the project!

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

welcome to the Hamb. That engine is a great little power plant.

4. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

Thanks. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't have a body or chassis, just an offer for a interesting, free powertrain, and a lot of bad-for-my-marriage ideas! But come on...I'm a car guy...someone offers me a free all aluminum V8 with American and British heritage, and a 47+ year production history. Can I possibly say no? :confused:

5. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Free is free - just tuck it away in the back of the garage

6. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Welcome to the HAMB from South Texas. Good Luck with the 215 Buick.

Lucky667
    God Bless our Troops,...Especially the Snipers.

7. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

I think you're right Captain. I might even be able to make a buck or two parting out the old truck, and keeping what I want. :)

8. Welcome to the HAMB , from Hank in Pennsylvania.