Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That's some funny shit! :D

2. I come in from 'photobucket'.

Join here first----Be damn sure you write down your username and password!!!!!

http://register.photobucket.com/

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. Here you click on the blue box that says "Choose files"------It will only show this after you log-in.

Upload from 'my pictures' and let it complete the upload. Large (file size) pictures take longer.

After the picture is uploaded, click on the picture and go to the next page.

Look for "resize". V E R Y I M P O R T A N T---Choose either Large,medium or small. I always go for large.-------Anything bigger than large may be deleted from your post later.

http://s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/brian26_album/?firstLogin=true

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. After it is resized, -----right click- on the picture.

Choose "copy"

come here, post quick reply,
    right click---choose "paste'

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes, I use "photobucket" as well. I'm still learning how to use it, but I really like it. It's free to join but you can only host a hand full of pics... So, pay the $30 bucks (I think) for a year and it's unlimited.

6. I've never paid any money. Is there a limit to the pics you can upload?

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I tried the sign up free way, but after a while it got full....?

Oh, well,, Milk it as long as you can.:D

---------------------------

Hello Russ Blevins.. :p Join in anytime.

Joshua Shaw

8. You must have a lot of pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

This is my first car, the so-called Peters Offy. Only by now it was powered by a 327 Chevy. This pic was taken at Rolling Wheels Raceway in New York in 1966.

[​IMG]

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I suspect you gave up a couple of pounds to the competition at the time, but that's a good looking ride none the less.

11. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Your right Rootie, plus i gave up a lot in handling too.! And having three old carbs instead of injectors didnt help either.

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Harley Gene and Mr. Weir... Good seeing you guys today. Hope you enjoyed the tours.

JD

13. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

How many of you guys can say you sat on this guys lap when you were a kid?

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      118.8 KB
      Views:
  14. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Here is a picture of my uncle's brother, Marion Daubenspeck, taken somtime before the war. Don't know much other than this picture was taken in Milroy In. Sad to say, Marion lost is life in WWII.

We know it raced, but know not where, or how much. But glad he got to get the seat time he did.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      110.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Never sat on Roger's lap, but we bought a lot of tires from him when he owned his tire store in Temple City. His brother Ronnie built us a Watson type trailer in '63.

16. [​IMG]

First post of the year, Ruby-1961-Indy

17. I like that RF wheel. Looks like a steel Ford W5 rim :cool: .

In the 70s I ran at Rolling Wheels. Nice track.

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Colorado racing legend Chuck Mauro:

Mauro, longtime RMMRA car owner and Sprint Car owner passed on Tue, Dec 30. Chuck was the last of the Mauros (six brothers, one sister) of Denver, and larger, motorsports renown.

Roger was a multiple RMMRA car Owner Champion and President, and Johnny was a Indy 500 competitor and pro sports road racer. Chuck won the 1963 BCRA Sprint Car Championship with Ed Jackson, won 2 RMMRA features as Owner, plus USAC and other events with luminary drivers including Larry Rice, Larry Patton, Kevin Olson, Robby Flock, Dave Stickland Jr and Dave Strickland Sr, Jackson, and Jim Beckley.

Chuck and his other brother Johnny operated a truck driving school. Chuck restored his and other vintage race cars in recent years; he will be missed.

Funeral arrangement are pending

http://autoracingmemories.com/content/view/40/1/

Attached Files:

19. We went on a little drive to the Cincinnati area yesterday. While driving down one of the back roads we saw this guy hitchhiking. Since it was cold and getting near dark, we decided to give the poor soul a lift. I happened to be wearing my Winchester Speedway Old Timers hat, so the guy says," you guys want to see some old race cars?"
    We said, "sure tell us where they are".
    The poor soul said he would take us there for a bottle of wine, so we hit the liquor store and away we went.....
    Here is what he showed us... He kept mumbling something about being a race car driver.....couldn't keep him out of the race cars....picture included...kept on saying...vrooom, vrooom, kinda felt sorry for the old guy.
    Thanks Joshua for the hot tip and the hospitality....:D:D:D
    HG

Attached Files:

20. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Root....
    thanks for posting that. no other photos of that car??
    I'd like to post it on another board i'm on to see if anyone might have any records of it racing? was he the driver also? I guess you don't know that though...??

21. racer5c

racer5c

I can lol

22. racer5c

racer5c

We use to work out of Mauro's car dealership when we raced in Denver, they were great folks

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yeah, That guy stops in my shop all the time. He's a neat old guy!:D:D

--------------------------------------

Rootie, sorry to hear Chuck Mauro. He was the "real deal"

JD

24. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I was at BZneil's place the other evening. Shot the current status of the midget build. It's lookin' good.

Attached Files:

25. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

modifiedriver;
    It was a steel wheel for sure; very heavy!
    I had tractor implement tires on both front wheels. I couldnt find the racing ribs that the USAC guys were using then, so these looked kinda like them, so......

26. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Sure, go for it. We'd sure like to know more, but our hopes are not high.

And yes, we believe him to be the driver. No other photos that we know of.

Marion's father, Paul, owned a Ford dealership in the 30's. Milroy Motor Sales. They had a DX sign and gas pump out front, hence the signage on the car. Don't ever remember a conversation in our family concerning anything about this deal, so we don't have any particulars at all. Believe this picture was taken on South Pleasant St. in Milroy.

A friend of our father's, now passed on, did tell me that as a kid, he would go down the street and watch them work on the car. He told me that when they would throw a rod in the engine, they would patch the crankcase with flattened out tin cans.

If anyone can make some educated guesses on the frame, suspension, and such, we'd like to hear 'em.

Thanks

27. Hi I've been lurking here for some time and reliving alot of old memories.
    My family was involved in Midget racing in the Bay Area ( BCRA ) from about 1955 to 1978. I've been driving and building cars since 1970 from karts to Sprint cars and everything in between. Well enough of the bench racing. I will try to add some Photos and stories to this awesome thread .
    Enjoy, Mike Stryker Stryker Offy's Willow Springs Ca 2002.jpg

Harry Sr 5 Car debut  1982.jpg

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  28. j-bird

j-bird

Man this thread is huge...and full of great stuff. This is my dads 50 chevy pickup and trailer that he hauls a vintage sprinter on. The race car was from right near Sharon Speedway in Hartford OH. Chevy rails, Ford suspension and brakes, GMC 6 with 3 carbs and a 4 speed, hand fuel pump, etc. It looks pretty cool rollin down the road.

Attached Files:

29. Rotta14

Rotta14

Any idea where the Harry Stryker # 10 is these days ?

30. Rotta14
    We lost track of the original car in about 1973 it was owned by Bob Tohmas. He crashed it hard and his wife would not give us any information. We suspect it went to Ausrtraila or was destroyed. The car you see in the photo I posted is a copy that my dad built in about 1990 or so . The tell tail sign is the internal roll bar that is very easey to Id. There are a few other details that I know of . If you have any info that the car went your way we would love to find it.
    Here is a photo of it in 1966 With Billy JR. I belive this is at Valelo Ca Stryker Offy Billy Vukovich Jr 1st Usac Feature Win Valejo, Ca 1966.jpg .