Register now to get rid of these ads!

Emergency brake cable question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gavin, Dec 31, 2008.

1. gavin

gavin
    from Sonoma

I have a 76' Maverick rear end in my 53' Ford. I'm putting the rear drum brakes in now. My question is will one those Lokar(or anybrand) emergency brake cable kits be what I need to get a ebrake system in there? I know it seems like a something called a "Universal ebrake kit" would be all I would need, but just want to confirm. Thanks!

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Good question, I will be keen to know what the experts have to say.

3. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Do you have the cables from the 53. if so that will fit that rear.

4. ken1939

ken1939

As soon as the experts find this site they will shut it down :)

The lokar kits will fit anything. I have used them on 73 nova rears as well as 9 inch Fords and currently a 55 Chevy rear.

One tech tip, depending on which style of emergency brake handle you use, cut the housing for the cable first, then mount them. Snake the cable through the housing, after attaching to the hardware in the rear end. Feed both wires through the block that holds them, kind of a square with four set screws, this will then bolt up to the handle. Cut the cable after running it though the blocks. I used bolt cutters and cut off wheels to achieve this. Give yourself some adjustment room, so they are tight enough to activate. Sometimes these kits are a bust in the fanny to get tight.

5. Mavericks used a foot pedal for emergency brake so the system consists of the rear cables to the shoes then the two are coupled to a middle cable through a lever. A cable then runs to the pedal from that lever. If you get the stock rear cables then you could just fab the middle cable to the length you require based on your application. Not sure of Lokar makes a universal kit just for that or not.

6. gavin

gavin
    from Sonoma

I have the cable from the handbrake lever back to about the transmission. The rest didn't come with the car.

7. Roupe

Roupe

I used a Lokar type kit and it worked real well. Cut to length and it should work. Good quality.

8. The Lokar will do the job. You might look at the one for a 55-7 chevy also. Raybestous still makes the. $0.02

9. If you just need the single cable from yoke to operating handle, check with a diesel truck supply shop.

They have lots of heavy duty cables.

Be sure to get a stranded one cuz they have single wire cables as well.
    The singles work ok on trunk latches etc., but they'd probably break due to flex and too many operations when used as an E-brake cable.