Register now to get rid of these ads!

If money wasn't an issue, wot kind of rod would you build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I would have a bunch of cars if I had money, but my rod would be a '33 3-window. Chopped and channeled. Powered by a pimped out 425 Nailhead.

2. spudsmania9

spudsmania9
    from Arkansas

1939 ford with a stroker FE engine 446ci. Aftermarket 5 speed, 9 inch rear 4 wheel disk brakes, 8" steel wheels and blackwall tires.

Body would remain stock. Nice paint.

Also would have two armored personnel carriers to protect me in traffic. Or maybe a couple of those fighting vehicles. Stupid driving dealt with immediately.:eek:

3. BigRed390

BigRed390

I'd build something along the lines of the Tobacco King Galaxie with that fancy rear axle attachment. To this day, i haven't seen anything anymore awe-inspiring than that car. Might paint mine a dark red color just to be different though.....

4. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

1954 Lincoln Capri 2-door hardtop with a 514ci and an overdrive trans. I always have loved the 54 Lincolns. Also a 32 Ford Coupe with a 392 Hemi, 6 carbs, and a 5-speed. It would be a hell of a ride.

5. I'd finish my '57 3100 a lot quicker with no real changes to the plan, add some creature comforts to the old cj, and build a '30-'31 5 window A, very heavily influenced by the Mystery coupe as seen in TRJ with a different power plant, maybe Caddilac, Nailhead, or S.Co.T blown flathead. There's just something about that car. I'd have to build the wife her Elanor clone, a Scout, and probably a late 30's something. Then of course I'd have to build something with/for each of my kids. My biggest thing would be to outfit the shop with everything needed (incl a booth), and take some courses (sheet metal fab, chassis building, etc.) so I could build everything myself. I guess I'd better start playing the lottery.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Probably swap my '31 Chevy body for a '32 Ford 5W and switch the HEMI for a warmed up flathead. That would be about it though besides maybe an original Halibrand quickie out back. I am sure that I could probably think of a couple other ideas but I think what I have going is pretty close to my dream car.

7. I'd comission Littleman and Scootermcrad to collaborate on a project with the only instructions to be, "surprise me."

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would build a clone of Sonny La Rocs pearl of shangri la 55 chev

9. Fantasy Land. first off I'd have a fleet of rods. like a kid in a candy store. or a dog in a meat Market. but the first build would be a 7 day T.V. build of one those Chris Ito designed full fendered 33 Fords that S.A.R. has here in Portland. built very Traditional in that dark T-bird Maroon (Merlot) with a Ito designed interior. it would have a new 426 hemi with a six speed with a swan neck shifter and a very large gas tank for cruising all of Europe on my way to Australia. oh yeah it would have one of those hide away powertops.

10. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

We think alike....

[​IMG]

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

11. toxictom

toxictom

hm....maybe an `32 pickup...
    body in aluminum by marcel deley
    all aluminum twinturbo nelson engine(BBC or HEMI)
    chromemoly tubechassis
    and build by troy trepanier
    thats it....

12. '33 Ford 3 window, seriously chopped, fenderless, channeled just enough to cover the bobbed and pinched frame rails, widened 40 steelies out back with narrowed same up front, '49 Ford caps, the whole thing glossy black with a cool Tijuana tuck and roll gut, filled roof, Hali quick change, about 4 inches of dropped I-beam in front with split bones, and a blown and injected aluminum 392 with zoomies.....Maybe throw on some flames when I get bored with the plain black paint over its flawless, no filler skin. Spending somebody elses money is awesome.

edit:Gawd, a lot of us think alike....Love that black 3 window above.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I would have to make him an offer he couldn't refuse..........................

[​IMG]

14. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Maybe a 35 or 36 3 window chopped and channeled.

15. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

1912 stutz Bearcat......with a blown big block cadillac. The Bearillac.

16. I'm a simple man: 409-powered Henry J gasser.

17. de-fenders

de-fenders

If money wasn't an option? Two cars for me, a '32 roadster with flattie, and a '32 5w with tri-powered nailhead. (doesn't hurt to think big!)

18. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

nova gasser with a wicked built 427 tunnel ram 4 speed , heck thats just one ! also id recreate a pete robinson top fuel car cammer power baby!

19. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

For some it's obvious that money IS preventing them from building/buying their dream car - but for others it's obvious that money is certainly NOT preventing them - to them I say - just get started - it may take longer than you want but at least you're on your way to a dream. There was a time when building Hot Rods wasn't about the money - no reason to drift away from that now.

20. Full-on custom chopped '50 Merc, with fully independent suspension front & rear, 427 side-oiler, 5 speed, full cage, good seats and belts, serious rubber on all four corners. (for a start):D

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

SO what you are telling us is, YOU'RE BUILDING A CLONE OF SONNY LA ROCS pearl of shanri la 55 Chevy after the Dream rod.:D:D:D:D

22. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I think a really highend european 20s 0r 30s art deco coupe like a Bugatti,Delahey or some other concourse type of car but power it with all Lamborghini running gear would be fun.You know like a sleeper and take it to Pebble and blow peoples minds when you start it up and here that lambo go whooshaaa.......

23. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

Easy! 1934 Ford, real steel, blown early hemi, black w/flames. Kinda like this, except I'd likely change the wheels out for Halibrands (maybe). This model's not done ... one of these days ...

[​IMG]

24. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I'd build a chopped '49 Merc, lowered, 56 olds spinners, skirts, louvered hood, Candy red, white interior, stock side trim, Desoto grill, powered by a supercharged 5.4 DOHC and AOD from a Ford lightning...... That's not asking much....

25. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

This does it for me........I have the Model.......but to have the Real Deal......that would be awesome. :cool:;)

[​IMG]

26. chris55

chris55

I'd build a clone of Hotrod-man-2000's 26 t, and of course the Shakey Puddin 55.

27. What if, instead of driving a $400/month truck you drove a $200/month (or better yet "paid for") truck. Then you saved that $200-$400 per month......... for 5 years...... or more. What could you have? Hell, what COULDN'T you have?

I have fairly good taste IMHO but nothing too extravagant. I also don't have much $$$ at all but I've realized that money isn't an object if you're disciplined, patient, & willing to bust your ass to have what you want.

I don't have time to waste on anything less than EXACTLY what I want.

So far, it's working for me.

JH

28. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Man where do you come up with such CRAZY THOUGHTS!!!! You keep that attitude up and you just might be able to have anything:eek:

Seriously - you hit the nail on the head!!!! I ain't never bought a new vehicle - and it always seems to amaze people when I try to explain to them that THEIR car budget is actually HIGHER than my own. They usually immediately dismiss the thought, but anytime they'd actually sit down and really think it over they'd see it's true.

I always figured that the longer I can put off buying a new car the more dough I can save for the Hot Rods. BTW I'm 42 now - I never had a lot of dough - it never seemed to be able to prevent me from building Hot Rods.

Building Hot Rods ain't about the money - it's about so much more. Late nights, busted knuckles, friends that really help when you need it the most - quite an education to be had there if we're paying atention.

29. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An all steel 33 willys. Of course a blown and injected 392 hemi like in our coupe. Built by rocky pironne.:D:D
    Gasser Girl

30. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I actually have that exact picture, and I was going to post it, but it's on the other computer. :D

I love that car.