Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration traditional music

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the "eliterate"redneck, Dec 7, 2008.

1. autobilly

autobilly

It's Friday night and you're headin' out in your favorite car, you need to hear Put Your Cat Clothes On! (I do anyway)

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

Why not - I once found a bootleg of Screaming Jay in the only record store of Clarksdale/Miss.ippi, while Lonnie Johnson was painting the walls at the time.
    I put it on a tape with Houndog Taylor on the other side.
    Last time I listenend to it, I was driving along Pacific Highway.
    Would you believe it, I first saw him live on stage in Sydney in a tavern right by the water.
    He had fireworks going on stage and drove the girls crazy with a slurry speech about 'furburgers' followed by an improv blues jam with his SG playing guitarman who claimed he was related to Bo Diddley...
    Still one of the best live shows I ever seen.

Chuck is dangerous to listen to in my car.
    I jump up and down in my seat and sometimes crack up so hard over the lyrics, it's hard to keep the steering wheel straight.
    No Chuck in thick traffic for me, but nothing better when I drive along with no one else around and no particular place to go.

Right On!
    Zig Zag Wanderer was the only song of the Captain, I ever tried to figure out and recorded with two girls on bass and drums on a 1/4 reel in a tiny private attic rehearsal space in Seatlle.

OT blabber is all but a trumpet poop full of peanuts tooting on a lazy sunday afternoon...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  3. the "eliterate"redneck

the "eliterate"redneck
    BANNED

when i posted this thread i was kinda looking for doo woop songs to finnish a cd...those songs just put me more in the mood....its nice to look up the others , and learn about other music....but blues and doo woop are my thing....and isnt it crazy that my name is "lonnie johnson"...how cool is that........

4. axle

axle
    from Drag City

This is me in front of Sun studios

Attached Files:

5. axle

axle
    from Drag City

This picture was taken right outside of Sun studios. The concrete squares are old,chipped,and one had this stamped right in to it from 1938. I stood there and stared at this for probably an honest 10 minutes thinking "how many rockin cats walked right where i stood" ?!? Too much information at one time !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

This is the new Delta Blues museum in Clarksdale Mississippi. It is a converted old train depot from the late 1800's !

Attached Files:

7. axle

axle
    from Drag City

And finally, a place my wife and i stumbled across. Its a place that every diehard music fanatic like me should visit once.
    Its called "Ground Zero" and its close to the Delta Blues museum. We walked in to this joint and the place was really rockin. People eating BBQ, drinkin, dancing,raisin their arms up in the air,a blues band performing on stage. It was right out of some movie !

I went to the bathroom while my wife picked up a couple of beers for us. On the way out this friendly guy asked if i was new to the area and i told him that i was just passing through. He introduced himself as half the owner ,then, as the door opened he introduced me to his business partner and best friend MORGAN FREEMAN. I was startled to say the least. They asked if i played an instrument as that night was jam session night, i told them i played drums then they made me get up and do a few numbers with the guys. I had a blast playing with real southern blues musicians. when i got off the stage and sat next to my wife who is sitting in the chair next to her was none other than ERIC CLAPTON ! In the middle of Clarksdale MS. ! My wife introduced us then told him that i was in to cars & music,then told her what kind of cars.....he just looked over in this noisy juke joint and gave me the "thumbs up" . I'll never forget that night as long as i live !

Attached Files:

8. How about some Danny Gatton or Ray Kennedy guitar pickin'?
    "I likes Eric Clapner", J. Elders, former Surgeon General.

9. Road Runner

Road Runner

Great story! What a night!
    I heard a few times that Mr. Freeman owns a Blues club in MS.
    He and Mr. Clapton are really down-to-earth and very cool people.
    Just amazing to meet them both under these circumstances.

MS rocks! - Juke joints all over the state, jumping on weekends with real Delta Blues, as if time stood still.
    There is a great movie documentary and soundtrack 'Deep Blues' from 1991, you gotta check out. It shows some joints and includes really great live music. RL Burnside is in it too.

I thought of moving and starting my guitar making biz there at that time, but ended up doing that in Austin instead, cos I knew some people there and all the great live music didn't hurt either....

A week after arrival, I found my Chevy truck in that weekends newspaper classifieds, which was my first ride and has been my daily driver ever since...!

Early guitar music and early cars have always been synonymous to me.
    Can't imagine life without either.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  10. Road Runner

Road Runner

Great name!
    Find some of Mississippi's Lonnie Johnson's music.
    He got around the country promoting his debut CD back in the early 90s.
    He is influenced by Robert Johnson. I wonder how he is doing now.

11. autobilly

autobilly

Man, looks like '56 and you're just goin' in to cut a platter.

12. autobilly

autobilly

That's hallowed ground!

13. autobilly

autobilly

Wow!

14. L110Mike

L110Mike
    from North OC

a song i've been listening to a lot lately: question mark and the mysterions 96 tears
    try this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTnaPa9BaA

Rhino has some great compilations. there's a rock-n-roll one from the 50's that I got back in high school, so '97 or '98 maybe. out of print, but fantastic:
    http://www.amazon.com/Loud-Fast-Control-Various-Artists/dp/B00000IQ17

there's some DooWop comps as well: http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=71463

hope this helps.

15. the "eliterate"redneck

the "eliterate"redneck
    BANNED

yea ,,,,thanks, but ive already have all the "timelife" collection stuff.......you know the commericals where they play all the (good,mainstream) songs...the only 9 good ones out of a 20 cd set...for only 15 payments of 29.95 plus s&h...lol.

i want ""that"" song. you know, the one that takes you back to the 50s
    the one that only sounds good on 1 6x9 in the dash.lol

16. the "eliterate"redneck

the "eliterate"redneck
    BANNED

that brings me to another Question...why did some older speakers have just a bent metal strip instead of a round black magnet....someone on here has got to know?

17. !!!!! Green onions !!!!!!

18. FCCOOL, Thanks for the videos. I found out that they can ALL be played at once!

19. Road Runner

Road Runner

The bent metal holds an Alnico rod magnet, which sits directly inside the voice coil of the speaker.
    Alnico magnets have more gauss per weight and give a more detailed and dynamic response than the later disc shaped ceramic magnets, which are attached on the end of a ferric rod that sits inside the voice coil.

In the 60s, manufacturers switched to ceramic magnet alloys, as they were cheaper and more readily available.

20. axle

axle
    from Drag City

ha ha ha ha ha ha.