Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning a gas tank. Need your input.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tumbler, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

Alright. I dropped the tank and took the pressure washer to it. I then took a tiny little fan and let it dry over night. Hooked the tank back up, filled her up and guess what? Still murky and clogging the pickup sock/filter. What can I do? Any good home/do-it-yourself type ideas?

2. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

fill it with soapy water get an electric fuel pump and run though a homemade remote filter. Hook the hoses up to run "backwards" so the sock won't clog.Run the feed through the filler so you can move it around.Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  3. dannyego

dannyego

What is it for? I found its usually easier to just replace them.

4. striper

striper

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

fill her half up with small gravel and shake that baby around for a while.then use por-15 tank cleaner and sealant.

6. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

On my 59 I took a couple of links of chain and dropped in the neck. Poured a gallon of laquer thinner and rolled around the yard. Poured that out and did it again. I've been driving 2 years on the filter . I took a couple of days to do this. seems to have worked fine.

7. George

George

Acetone is supposed to get the job done.

8. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

I took a steel fuel tank to a radiator shop. They boiled it in their poison for 3 days. Then they knocked a small hole in a corner to drain & rinse it out, heated it with a torch and got it completely dry then soldered the hole shut. You had to look for the solder job, they were very good. I'd do it again.

Lucky667

9. river1

river1

i'll second the rad shop solution. it'll save a lot of aggravation.later jim

10. leadsled01

leadsled01

lacquer thinner ..steel bolts..4 guys to shake it.. repeat 10 times. Or just use the POR 15 gas tank restore kit and be done with it..

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If you really don't want to spend any money on it and have a need to do some exercise; Remove the sending unit, put a bunch of rocks in it and tape the openings shut. Rig it up between two old tires and roll them around. Keep looking inside it after each hour of rolling and when it gets bright and shiny (it definately will) then use the slosh treatment and go.

If you belong to a fitness club, cancel your membership. Develop a universal tire dealy, put an ad in the paper. Gas tank cleaning-guaranteed. Your handle fits the bill!

12. not gravel!!! use a piece of chain so ya get it all back out:eek:

then buy a new tank from "Tanks":D

13. Andamo

Andamo

I'd avoid using Acetone. If there are rubber o-rings and parts in there and depending on what the sock is made of, you can melt a lot of stuff.

14. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I've done it all... Chains, Bolts, Flush the hell out of her & POR15 and I always end up replacing the tank... Unless you have a odd make and model chances are that you can buy a new tank for $200 or so...

15. I saw a cool pic one time of a tank strapped to the tear wheel of a tractor with some abrasive added, (may have been on here.) The tractor was on stands and the wheel went round and round. I thought it was a pretty neat idea. Same basic principle I've used a hundred times on bike tanks. I used to use shattered timpered glass and acitone. Came out like new. But bike tanks are a lot smaller and easier to empty. Where I live, no radiator shop in town, that I know of, will mess wth a gas tank anymore. If any of you East Tenn. guy's know of a shop that'll do one throw me a PM please.