Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat black primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronbo48, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ronbo48

ronbo48

Does anyone have a suggestion for a flat black primer. We tried Valspar DTM balck primer, but when scratched, it turns gray.

I keep hearing about a Hot rod black primer that comes in a kit?

I would appreciated any help, as this will be my first primer finish. It is going on a 37 1/2 ton ford truck.

thanks, Ron

2. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

dp90

the other one you are talking about might be hot rod flatz,,its actually a flattened black paint not a primer,,(if you plan to use it as a finish coat,,you want paint anyway...primer is not waterproof)

3. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

dtm is a epoxy ..flatz is $$$ ..just use enamel with flattner in it ..

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

flat black is a bit played out these days. I'd just shoot it with a single stage. You'll be happier in the long run.

5. studewoody

studewoody

sem rustshield..i've ran it for years

6. no55mad

no55mad

Eastwood has a flat black product for the body.

7. I used dupont hot hues hot rod black on my roadster and it worked great. Its a bit pricey though. It doesent scratch or go gray over time either.

8. its not a primer but if all your wanting is a flat black . john deer paint is the best and cheapest . the only problem is once you shoot it nothing goes over it its an enamel that you cant paint over it is the color and sealer. they say no primer needed. but i would prime it first. at $11.00 a quart ready to spray its hard to beat they even have it in erasol..............just make sure black is all youll ever want or youll have to sand it off if you want to change to something else.