Register now to get rid of these ads!

FNG...Opinion Needed...Flathead mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Dec 27, 2008.

1. BBobb

BBobb

I have decided to spend the coin and buy a set of headers for my 239 flathead.What would be the best sounding mufflers to use and what type of sound should i expect fom them .I am cluless this is my first flatty.....Upfront Thanks

2. dirt

dirt

i have smithys on mine and they sound good.

3. timmy t

timmy t

Running smithys on mine sounds good but I hope as they get older they will get alittle louder.

4. Cshabang

Cshabang

1 and 7/8 pipes..no mufflers...all the way to the back...

5. timmy t

timmy t

You said it!!!

6. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Another vote for Smithy's, the 26"-long (?) ones, about 2 ft back from the collector, and a decent length of tailpipe. That combo gives a very mellow tone that won't wear you out, but sounds oh-so-sweet!

7. cafekid

cafekid

if you want the classic flathead sound, run smithy's theyre a steel pack origionally designed for the flathead and early v8s. they will burn out just like a normal glasspack and eventually get louder. if you want something a little louder and more contemporary i would put a set of flowmaster hushpowers behind it. only drawback to these are the price (quite a bit more than smity's

8. cafekid

cafekid

also if you are looking to make the motor "rap" mount the mufflers as close to the collectors as humanly possible.....

9. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Straightpipes -----

10. lonewolf

lonewolf

alot of the barners run brockmans they come in stailess if you want

11. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Thats the winner! It won't be as loud as your thinking and will sound great. As an added bonus, you don't have to buy any mufflers.

12. Flatman

Flatman

I'm running Cherry Bombs, but I got them for $10 for the pair:D. Nobody sells Smithy's up here....:(

Flatman

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I read somewhere, maybe here on H.A.M.B., recently that Smithy's has been gobbled up in a merger with somebody else, and that they've changed the mufflers.
    Do a search for Porter Mufflers here on H.A.M.B. and you'll find a link to their web site. Or Google it. They have audio on their site of their mufflers in use.
    I'm 71 and remember Porter mufflers way back "in the day", good sound and stll made the same way, they claim.
    Dave

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  14. Porter Man is a HAMBer, check them out. Still USA made, nice sound too.

<!-- / message -->

15. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

go with brockmans

16. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

I got a set of Walker glasspacks on my flathead and they sound great. They are 2" and about a foot long. The Walker part number is 24440.

17. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I don't know if that sound sample on the Porter web site is going to sell many mufflers. I played it several times and there is a lot of static and wind noise covering the muffler tone. I'd record that again on a still day and try to get a cleaner sound.

18. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Question? How do mufflers help or hinder performance. I've heard some back pressure is good?

I'm running straight pipes with 4" harley baffles, but thinking of upgrading.

19. rockin-bones

rockin-bones

I had Brockman Mello Tones, Red's Headers, and echo cans out the back on my '54 Meteor....sounded great.