Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Happened to the GOOD in Good Guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

:confused: I am looking at a letter that was included in my last issue of the G.G.
    Gazette, stating how sad they are to announce an increase for membership fees for CANADIAN, MEXICAN members from $45. per year to a whopping $85. per year, OVERSEAS member go to $120. per year.
    The U.S.A. membership stays at $35. The reason given is postal fees and printing fees of the Gazette which is loaded with COMMERCIAL ADS. I guess the U.S.A. members are not subjected to these costs, either that or they are trying give Canadian members a message.
    During this economic turndown the Canadian dollar is now worth 20% less making the membership fees $102. I am wondering what PLANET the executive of G.G. is on.
    I have sent a letter with my concerns to G.G. and the fact that I have been a member for over 10 years and attend at least 5-6 of their shows every year, but they did not reply. I think I will now be attending shows where a membership is not required.

Ah, now I feel better after airing this B.S. :rolleyes:

2. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

I never thought they were good.

3. poorboy

poorboy

do a search, this was already discussed

4. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Move? just a thought.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Do a search...then send a letter to GoodGuy's...it won't do a bit of good here...!!!

R-

6. mow too much

mow too much

Money,its the root of all evil.

7. "Move" to a buddies house in the US. Have him mail you the rag if you even still want it.

8. That's the joy of living in Canada ain't it-paying double for everything, that and the shitty weather and boring people.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Send a note to the editor. he always welcomes those...

10. coldwar

coldwar
    BANNED
    from USA

Never belonged, never attended one of theirs, never will ~ CW

[​IMG]

11. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

i started the last post on this rip off and got a lot of feedback from other canadians and consenses is were not renewing . the canadians price is subsidising the over seas and u.s. subscriptions. i know the costs for shipping mags around the country and the increase is not justified

12. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

If you have to announce that you are GOOD then you probably aren't.

13. sinticket

sinticket

I really dont care for that organization. They are the ones who try to make it where only the elite can enjoy hot rodding.... No use for them at all!

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was Kirk! Blame him........
    (I hear its all going toward the 'May cause Dangerous'.....)

15. Ebert

Ebert

With all due respect, I wholeheartedly disagree. Been going going to their deals for over ten plus years and it has been my experience that they are wanting to open up the range of cars to get more variety in. Drop in the vintage drags at some of their events, autocrosses, etc and there is a ton to do for the whole gang.

The best part...like all events...is the people that I have met and look forward to seeing again.....like all car events I go to.

Just curious how many of these events you have attended lately....at the events I have attended, there is always a variety of cars and ages of attendees and I do not just see the "elite"...as I hang with my buddies usually out in a remote area and drink a beer or more.

No matter what, you are certainly entitled to you opinion, my brother.

Ebert

16. RichG

RichG

Billetproof was $20 at the gate and a real blast! Fun people having a good time! Goodguys? A bunch of stuffed shirts feeling good about being just like each other...

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I've had a good time at every Good Guys show I have ever been too. And I'm no gold chainer....You want to talk about stuffed shirts try a NSRA show sometime. I've been to a few of them too. Not fun for me. But you guys know, we don't all like the same thing. And we never will.

18. 97

19. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

20. ken1939

ken1939

Well on one hand the Goodguys were the anti-NSRA. Gary Meadors left NSRA to start this new club or organization. Ive been to both, and no longer belong to both. One main reason was the passing of my friend a few years ago, and going to York the year after he died, things just didnt seem the same. The physical look of York had changed to, they did a lot of new building etc.

I never really liked Street-Scene, same old bitching that if they can give a car away every year and give trucks away--the magazine should be inexpensive. The only issue I liked is when my car happened to make a cameo.

I never really liked the Goodguys Gazette either, to large and mostly nothing.

They both got into the "Big Builder" jock sniffing. With Goodguys it was Troy Treppanier and Foose, with the NSRA it was Posey (a real prick).

I learned early on the only fun you had was what you made, wether it was with the crew you traveled to the event with--or meeting new folks.

I never expected to have either organization provide me with a good time.

One of the clubs on Hamb here is "clubs are for seals" I like the title, and like Groucho Marx, I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member.

Right now I dont miss the Nats, I dont miss Columbus. Its odd cause I do like driving to those events.

Cars will always be about who has the bucks, always had and always will. Its for us to keep our feet on the ground and remember what the sport, if you will, is all about.

I think hozing Canadian and Mexican rodders is stupid. I think the price increase should have been a little more even handed. Our business raised its prices after 2 years of keeping them steady, but we did it with the business and customers in mind.

This subject, like opinions (thought I was going to go to the a word eh>)
    will always have critics.

Just one mans opinion.

21. I've never been to any car show I didn't enjoy. I guess I'm just weird that way.

22. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

Just a note on the postage increase in May 2008. there is no more international media or surface mail, the least expensive way to ship a magazine is first class mail international. not that i am sticking up for GOOD GUYS, i am just trying to state the facts so you can pass judgement with at least a little knowledge of whats going on with shipping cost for businesses, good business and bad business all pay the same rate to the post office. cadillac dave

23. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Want some cheese to go with your whine?

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

I pay about $140 per year for my Sub for a Magazine out of England.

Its a lot of money, and issues get lost in the mail, or are underway so long they arrive out of order ( and months late ) , etc...

But I enjoy it enough that I think its worth it.

So, as long as you think its worth it, keep your Sub to the Gazette.
    And as soon as you feel the value for money isn't there, drop it.

It really is that simple...

25. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

what happened to hot rods actually being in the NHRA !? :(

26. ya know we are beatin a dead horse here.#1 they(GG) will do what they gotta do to make a buck...#2 if you dont like it do sign up...#3why not ask GG to set-up a on line gazzette for those outa the USA,with a password included with their NORMAL dues to access it...my question has ALWAYS been why/or when is GG going to set-up a saftey team like NSRA??????

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I agree...it really is that simple.

28. KIRK!

KIRK!

Oh jesus, is it that time of the month again?

So many uninformed haters.

As I have stated before the increase was to put Goodguys at a break even point on out-of-country subscriptions. The company was losing about $40 per Canadian member and about $60 per overseas member. I discovered the huge losses (that had been going on for YEARS) when reviewing the budget and had to make a business decision to stop bleeding money. It sucks and it was a hard decision to have to make, but there was no choice.

As for the other hater BS, I am on the inside and privvy to pretty much every decision in the company and there is no secret agenda and no plan to screw anyone. In fact 90% of all of our meetings are to discuss how to improve for the customer. Have you haters even seen a Gazette in the past few years? Try to find a better bang for your buck magazine wise. I couldn't be prouder of it, and stand behind it 100%.

The haters won't even hear those word. If they do they'll ignore them or claim I've been brainwashed. If you know me at all, you know that I don't stand for bullshit and wouldn't work there if it was anything but a family atmosphere that tries to give good hot rod bang for the buck.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  29. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I heard you guys use all that surplus cash to buy fancy clubs to beat baby Seals- any truth to that?

30. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

maybe Kirk! and Gary don't like furinners...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.