Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harvey's Broiler Razed Illegally!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Weather permitting, I'l be there.

Pop use to cruise Harvey's and the Clock when he was a kid. My turn now.

2. Burny

Burny

Kev, I am definitely in! We have shirts left and I will bring them all. There are actually more of the Ghost Cruise shirts left than the "Save" shirts...

3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Doug,
    If we need to do it earlier like for guys coming back from (lets say?)
    LBHP Swap. I'll get there earlier if ya like? Let me know guys????
    I know what you mean about the shadows for pics. I'm flexible.

4. Burny

Burny

I'm doWn for earlier. Meeting at the swap would be a good starting point for the cruise up. Might get a few Non-HAMBers interested as well.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Kevin,

You may wanna "feel out" the City of Downey on anything like a raffel or music etc. for this. I don't know if you know about what went down at Frisco's in November, but the owner and the car club got their asses handed to them by the City of Downey. Fees to the city, permits, the usual payola bullshit! Typical commie/yuppie strongarm cocksucker bullshit!
    Have a nice day!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

6. Weasel

Weasel

Kevin - earlier works for me - how about say 12.00-1.00 pm? Anyone else?

7. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Can you post an address or map for us out of towners?

8. That be the shoe on the other foot !!!:rolleyes:

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

“I'm down for earlier. Meeting at the swap would be a good starting point for the cruise up. Might get a few Non-HAMBers interested as well”.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Burny,<o:p></o:p>
    Sounds good, Do you think that you&#8217;d be down to bring em over to the Brolier site? I think that it would look way cool to see a bunch of R&C&#8217;s cruising down Lakewood to Firestone Bl. Call me and let me know if we have any Ghost Cruise shirts that people may be interested in?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Pimpin paint<o:p></o:p>
    Don&#8217;t sweat the city, they are part of the reason why this place will be repaired. They&#8217;ve attended the cruises. I think it will it be ok.
    Guido,<o:p></o:p>
    I think that I can get there earlier, So around that time suggested will be fine.
    Daddyfink,
    You can go to Google Maps, Type in 7447 Firestone BL. Downey,CA. and paste it if you'd like,I'm on a back up laptop with limited capabilities and have had to log on several times w/in the hour just to answer these?s. I'm sure that everyone could use the info.

Coincidently, I just got back from Jim's openning of the West Covina Bob's. After a month of delays from that city's Fire Marshall re:all things safety related (this place was an operating Chevy's up until last July, not much was relocated or screwed with and it all went thru-cleared plan ck) It opened at 1pm this afternoon to a packed house.
    We have to make Downey 3 times better! Wait till he sees what kind of business cars guys give. He said that he'd be at the Demo Cruise. He's very cool with all this.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

11. Where's the X that says "You are here!". lol......

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

13. Cshabang

Cshabang

Congrats guys...Its so cool this is coming back the way it has. I give credit to Kevin and all the others who have contributed...Hope someday I can cruise in there and grab a burger...

14. John Denich

John Denich

I went by there yesterday it looks like all they saved was the sign, two pieces of the front wall and the canopy structure, I guess not much of the building could be saved? Hey Kevin whats with the Norms Burgers...not the chain diner that is all boarded up east on Firestone, it looks like a googie style building also, was this a cruising spot to?

John

15. No. It was built in the 90's. It used to be part of the Chevy dealership that was on the SE corner. Johnnys Broiler was the only spot near there,except for the Friscos on Woodruff that was built in the 80's. In the 70's,all the Street Racers used to meet in the parking lot next to Farrels Icecream on Sunday nights. Even earlier than that,the Street Racers would meet at Taco Quicky in Bell Gardens.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. C' Dueced

C' Dueced

:)
    He's working on it! They have a walk around sometime after the new year to get everybody familiar with eachother. There is always something to do behind the scenes on a project like this, I should know, He;s always gone:(. I never got a chance to eat here when it was Johnie's or Harvey's,

We always stopped and made sure that nothing major was going on with it as we drove over to the foundry. Kevin always wanted to own it.
    When it was demo'd He was on here before it hit the 11pm edition of the news.
    Thank all of you that have helped him, (I personally know,my 05 Altima 3.5L. wears scars of a rear end collision by another HAMBer who did it by accident while mapping out the Ghost Cruise course)

You guys/gals are truly the best:). Perhaps May 09 I'll be able to meet you all and grab a burger or salad for me in our HAMB friendly cars?

17. HEY! License to Drive is on right now! Many of the scenes were filmed there. I watched it being filmed. I got to be in the background,but everytime I watch it,I can't see myself....

18. I'll be wearing my HAMB shirt! Can't wait!!!! I asked before if anybody was planning on putting on a weekly or monthly Cruise Night. Heard anything?

19. C' Dueced

C' Dueced

Hi John,
    The building that you speak of is actually part of another Googie style chain. It's not the Norm's on Firestone & Paramount that BB describes,
    This one further down Firestone in Norwalk has the folded plate roof.
    It actually is a former Van De Kamps restaurant that was most likely built in the late 60's. It resembled a Windmill (for reference Google Denny's Arcadia).
    We both noticed it is for sale, but don't know the $ amount. It has an extremely large parking lot and I know Kevin used to attend a cruise night there like 10 yrs ago.
    Kevin would say that it would make for a great Bob's location.;)
    The Broiler has to get done 1st before he tries to save another although it would be very nice to save the Wind-O-Mill location:)!

20. I didn't know that the Van De Camps changed to a Norms. It was still a Van De Camps when I lived there. Interesting...

21. eddytheb

eddytheb

WOW What a read, awesome job, my hats off to you and all the people that made this happen from all the way over in Batavia New York. Even though I may never get to see it, it still means a lot to me and that a part of what we as car people love will be saved. Sorry to say we have noting around here anymore they all came down as I grew up and never got to enjoy any of the hot spots or hang outs.
    God speed to you and your project. ​

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Bad Bob,
    A cruise night on the 80's originals cruise nite is the plan, I am going to need help doing it and would gladly accept any volunteers to ensure that Harvey's Cruising spirit will be well represented, Is anyone game????? If a weekend cruise night during the warmer months would be wanted, we could work that in as well. We could do movies in the parking lot like AG, HK's etc. It would be nice to be able to include the little cruisers as well.

23. John Denich

John Denich

I can volunteer for the cruise nights!

John

24. long drive but I gotta make it at least ONE nite..............nothing but the utmost in respect for those involed in this (Kevin)

25. Weasel

Weasel

Which night of the week is the 80's original cruise planned when it opens? There's a bunch of us from OC ready to cruise on over.

26. In the 80's it was Wednesday night. I lived right across Firestone from Johnnys. Walked over and watched many movies,music videos being filmed there.

27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

BB MB,TB and Weasel,
    Wed was the night that I remember. John and Kent, Thank you for volunteering, We have 5 mos to get ready. Lets make it a real cruise nite, not a trophy/raffle cruise. I want people to hang just like they did when they/we were kids. Looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!! Eat on or in you car, It will after all be the 1st new drive in built again in L.A. County so lets exercise it when it arrives.

28. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I am still volunteering to provide entertainment on the grand re opening day ! Don't worry about a P.A. system, DJ or bands !

Axle

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx Axle, You're on. Will keep in touch.

30. kopis

kopis

I will volunteer as well. Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to it and cant wait to see it built. Thanks again Kevin for all the work to bring the place back.