Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pacific Northwest ! still snowing !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Merry Christmas from Sunny & Warm S. Texas. It was a cool 70 degrees here today!

Lucky667

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

i moved here from San Diego. When i get a lil bumbed on the snow, I just walk into my 5000 sq. ft shop and remember what it was like sharing space with a gillion others in socal.

3. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Bring on the thaw!

[​IMG]

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i agree-the roads are pretty much clear-woo hoo!

5. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Our street looks like a slot car track with two giant ruts. The tricky part is getting into the ruts!

6. 33mopower

33mopower

And then the heating bill for that shop comes in.

7. Getting better , more rain !!!!!!!!

8. I just shoveled my roof and helped my Dad do his. Buildings around town are starting to cave in! Snow slid off the shop yesterday after 3 strait days with the heat on....so that's good! Suppost to rain tomarow wich is not good for people with 3 feet or more on their house!!!!!

9. twofosho

twofosho

Icicles are finally falling off the house, lost four "portable" garages out of five, sure glad to see the end of this round. Going to be a long haul to spring at this rate.

10. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Man, Sure glad I took the trek to Texas to visit family. 70 degree's sure feels good.
    Who is gonna shovel my driveway before I get back?

11. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Snowing again. Right here Right now. Big time. I wanna Kill something!:mad:

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

same here. and i just got done shoveling the driveway to get the wagon out for our HAMB & Eggs this weekend. best not stick

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Now this is becoming car HAMB friendly not just a weather report. I keep looking at my shop roof with ten inches of snow with an ice damn at the bottom and now this storm looks like it might dump another six inches. I don't think I'll have any problem but when this turns to rain there will be more collapses. At what depth of roof snow do you guys on the east side break out your shovels???

14. Just Dug, should have the shovel out already. Found out Jagfxr1949 had a roof collapse last night that lowered his tractor and gave an additional chop to an already chopped '53 Stude he has had for 30 years or more. Just be careful getting any additional loading on the roof. Yeah, we got 5" yesterday and it is an absolute white out here right now. Road is starting to turn white again.

15. Rolf

Rolf

Since this is the blow by blow NW weather link, here is a report from Woodinville.

3:00 PM Friday: Full blown snow storm... I can barealy see my shop anymore. I thought we had rain coming...maybe it was just a joke to keep our spirits up?

I too worry about the snow load, I have a shallow pitch on my house garage.

[​IMG]

16. an old trick is to throw a long rope across the roof peak to peak, have a person on each end and "saw" the rope towards the bottom of the roof. it usually will break a bunch loose without getting up on the roof.

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

You guy's just need a winter Hot Rod,...... Mine was originally built in 1953, solid wheels, Bigs & Littles a 4 banger and a 4 Speed, Bobbed fenders in the back, fenderless in the front,.... I am going to put a new set of King Bee's on it next year,....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

moparman, thanks for the rope idea.

19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Hope that's not a "rope a dope" idea as I may have to try it also!

20. Brandi

Brandi

Wow Rolf! I was wondering how your place, I mean PARK, was faring with all the snow up there.

21. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Still snowing! I would LOVE to be able to shovel the snow off of the shop roof! Low slope roof, enough on it right now that I am nervous, but I cannot add my weight to it to get the snow OFF, so I watch the inside structure. don't need to lower anything ELSE around here, I'll fix the Studebaker and the tractor - by the way Samammishsam, the car has been in the family since 1955 - 53 years. Don't want it to be a total loss for sure.It's just a little more customised than I had planned on right now.

22. Doug,
    I had 3 feet on my 24x30 pole building. I have a double truss made of 2x6's in the center. I really was not too worried about it, but it's suppost to snow another foot here and rain tomarow! Not a good thing. If you guys have a foot or so I think you'll be fine....unless it starts raining. Snow is like a sponge, and most houses will hold 5" of water before they collapse.

23. wayfarer

wayfarer

I just finished shoveling the snow off my garage roof. It was built in 1950 and has withstood other storms in the past 58 years, but it's 2x4 construction was making me nervous with 3' on it and more on the way. I'm running out of places to put all this damn snow. At least I haven't had to go to work in it.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We used to use a long pole (board) with a 1x6 across the end of it with a bit of bracing to keep it solid to pull the snow off a similar roof. I remember it keeping my 13 year old at the time butt off the roof when the snow was starting to build up. Luckily my grandfather built the house I live in with a steep roof and the garage has a tin roof.

six inches of snow at the house last night and more expected tonight so I am way behind Chris and the others in the Spokane area:) as far as snow goes happily.

25. Mr.Gasser

Mr.Gasser

and the best part is we are a whole 6 days into winter!:eek: I do like snow a lot better than below 0.

26. Rolf

Rolf

7:00 PM

Hey, I think I will go for a drive:

[​IMG]

Well, maybe not. :mad: Waste deep, but the snow finally stopped.

[​IMG]

Now for the big melt off...keep your drains clear !

Hopefully this will be gone in time for the Ford Picnic ! :D

27. Hey Rolf, I'm just north of you and we just got another 4"-5" more snow today. I have been keeping everyones driveway cleared and our road clear each snowfall. When we got another 8" yesterday, I fired up the Bobcat and started on my merry way. I cleared the road with about a 16' wide path, dug out a couple peoples cars and a couple of driveways when I noticed some oil drips. Well I came home and the main hydraulic line fed under an engine mount and gas tank rubbed against two nuts. It only took 5 hours to get the hose out and a bunch of cursing. I brought the hose to Napa down at Thrashers corner and they made me a new hose. One of the fittings was $54 and the hose was $12 a foot. $129 later I got a 3/4" X 4.5' long new hydraulic hose.
    I spent the next 2 hours trying to get the hydraulic fitting back on and more cursing as it was cold and snowing. I gave up for today but I feel bad as I have buried everyone with mounds of snow at the entrance of their driveway and also buried their mailboxes. I typically would do the road and then their driveways, mailboxes etc. but........
    Anyway, I will be working on the Bobcat all day tomorrow most likely in the rain. What a bitch. I think I need 3 hands!!! I do this every year for my neighbors for free as I dont work when it snows. This year was costly for the deisel and parts.
    So much for working on the Whippet!! UGH what a Christmas!!!

28. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Yeah ,this is starting to get a little scarey here in Spokane. You start to wonder how much snow some of these buildings will take. I got two low pitch roof ones shoveled off today so my old Bug and a '48 cj Willys should be safe UNLESS a branch from the huge maple the're under comes down on top. My F6 wrecker is just a boom sticking out of a pile of blown snow. My shop we built pretty solid so the stuff in there should be OK . ALL the snow on the north side roof of my steep pitch barn came down in one drop on top of my 91 Buick beater and it's just underneath a huge pile of really hard packed snow . I don't imagine thats going to look too good when I get to it. I hope nobody loses any good stuff or gets hurt falling off a roof. I think back to the winter of '68 when I was still back east and several guys lost a lot of stored cars. One lot was a ex 2 story comercial chicken barn with 40 nice step down Hudsons on the ground floor and parts on the second floor. When you could finally get to them they looked looked they'd all been run over by a Cat. Not something anyone would want to see again.

29. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

30. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle