Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Body Work Lesson For EVERYONE!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown240, Dec 25, 2008.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You see, you all need the re-enforcement because your laying too much filler in there, it wants to fall off.
    First place a loaf of bread in there to fill the hole, now you only need half an inch of filler and as a bonus when the bread rots away it sounds like a real hollow panel!

Seriously saw this in an old Holden in a mates panel shop. Though they left the bread in the plastic bag!!

Doc

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Why would the nails be any different than re-bar in concrete? Aren't you just looking for stiffness? You could probably also use pieces of wire fence.

It's just amazing what people do.

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you did it right and covered the bread with plastic wrap, after the filler was hard, you could pull the bread out and use it for something else.

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I would have kept the CAT part in there, adds character, at least it was steel. those ole boys up there are pretty smart at fixing salt damage. got lots of relatives there. :)

5. the shadow

the shadow

this post made me think of a few cars a buddy and I "fixed up" to re-sell. the repairs weren't structural so we didn't feel to bad doing it, and they weren't hot rods either. anyway we had a few cars with excessive rotted out quarters and lower front fenders so we tore out the loose stuff and used expandable "fill -n- foam" to fill the cavities then cheese graded them just below the surface. next we skim coated the area with bondo,sand,prime,paint and sell it.
    it actually looked good and was real quick.

6. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Did the car have a "nailhead" in it?

7. tred

tred

we once found a playboy magazine from 1957 as the backer for a shit ton of bondo in the lower quarter of a 70's muscle car.

odd.

8. Weasel

Weasel

Note to self: buy a new roll of chicken wire...

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's OL' SKOOL for sure....

10. 1959cac

1959cac

:confused: I hope you don't post your sins next to your classifieds.:D Anyway...I've seen steel wool in antenna holes, roofing tar and flashing floorboards, drywall screws holding '59 ford truck fenders to the cowl, but the best was green filing cabinet metal used to patch a rusty frame.<p>None of these create repeat customers!<p> Oh yeah, and on a '55 Chevy, someone patched the quarters with riveted on lisence plates.

11. When will you guys learn the proper use of nails in the repair of body panels. Looking at the deck lid you can see that the wrong nails were used for the repair of this deck lid. Note the points of the nails are facing outward and the heads are against the metal. Any expierienced repairer will immediately see that these nails were to be installed on the hood. Always drive the nail in with the pointed part facing the metal.:D

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  12. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

mine was backed with steel wool then glassed in the back...then bondo'd on the front...

The ass hat got really creative on the cowl to fender flange...seeing as it was sandwhiched steel (three peices) and all three were rotted out he pop riveted a peice of steel to the back to bridge the gap then threw the mud over that...

And that guy was supposidly a pro-body man for a high end shop in Albuquerque that did repairs for the benz and porche dealer...scary

13. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

love it, what an idea

14. ehdubya

ehdubya

It looks to me like that nail just happened to be there (rear 1/4?) and got caught in the 'lahar'. Stuffing crud in the hole is for amateurs, to save filler pros apply the filler to newspaper first and slap it over the hole.

15. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

"Necessity is the mother of invention". I found expandable insulation foam in a '46 Ford quarter panel...I no longer have the car.

16. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

what would jesus do ?

17. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

he would fill the gringo's tuck n roll with horse manure.

18. dadseh

dadseh

And I see you really did use them as filler... I can see the tack welds heat marks. Anyway thats very creative use of metal but I suggest you grind them down a bit before paint...hehehe

DAD

19. metalman

metalman

Best one I've found was a couple D cell batteries stuck in bondo of a rusted eyebrow on a 56 Chevy. Adds a little acid to the mix when they too rust out!

20. Weve seen CARPET stuffed into rust holes and hidden with bondo. I'm thinking that shag carpet or some high loop style would hold the plastic better? Got some shag left over from the interior...............................

21. .manny

.manny

i thought i had seen it all until i read some of these stories

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

reminds me of a friend who used to steal aluminum street signs to repair rusted floor pans, they got wise to it up in Ohio, cops used to have a mirror and would look if they pulled you over. he got busted because you could still see the 55 through the holes in the floor pan. I was helping a friend of mine fix an old nissan truck down here in the south,was totally rotted out, seat wasn't anchored to anything, ripped the floor mat off of the floor and almost died laughing, it had a road sign riveted to the floor pan. you could still read it. :D

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Any body work that lasts as long as the paint is ok with me. And now that we have basecoat/clearcoat, that's about 5 years if the car is left out in the sun........................:D

Nail? It would have worked better if it had been bent over!:cool:

24. My 50 Jeepster had newspaper from 1979 in the rockers. It was still legible.

25. OOPS here is the car.

Attached Files:

26. fef100

fef100

My F-truck had concrete in the cab mounts to fill the rust holes, covered in undercoat to get it to pass safety. Quite artistic.

27. Grilleguy

Grilleguy

PO was "kind enough" to just screw and nut, then braze my holes shut for me:eek:

Attached Files:

28. helmsville

helmsville

if you can use nail's on a car,im going to use bolt's on my house.

29. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

I think i bought a Camaro from you. YOU BASTARD . LOL. no, but seriously the whole rear quarter of my Camaro is that great stuff foam. Of course i knew it was like that when i bought, the whole quater had started sagging and the paint and skim coat had flaked off the foam in big chunks. I think when i fix it ill just take a torch and melt all that shit out of there. Then patch what evers left of the metal, with metal, thats ironic.

30. He may have used a nail, He was a carpenter. I'll bet if He had put that nail in, it still be there though.