Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy from Louisiana

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by modrod, Dec 20, 2008.

1. modrod

modrod

Hey guys, My name is Richard Brown. I live in Slidell Louisiana. I've been eavesdrippin' on this site for awhile but never joined. I've seen the tongue lashing that some people can get, and thought that would be the same treatment I might get do to the cars I collect. My buddy, who has been a member for a long time, said you guys are great and that it won't be the case. I like collecting old dune buggies from the 60's. I've got a couple of George Barris' buggies, a Dean Jeffries Mantaray 2 Kyote, Dick Dean's Shalako, I've got an "Ocelot" dune buggy once owned by the late cartoonist Dave "Big" Deal, and a Super Safari buggy that was designed by Tom Daniel and built by Dick Dean. I kind of see them as poor-man's showrods. The average guy in the 60's could afford a real Barris Kustom!
    They are all in the process of restoration and will all be period correct. Bias Ply "big-n-little's", metalflake, drums all around, glass fuses, pinstriping and vinyl seats. absolutly No Billet, radials, velour, stereo (ok, maybe an 8-track) late model seats, Subaru motors or freakin' roll cages. But I'm not just into buggies, I've also got a 30' A roadster I'm collecting parts for, a 53' Ford Crestline, 65' Chevy Sportvan, 73' AMC Javelin AMX, 73' Jensen Interceptor with a 440, 59' Ford Anglia and a 1963 Grumman-Olsen Kurbside van. Looking for another Caddy Hearse.
    My occupation is being a "Picture Car Coordinator" where I find all the vehicles pictured in a movie, specializing in vintage.
    Thanks for the hospitality and I look forward to learning more low-tech and history from you all.

2. My49Plymouth

My49Plymouth

welcome ... dune buggies are way cool ... post pics ... at least your avatar

3. GaryM

GaryM

Welcome from South Carolina.
    Post some pics of those vehicles, Please!
    Gary

4. modrod

modrod

I'll dig out the ole Brownie camera and post some pics. They won't be pretty just yet though. I have so many cars in the yard, I have a sign that says "welcome to the projects" except with my projects...you don't get shot.

5. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Welcome EL Chi,
    Here is your Mexican 1000 manx;
    [​IMG]

When you get the original I hope it looks better that this thing

Attached Files:

6. modrod

modrod

OK, finally added an avatar, now how to figure out how to post photo's in my album. Wish this computer could take polaroids.

7. modrod

modrod

Here is an example of a Barris "T" buggy

BarrisT.jpg

8. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

9. Judd

Judd

Welcome from the Mississippi Coast.

10. modrod

modrod

Photo 2.jpg

super safari model.JPG

Safari Ent.jpg Sorry for the delay in pics you requested. Here is a shot of the Super Safari body pulled from the chassis to undergo resto. I really like this one. The original gold metalflake is under the red paint. The famous Tom Daniel designed this and Dick Dean built it. check out the ad. Even a model was made of it.

11. 58sled

58sled

welcome from BR. i have always liked dune buggies and hope to get a chance to put one together one day.

12. HAYES-T

HAYES-T
    from Ruston,La

Welcome from Ruston,La I just moved here from Nor Ca.

13. welcome dude! originally from nawlins!

14. modrod

modrod

65van.jpg

65van2.jpg

Thanks for all the welcomes!! enough buggies, here's my 65' chevy sportvan deluxe.

15. classicfins

classicfins

Welcome to the HAMB! I love the old buggies. Here's my Maxi Taxi I aquired back in 82 or so. Traded an all original '68 Corvette convertible for it. Best trade I ever made. Sure wish I had kept that buggy... :(

Attached Files:

16. Welcome from Gulfport, MS

17. Karrera

Karrera

Cool - another buggy enthusiast! I have a 1968 Dean Jeffries Mantary II Kyote buggy I'm restoring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Hey Richard, welcome to the Hamb
    im in Gonzales
    my father in law has a stalled buggy project, when i get time i might finish it for him
    your buggies are cool

19. Philbilly

Philbilly

welcome from mississippi.

20. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Richard, Hello & Welcome to the HAMB from Texas.

Lucky667

21. Hotroddwayne

Hotroddwayne
    from Ohio

Richard, I found your post in a search for "Ocelot" dune buggies lurking in the forums. Since I just bought an Ocelot as a project buggy & the daughter laid claim to it immediately, would you post up a couple pix of your Ocelot? Hoping to start wrenching on this one soon. It's only the 2nd one i've ever found online with the removable fiberglass roof intact.

[​IMG]

Laughing at the shiny bolts sticking out from under the body edge?... those were dropped in to hold the body to the chassis for the trailer ride from Wisconsin to Ohio
    :)

22. farmer12

farmer12

Welcome from the Netherlands!

23. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

welcome from Ga

24. 343w

343w

Welcome modrod, I bought a 1969 AMX off the showroom back in the day, $3200 was a lot of money back then. Mine was the "Big Bad Blue" version, with the twin white stripes..

25. rustyhood

rustyhood

Our drummer has a buggy his dad left him and that thing is cool as hell!
    He drove it in parades. Welcome from Louisville Kentucky.

26. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Welcome from west Ga.