Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tractor grill shells

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeatnikPirate, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brado

brado
    from Ohio

Difference in opinion doesn't constitute being a prude.

I was thinkin my 8N grill might look good on my next project.

2. Clark

Clark

I would run a Oliver or Cockshut grill in a heartbeat. Both have lots of style and would blend in well with an early 30's body. Now I would run a hood with one. Ther style lends well to a track roadster look or bonneville look.

I'm sure some time in the 40's or 50's some kid put one on his hot rod.

It's funny what the "experts" think traditional hot rodding is. These "experts" would look down on hidden hinges, smooth hoodsides and lots of other things. But these where part of hot rodding back then. Just look at the McGee car.

How can anybody judge what is traditional and what is not. That person would have to of seen every hot rod built back in the day to know what was done and what was not.

It's all just a matter of opinion.
    Clark

3. ilikeflatblack

ilikeflatblack
    from HASLET, TX

only one,me .the car is 45 inches tall and i'm 6'3" and 270lbs and i still fit in the car. i think its funny how people get upset over a grill

5. Of the four million who get ticked off because something is not "traditional" only 2 of them actually have ever built a hot rod or track roadster and both of those were never running on the same day.

6. rixrex

rixrex

That first green rod with the Ross grille looked pretty sharp, nicely done, can we see some other cars and get over the rest of the crap? Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year y'all....

7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I wouldn't try to make the argument that tractor grille shells are traditional... they can be cool sometimes. It's getting a bit cliche, though. Props to the first guy who put one on his car, but now it's one of those things you have to do to have a generic rat rod, and I don't like that. The originality behind the thought is gone.

8. rusty48

rusty48

If I ever got a 30's car I'd probobly have to make some kind of grille if it didn't already have one.Theirs more guys into old tractors around here than cars,they put big money in that old stuff.

9. original patina

original patina
    BANNED
    from Texas

You're *really* onto something here. Substitute "'32" for "tractor" - then "traditional" for "rat". The rest flows rather eloquently.

10. This thread still open....:confused: :eek:

As promised....

[​IMG]

Crappy pic--sorry--but you get the idea...(or maybe not..:confused:) Think poor boy track nose" :cool:

11. brado

brado
    from Ohio

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Brado, you got it right...I don't think 'prude' has to be used only in context of ones 'naughty bits'

13. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

I know at least one of my early hot rod magazines has a car with a tractor grille. Anyone wants to stop by and help go through 200 50's and 60's magazines?

14. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Right or wrong don't matter.
    People have used them for years and still will no matter what we think or say
    Cheer up you miserable buggers its Christmas

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I suppose so. Except Deuce shells are traditional and tractor shells aren't, but hey, if you scratch out that first line, there you go.

The thing is, the Deuce shells have withstood the test of time, whereas I feel tractor shells are somewhat of a fad, but hey, I'm not here to judge. I'm not opposed to Deuce shells or tractor shells. Do what you want to do, I hate that we all sit around talking about what is "right" for a hot rod and what is "wrong" for a hot rod. Do what you like and don't worry about it, and you won't have any problems.

There are always going to be naysayers.

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just send them to me and I'll go through them.....

18. tunes

tunes

I've always said, build it the way you want and don't worry about others opinions. :D

19. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That's the best way to live, because there's no clear cut view of "traditional" rodding, and I don't even care if what I do is traditional or nontraditional. I'm building my car for me, not to please the elitists.

Simply, to each his own, let's not bicker over differing tastes. Especially not since it's Christmas week. ;)

20. I couldn't have said it better myself

Its out there cheap for those who wanna look, And tractor grill are there for those who wanna LOOK CHEAP.[/quote]

21. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

who gives a rats ass,slam that bitch in gear and let's go get a shot and a beer.....

22. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey aint opinions like assholes every one has one, but it does not mean be an asshole about it.

23. I'm curious, what did the other half say?

24. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

( ilikeflatblack ) oh jesus i just saw your name. that makes it even better :rolleyes:

25. I was just reading your profile, I noticed you said you did body work for 15 years, Is this some of your handy work?

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn, after all this, I think I'll put my Farmall shell back on, just to see how many people I can piss off. I bet they won't come up and tell you how stupid it looks to your face. They'll just go get back in their wifes Taurus and go get on the computer and bitch about it.

Overinflated Traditionalist Opinion... That's what everybody needs.

Just drivem' and piss on anybody that doesn't like it!

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

27. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

28. autoartistry

autoartistry

Except for the tech posts the H.A.M.B. has become a WASTELAND....Just
    another opinion..............

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If that's a club you WANT to belong to, go right ahead... just don't forget the red rims and the maltese cross.

thank you

Just because someone used a part from a plane doesn't mean a part from a tractor is cool. It just means they used a part from a tractor.

Oh no not the culture crack. It's about the cars not haircuts.

Oh words of wisdom from Doc, not so grumpy today, are you feeling ok?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.