Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk Yards in Alabama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old1946truck, Dec 18, 2008.

1. old1946truck

old1946truck

Are there any good junk yards in the Birmingham,Alabama area that has old iron in it?

2. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Pretty good one on 431 between Boaz and Albertville. Look to your left. I'd say about 200 cars. Most for sale. Some are junk. Pretty nice guy, he'll let you walk around.

3. old1946truck

old1946truck

Thanks I'll have to go check it out. Are there any more ????

4. Two in the neighborhood of where the above described, except not that for up the road.
    Hit 431 North out of the west side of Gadsden, go up the hill, have your co-pilot look to the right at a bunch of stuff assorted stuff and then to the first well used car dealershop to the left. Some neat stuff there.
    Just past on the left, let your co-pilot watch to the left for a red brick church.
    39 Ford coupe, a few Anglias, a couple Willys, Henry J or two, a c60 from Claremont Illinois, an OLD International school bus or traviling wayfarer's truck, 29 A truck by the road, a cabover Diamond T, an early Chevy II about to get drowned, an Isky five cycle cam decal in the window of another Anglia.
    Down the hill before, a Fred Flintstone equiped 50's Jag. a................................
    Wait a minute, it takes you 45 minutes to get there if you really want to. I only takes me 6 hours if I REALLY want to.
    Hmmmm. 38 Willys hood picture with pine needles? Junkyards?

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, you guys in Alabama----I need a 1932 Alabama plate for license plate collection, any help from you will be appreciated, Thanks,-----------Don

6. old1946truck

old1946truck

I know theres more than just two old junk yards or junk yards with old stuff in it does know were some are in the Birminham, Alabama area?

7. henry29

henry29

a few Anglias, a couple Willys, Henry J or two

Seriously?

8. k9racer

k9racer

Steel mills in birmingham. So close to mills the cars get crushed fast. The monster has to be feed. One steel mill assiscpo has its own scrap buying and processing that way they do not have to have a lost time on delivery.. THe high prices this summer also dried up the supply. If you find anything it will be very rusty and very high priced. Private collections are the way to find anything. The previous posters were correct on the yard between guntersville and gadsden. Mr Ingram is the propiter and you will pay top price if you buy from him. So what are you looking for? I might know where to find it.. Good Luck............ Bobby..........

9. old1946truck

old1946truck

Wel just about anything 1954 and older. But mainly what I'm looking for is 1939-1946 Chevy and GMC truck parts.

10. Kustm52

Kustm52

Well, there were a few....but I bought most of it...:rolleyes: and you've already seen my stash. Hardly ever see anything older than late '40s. I've never found one old ford part (rod building stuff) in any yard around here.. well, except the '46 hull I bought recently. Seriously, there is very little stuff left in this area.

Brian

11. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

If you decide to go to Gadsden/Boaz today, I might be interested in being the co-pilot and splitting gas costs. Call 470-5675.

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to drive to Birmingham several time a year. Is this the yard you can see from I-59 on the east side of the highway ? I always wanted to stop and look but never took the time

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

No, not if you're talking about the one that I think that you are. That one is between Bham and Gadsden. I've never been there either. Not sure how to get of the interstate and get to it. There's another one like that south of Bham of of I-65...not near an exit. Lot's of old stuff in it though. I've tried, but I can't find the way to it from the nearest exit.

14. Kustm52

Kustm52

Several years ago there was a few pieces of old tin left in Jefferson Co auto parts, back over toward birmingport, but it's been years since I was over there. And if you want to see a collection of old stuff that none can be bought, drive to Tuscaloosa and check out this, inside Tuscaloosa city limits.
    Go to google maps, type in 6424 fieldwood dr, tuscaloosa, AL and click on street view...

And here's another, near gadsden. Gibbs Salvage, Ridgeville. Try google maps and put in Gibbs Dr, Ridgeville, AL. Was a lot of untapped 50-60s stuff there a few years ago, but it has dried up. The old man that owned it died, and the kids were fighting over who was in control last I heard. Haven't been up there since the last big scrap price hike, they may have crushed it all and retired, there was approximately 30-40k cars there at one time (according to Mr. Gibbs before he died.)

Brian

15. Ingrams is the name. The old man had two sons. The Dad is gone now I think. The boys look like something out of Deliverance. I drive past it every month or so and nothing ever moves which says a lot about their pricing. Last time I stopped and walked around, everything was just as it had been 20 years earlier except it was all 2" shorter from rotting into the ground. At that time he wanted $1000 for everything I asked about. The yard is in the woods and between the leaves and the damp humidity it's really pretty sad. At one time there was some decent old tin.

They've had a 37 Imperial Sedan out front for 20 years. It needs EVERYTHING and a lot of rot repair and he still wants more than what a restored car is selling for.

They'll let you walk around but I wouldn't drive very far unless you're just interested in the entertainment value. You won't find any bargains.

There is supposed to be a old yard near Cullman but I don't have a phone number or name. Also supposedly to be another on Brindley Mountain south of Huntsville but, again, no info.

The mobile crushers were out in force a few months back.

16. old1946truck

old1946truck

Hey Brain Jefferson Co auto parts is still there they have a bunch of old stuff from the 30's all the way to the 70' but the guy who runs it want an arm and a leg for it. There's a bunch of old Ford flathead V8's out there I mean a ton. I just dont want to know how much he wants for them I might have to give up one of my limbs for one. There's a bunch of it thats been covered up by cudzo that who knows what is out there. when I was trying to find a 3.90 gear set for my 46 Chevy there was a 1970 model 3/4 ton out there with the gear set in it but he did not want to sell just the pumpkin he wanted to sell the whole rearend for $200. So I gave up on that idea and went to Pull-A-Part and got a 14 bolt out of a 1981 3/4 ton Chevy with 3.73 gears for $90.

17. Kustm52

Kustm52

It may seem high now, but remember, the $200 car 10 years ago is now a $750 car... although with the crash of scrap prices things may even out somewhat.

Brian

18. Back in April, there was some of that stuff there, and the old man was around.
    Take what Imperial said about the place to heart. Everything there is getting filled with leaves.
    Happy hunting!

19. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

He's pretty close in the description. The cars are mostly rusted out.
    The nicest are close to the house. I remember two early seventies big block Dodge cop cars. The one I wanted was a complete 53 crown vic. Also, I remember a Buick Invicta convertable with a nailhead.

20. 021k26rr

021k26rr
    from TN

I am subscribing .So i can go find these places.

Ben

21. old1946truck

old1946truck

Thanks for the info but around the Birmingham area old iron is really hard to it find you have to hunt.

22. KY Boy

KY Boy

When I lived there about 5 years ago there was a good old yard in Hartselle. It was a couple miles east of the interstate on the north side of the road. Cant remember which Hartselle exit, though. 30's and 40's stuff up through 80 stuff. OK found it on google maps from the air. Its on highway 36 exit 328.

I also think there was one somewhere around west point. Highway 157 west of I65 on the south and north side of the interstate. He was kind of cleaning out as they were widening the road 5 years ago. I think that killed the yard on the north side. I used to have some pix somewhere. google maps has some clouds in the picture. Cant confirm this one.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  23. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Are you guys talking about West Jeffererson Auto Parts? The owner knows what he has...he's a rodder himself (and has been since the old days...a real old time rodder). He does Forty Fords. I've found his prices on whole cars to be pretty reasonable, considering he knows what they are worth. He seems to like the idea of them being built instead of sitting there rusting out. There's not much of the real old stuff left, though. There's some though. He has three that I want really bad, but right now I have no where to put any more cars. I've got some real bargains on parts there, and I've been shafted on some prices, too. They seem to make it up as they go along. No rhyme or reason to the pricing.

24. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I know that place. It's been there since at least 1980, when I first went there, and it was obvious it had been there for many years before that. Nothing was for sale even then. I had a friend at the time (I've lost track of him) whose father was friend of this guy, and he said I could buy stuff from there through him. I never did, though.

25. That is probably Mr, Ray WHite Antique Cars and parts.he is on hwy 157 west between mile marker 7 and 8.Last time I was there he had some old stuff but that was a few years ago.He buys and trades so no telling what he has when you are there.As I recall, he was not unreasonable on his prices,I think he actually likes to sell stuff.

26. kustomchop

kustomchop

This is true on hwy 36 just 1.5 miles east of the interstate. There is alot of nice stuff on the lot half of it is put up in barns and has price tags to match. The old man is very knowledgeable, knows what he has, is not really eager to get rid of it but he will sell anything. Been there quite a few times he's a great guy, every time I seem to spend a few hours just talking to him, I believe he's nearing 80 and still pulling old tin home. He one who wants to restore everything he has. but will part with it all. I'd say its 50/50 between project cars and parts cars. But whats put up in the barn is very nice (complete) stuff. I have a feeling there is stuff lurking that I haven't seen yet (there are some shipping containers I haven't seen inside of yet). Of course I'm not really pushy on wanting to buy anything just go by to shoot the shit and look around I'll get what I'm after sooner or later I need to win the lottery first.

As for the lot on 157 west of the interstate north of Cullman, there was not much there last time I went by.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  27. kustomchop

kustomchop

If anybody is intersted in going by the yard on HWY 36, let me know I'm always down for a drive by.

28. Don't intend to go back there anytime,but I think the guy is a nice fellow.I bought a 58 Ford convertible from him several years back.It wasn't cheap,but it was affordable.If he has something you want,you just have to value it as much as he does.He told me that he goes to auctions all over the US and tows back stuff to sell.I don't think he will part anything though.Just whole cars or nothing.

29. kustomchop

kustomchop

Thats the same thing he told me auctions and estate sales, alot of stuff west of here.

As for whole cars or nothing. I've talked to him about trim pieces and bumpers off certain cars, he said no problem. He also has a good selection of parts too. Now I agree there is some stuff out there that he will no doubt only sell the whole car as is, and I don't blame him either. Like you said if you want the car his prices are fair, he ain't giving his collection away for scrap.

30. old1946truck

old1946truck

Is the yard in Hartselle open on the weekends to?