Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevrolet head casting "Marks"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by islandjeep, Dec 16, 2008.

1. I use to have a little book I put together with all the small block
    head casting marks in it. You guessed it ! It has officially gone missing
    from my tool box. Does anyone have or know of a site where I can re-copy these marks? It makes head I.D. so much faster. Thanks.

2. http://www.fastnuf.com/Headguide.html

If anyone else looks at this thread the above is a great
    casting "MARK" page. Not the definitive way to identify heads.
    But a quick way to go through a pile of heads fast.

3. Is there something similar for Big Blocks?

4. I don't know but I'll look into it and see what I can find! Seems as though there would be?

5. 61TBird

61TBird

6. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

7. I searched for awhile today for a casting "Mark" site and came across nothing for big blocks. I know they have oval and rectangle port heads with numbers. but no foundry "marks" for applications?

8. dbradley

dbradley

Only "marks" I've heard of on a BB head is a "hump" at the parting line on a rectangular port head. The 'ovals' don't have it.

9. saltracer219

saltracer219

There are a series of books(4) called " Chevrolet by the numbers" by Alan Colvin. These are available on the internet or in bookstores. They are by far the best resource for Chev info available pre 75. They have all of the info on casting numbers, symbols and a lot of factory blueprints never before published. I would be lost without mine, I use them at least several times a week. Hope this helps, G.....

10. Thanks Saltracer, I'm after those books like a duck on a june bug!