Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercedes Engine In A Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swifster, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V7

V7

I was storing a rebuilt long block at my inlaws farm for a similar early post war Benz.If it is still there ,I could help you out with parts.
    Steve (V7)

2. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey nothing better looking than a banger hands down if you think thats cool youre nuts been around a long time been to a couple of county fairs n a goat roping contest but that beats all
    my 2 cents worth
    Ken

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The "Red Baron" had a Mercedes engine in it.

4. And the late Keith Black (yes, THAT Keith Black) had a 5.6 liter Mercedes V8 powering his Deuce Roadster!

5. junkmonger

junkmonger

Ah, the erroneous notion that different is inherently better. Different is not necessarily better. The best you can hope for is a 50/50 shot, and the higher the standard, the less are your chances for success. Good luck with that, though.

6. Ok here we go again on this opinionated shit once again!! After the last few heeted rants on stuff like this I'm starting to learn about opions. So I'll throw in my .02. I think it will be OK if it makes you happy. BUT!! If you use this engine YOU MUST KEEP THE HUB-CAP FOR AN AIRCLEANER>>>>.

7. theflame

theflame

I love the sound of this, if for no reason other than how it's different. Good luck!

8. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

Not looking for off the line speed, rather in town driving and 60-70 cruising. Used to be able to do O.K. with that with the MB 240. It was peppy with the 4 sp. Would give me 28-30 MPG. We have no mountain in south Texas which will be 95% of my driving. I can alway drop to a lower gear if I ever need to climb a grade.

If after it's all said and done, if I don't like the engine, I have an old 283 with an O.D. which will be very simple to exchange. Also have a couple of flatheads. Joe.

9. Swifster

Swifster

:D Well, the original air cleaner I think is suppose to be chrome. So let's just say I'll take a wait and see on the hub cap. But I won't rule it out. I have to get this thing first :p .

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. I'll be out there in a week or so and I'll see what happens.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

sounds like something was wrong with the injection timing,i have driven those cars,even with the heavy body and had no problems. one to get is from a 300d toughest motor i've ever seen,

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if i ever my project with the 300d engine rolling, i thought about a cone type filter sticking straight up with a german ww2 helmet over it.

12. toddc

toddc

They were the fastest saloon car in the world in the early 70s, before the V12 Jags.

Isn't that inline Merc motor the same design as a Toyota Crown?

13. Squablow

Squablow

I love M-B's, just got done putting fresh paint on my '73 220d. As far as this motor goes for a hot rod, I don't know. Seems like a ton of work. If I had access to this car, I'd very thoroughly part it out so nothing goes to waste, but I don't think I'd hotrod the engine.

I guess if I was going to use an M-B engine, I'd either build an ultralight rod with a little diesel/stick setup like the truck that was posted, or a 6.3L engine for some real exotic grunt.

The 4 on the tree would be cool to adapt to something else though. I could see keeping that.

14. Yelton57

Yelton57
    BANNED

that 187 body isnt that rare, im gonna cut one up that they made only 1600 of, just to piss people off. and deisels are gay

15. Racewriter

Racewriter

I'm still trying to decide between a Jag XJ6 or a fintail for my next daily driver.

SBC powered, of course, for either one.

16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

What body style are you talking about? The one with the big sliding ragtop?

I have two 1952 220S's. One of them has the big sunroof.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  17. Weasel

Weasel

The 'Grosser Mercedes' 600 used a 6.3 liter V8 but I guess it's real easy to confuse it with an inline six - they do look real similar - especially for an experienced hot rodder.:confused:

18. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

6.3 is the monster you want , back in the 60s Pontiac was loading up a race car with a 421 Chief motor after winning by a huge margin. The Benz boys bought the car took it back to Deutschland and a few years later came out with the 6.3 liter. Imagine that 421 just like the Pontiac motor. This car would beat a Porsche and a bunch of other cars that thought they were fast! I have often thought about using one of these engines a a hot rod but god are they pricey. So Ill just have to drive my clients 6.3 whenever I get the chance. Imagine this all cleaned and polished up http://www.morrismotorsusa.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/6.3engine011.jpg , can you tell I like these!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4M4tRf0eoo , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEBHDHWPZLU&feature=related

19. I remember seeing a 34 ford in the late '80's that had a Mercedes V8 in it. Dare to be different I guess, it was pretty cool for the time.

CBB

20. rick finch

rick finch

Dean, here in the Sacramento area has a Mercedes in his roadster, and drives the living shit out of it!!! Many of you have seen it at Bonneville & Billitproof, I don't seem to remember anybody laughing at it, cause that thing hauls ass! Open your minds you guys.

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I've seen that car @ Randy & Chris' place, Very cool A bone. Kinda Vinyage aircraft like. Totally outside the box thinking, I remember saying that "he's got alot going on upstairs!;)

22. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Oh man you gotta keep that front suspension.

23. Despite the overhead cam early MB sixes look like a early chev six inside as far as the cylinder head goes. It is surprising , really. Lots of cam guys will grind you a sporty style cam for about the same as buying a new cam for other engines. I Like and use Jim Dowel at Racer Brown in Baltimore Maryland often. I would pick a hot street grind for a similar engine like say 1955 to 1962 235 Chevy. He can put that on your old core for you. He will have to use an overhead cam master that is similar but he is a smart ol dude so he wont be hampered by the design. Call him after 7 PM. He will not answer the phone when custom grinding and he custom grinds each cam. He is NOT (did you all hear me?) expensive.About the same as buying say any cam from Comp or lunati or whoever. You would need new lifters which should not be a problem. Solexes are good. Should be ok. A bit more squeeze would be nice . You could plane the head as long as the timing chain tensioner can suck up the slack. If you dont get crazy it will be a sweet piece. Of course you should learn to speak to it in its native tongue.
    Schnell Halt Links Rechts would be a good start. (Start by the way is similar in both langauges.) I have worked on a few MB sixes over the years Probably around than 10 but they were all decent. My real secret desire is to build an AC WD tractor hood based Jag 6 powered track car using the gas tank behind the seat for the boat-tail effect. I am afraid to say it out loud though.
    Don
    Don

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  24. metalshapes

metalshapes

This car started out with a Mercedes Engine...

99-2.JPG

Its a Morgensen Special, built in the mid '50s in Phoenix for Tracy Bird who raced it.
    A sister car to the Morgensen Plymouth (this pic was taken after it was converted to Buick Power but before it went to Max Balchowsky)

Morgensen Spl  01.jpg

The Engine in the Morgensen/Bird Spl was a 3 litre straight 6 out of a big Benz sedan ( also known as the Adenauer Mercedes )

engineupright150.jpg

But it was later converted to a V8 as well.

Here is a pic of the Chassis, the way it looks now.
    ( it will get a Nailhead Buick, like its sistercar did...)

special 115.jpg

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

something about old german engineering just seems to go well with hot rods. :)

26. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

You're jivin' us of course. Shit fire to save matches, anything! you do unless it's to use the whole ball of wax is really insulting to 'traditional'. Even if it' s just a rust bucket with restorde chassis/drivetrain, would be a magnificent start. After that go with your preferences.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

today probably anything that isn't the same cookie cutter cars. lots of out of the box thinkers on here. :)

28. Only if you keep the ford hubcap for an air cleaner top.

Edit: I guess I shoulda read the whole thread first....

29. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Have you gone as far as making sketches of your idea? Post 'em if you have.

30. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The fact that he decided to go a totally different route than most early OHV's or even a flatty. I've been guilty of doing the "inside the box thinking deal" due to financial constraints, but the A rdstr took a road that made it truly unique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.