Register now to get rid of these ads!

what will become of our stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1939fiat, Oct 1, 2008.

1. son of Mr.'55

son of Mr.'55

hitchhiker, I'm at the front of scotty t's list. two of the cars in his collection came from my dad. I think if I have the money, I should have first dibs. as well, my dad pasted 12 years ago and my mom is selling off pieces and parts gathered over thirty to forty years ago. between my stuff and my dad's there is alot of stuff. if anyone needs '55 chevy parts, let me know. might have something someone needs.

2. Dirty2

Dirty2

I know 2 different guys that says in there wills their car collections and parts are going to be crushed . I wont sell or give them anything else .

3. Crom

Crom

I'm 32. I got the car bug from my Dad who is now 68. He has thought about selling his car before. I've always planned to buy it through a third party and give it back to him if he ever does. When I do eventually inheret the car, I will never ever ever sell it. My wife understands that she is simply renting her spot in the garage until that car needs the space.

4. nikdoestattoos

nikdoestattoos

My son is only 17 months old im only 25 im a young dad but since the age of 4 i was heavy into cars.Hes not even 2 and demands to sit in my car and my old mans car and screams when i try to take him out...i guess thats a good thing.

I can only hope he will appreciate the good stuff when hes older cant imagine what its gonna be like when hes driving...maybe jettsons cars.But hopefully he will dig this shit.

5. Vorhese

Vorhese

So they'll give it a bad chop job and paint it flat black? HAH! I kill me. Less rockabilly at these things please.

6. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

The "stuff" isn't important. What really needs to be saved are the stories! Just like our WWII vets, the people who were there when it happened are dying or their memory is fading. Tell anyone who will listen, write it down, or post on the HAMB. :)

7. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Why would they do that?

8. Unfortunatly, I know a few guy's with their heads just that far up their asses. One restorer would rather crush his stuff than take a chance on a hot rodder getting ahold of it:rolleyes:

9. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

Ya know, I was thinkin about that today. I hope my wife knows who to contact to send it where ever. If not who knows where it'll end up. She can have a huge garage sale!!!!!

10. smarg

smarg

thats a stupid way to think about it

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

Sounds reasonable.

Except...

He was there to buy parts.

His advise might have been a bit more Self Serving than you thought...

12. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I've often thought about this. I'm only 35 but I have become the caretaker for my Great Grandfather's, Grandfather's, Father's, Great Grandmother's, and former bosses stuff. Eventually my Mother's and Grandmother's crap will get added to this collection. When my old next door neighbor died and his daugther was throwing all his tools and cool old stuff into a dumpster, I went in after it. Yep, I've got too much stuff - trying to thin it out right now. It's true it's just stuff, but I find that I really want that connection to people that were important to me. It's pretty cool to work on my current project with tools that were passed down from my Grandfather to Father, then to me. I have a lot of cool stuff that I prefer would not end up at the bottom of a landfill or on a scrap barge to China. I guess I need to hurry up and have some kids to brainwash. :D Hmm... I guess I need to get another girlfriend and then...

13. i'm 52..men on my dads side don't seem to reach 60..most died before 55..my dad 2 months before his 54..and retirement to manage someones "investments"..he sailed and was buying his dreamm yacht...but he died....i have my topolino after many years of waiting..i almost died while sick 7 years ago..have 100% disability layin on the table,,waitin,,.think i'm going Richs route with my blown vega and old 48 cj2a...and alot of other stuff...then focus and spend strictly on the fiat...problem is i can't bring myself to sell either or..yet...i divorced from my son and daughters mother..spent alot of the last 6 years away from them, out of state...i also have a C&C/factory custom 89 chevy GTU setting with sons name on it..but when he turned 16 4 years ago, he wanted a honda something sporty...peer pressure?? not sure,,,he doesn't have a clue about my topo...figure it would make more of an impression to just show up in it one day instead of trying to describe it...really no interest from either in old cars..my wife hates all my hot rods, topo vega, and others i've owned since we married 7 years ago...figure she'll sell them cheap, or lord forbid any of her shit head 3 sons gets near any of my stuff after i'm gone....bunch of drunken bums....

.my mom remarried when i was 3.. my real dad died when i was 35 ,, i spent several years learning to become better then average sailing his sloop...then i sold it really cheap to a younger couple with kids..they came to "see it" cause it was close..even stated they couldn't afford it before they came.i asked what they could afford and sold it to them for even less...i guess they finnaly got something to tow it to water...maybe my son will do the same...if not, i want the topo to be sold to someone who wants it so bad they wouldn't ever sell it..change it to their taste..fine...but feel the love for it as i do...some cars are like that for some people....

i avoided this thread alot, between my health, family history,,,,,and the fact that i just ain't fuckin done yet............

14. sodas38

sodas38

Weez just care takers, it will move on to the next care taker wether family or not.

Where do I get in line to be the care taker of Bruce Meyer's goodies?

15. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

One of our guys always said,

Some day someone else will be screwing your wife and driving your car, so you might as well enjoy them now...........

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I guess when that day comes , my wife said she will just call the auction house and let them do the work . I have way too much stuff . A 100% pack rat !! She can have it all if she is around . If not I have one daughter and she can have it all then buy the 66 Black Vett with a 427 that she wants real bad . That is her dream car ! I am enjoying what I have now and when I am gone whoever is next in line can do what they want with it ! That's the way I look at it !​

17. rusty48

rusty48

I think I know kinda how you feel,I got stuff from both sides of my family way on back.My parents passed about 4 years ago and had to take care of all their stuff,some I kept some I got rid of.Really you should be proud that people thought enough of you to give you the stuff they valued most.I was about your age before I had my first kid,now I got 3 of em'! My son loves old cars-anything old really,I want him to get my cars tools and guns.Two daughters can split the other stuff I hope.A lot more important things than our materal possesions but just enjoy em' while were here.

18. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

This post made me giggle alittle because just today I heard a familiar statement from my father....
    "Now Gina this will be worth alot money after I'm gone......"
    and I mean he's got soooo much it makes my head hurt thinking about what some would call "junk" and others "treasure".

19. need to to start a H.A.M.B beneficiary club. free will/trust set-up for the goods. :)

20. Armstrong

Armstrong

My son was raised to be a hot rodder. I sometimes catch him lookin' at me like he's thinking"How long before his stuff is my stuff? " :D I'm only 52. He's got a long wait;).

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I don't collect much, if I don't need it, I sell it on ebay. The car? I plan to wear it out, before I check out.............

On a serious note, if that was your intent, I have a will and everything is listed. Kids shouldn't have to fight over stuff we leave.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

For sure. I listen to the undertow. If I ever hear rumblings of "nursing home", I have a bug-out plan! They'll never find me.

23. cody repp

cody repp
    BANNED

My grandfather past away recently, and he left me and my dad everything, (cars,parts,tools,machinery,etc) my grandmother looks at MY stuff like money, anlong with her brother....(i dont claim relation to that s.o.b.) anyways i was getting ready to go to town one night and i overheard her brother(who was over to eat my food) suggest my grandmother take the keys to the cars.............................................
    you should have seen me walk on water......its amazing how a kimber 1911 magazine full of 45apc jacketed hollow points mates with the pistol under extreme rage. anyways pistol in hand i had that bastard up against the fireplace, and i told him that while in MY grandfathers home he WILL refrain from talking about MY grandfathers choices of who the vehicles were givin to. if he hadnt of nodded yes in between the tears and shaking i would have had to pour another foundation and extend my shop;)

I somehow look at my grandfathers(MY) cars as part of the family, without them around i dont know if i could handle the loss. Mourning is a hell a of alot easier when your in the garage:cool:

24. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

my uncle had a old 1957 holden he was going to give me but then when i reached my teens he figured i wouldnt want the daggy old car so he sold it for about $50, a few years later when i was 18 i took out finance to buy a 1957 holden myslelf, a run down project car for $1200 that i never got on the road, i became obsessed with these cars and it was a nice car my uncle had in the back yard, we are both kicking ourselves now that its gone and now his sons are starting to show interest in the same model of car and we thought they wouldnt.
    i wouldnt get rid of nothing till i am sure the great grand kids wont want it

25. I am 23 and one thing is for sure in my family. My nephew gets my 1930 model A. He may only be 13 but he has the same passion for it. He pretty much gets my "cool chit" as he puts it. If I leave before I should.-Weeks

26. Tis a sobbering thought. I dont know anyone who would want my stuff. I built the Sr dragster just to try the snowmobile carb thing. Now that I have proven to myself it does work well I have satisfied that desire . The current project (Hemi- Jeep)is just for fun. I also build violins for a hobby. I have 6 now and have no idea what will happen to them. I guess it doesnt matter as long as I get to enjoy them now. I put a Minnie Pearl style price tag on the Sr dragster after i ran it the first time. Just for fun but in truth if someone gave me a decent offer I would sell it. My joy is in the building and testing, after that I am too much Mech and too little racer I guess. One of the problems too of thinking outside the box is you are often there by yourself. As I approach 60 I am very aware of my mortality. 20 to 25 years left at the very best. I decided I better get busy and build what i want now. I read a book once called "Dont die with your fishing pole still in the drawer". Hot rodding aint fishing but it is a similar hobby. Enjoy it for now and enjoy the friends you've made i guess is the best one can do. What was that quote from that English guy? "The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred in their bones." This week i had a Hot rod friend pass away in hs upper sixties. He was in terrible health for sure but still stopped in anytime he was by and my shop door was open. We have been friends since the 60s. I am sure all his stuff will vanish to the scrap yard in a cloud of dust. Apparently there is not even going to be a funeral. I shall remember "Posty" in the good times with his 427 Mustang, dual fours and big smile.
    Don
    Don

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this crosses my mind from time to time--heard the yardstick deal too--at 65 I'm near the end of the yardstick too. I have most junk labeled and my wife and son are well aware of what things are worth and how to get rid of them but the nagging problem are the 1/2 done projects. Have a 57 Fuely in pieces with alot of money invested ($40K)-don't know anyone in the family who could reaasemble it and make it run--kinda finicky.
    Just bought another 40 coupe project as well but it would be easy to get rid of if I croaked--I'll be gone so just hope she gets what she can out of this stuff-

28. Put all your worries to rest, and have your kids get a hold of ME when the time comes:D