Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abomination

Abomination

You know, I'm almost sure you'd find something like that on one of the hardcore 4x4 boards. You'd likely be better off going with a Blazer though, as they shorter wheelbase will likely better match the original Jeep frame.

Then again, if an S-10 can be swapped onto a K5 frame, you may be better trying that, lending (at least externally) to it's Jeepy-ness.

Here's a link with lots of pics of how this guy did this:
    http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=47959&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And a pic:

[​IMG]

~Jason

2. mad torquer

mad torquer

[​IMG]

For my 50 ford convertible, the wheelbase of a longbed s10 was 114 inches, the same as the '50. I didn't like the s-10 setup in the back; so I used the front stub and made rear rails and used '67 chevy truck-arms. Very easy and fits nice.

3. Abomination

Abomination

Thanks for the pic, mad torquer! 5150 Merc, there's an illustration of how to get around that funky rear. :D

~Jason

4. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Nice!! :D

5. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

that is cool.i was planing on just using the front susp off the s10 and grafting it to my frame like madtorquer did.but isnt the width from hub to hub narrower on the ford then the merc?

6. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

There was one on Ebay this Summer. It looked good.

7. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

Just a quick post from an FNG that may be appropriate.

I have two AD trucks going together, one on an S-10 frame inspired by this posting http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8491

The other with a custom front cross member using the stock 1948 frame. The cross member uses GM Metric / S-10 A-arms and spindles however at the wider track width.

Since there are way too many photos to list, here are some links:

The 1948 5-window with a BBO planned on going into it - http://rides.webshots.com/album/560482736JOxVQx

My cross member for 1947 - 1955 Chev and GMC trucks - http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561711357EzPphT

and my 1953 Frankentruck - http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562699262CfcAqj

Originally I picked up a '97 S-10 for the '48, however after researching the S-10 kits and not wanting to screw with adapters for the front end, different axles for the rear, I decided to take what I know, and design the cross member.

Then I came across a '53 cab and front clip from Colorado for a good price and decided to put Frankentruck together. Fortune landed me a Cummins Diesel for motivation. Another running S-10 for $200 was procured for the Tilt column, wiring harness, transmission, wheels and front suspension components with the engine and rear sold and a pile of scrap turned in, Franken truck may be together for under $3k total. I plan on running wheels with the proper offset to eliminate the need for wheel spacers

Now on to one of the roadblocks I have - I need to find a R&P for the S-10 chassis

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

Nice work on that crossmember!

What are you soaking all your parts in for rust removal?

9. Abomination

Abomination

...vinegar?

~Jason

10. Abomination

Abomination

You sir, are in inspiration! I'm glad you joined us!

How did you find us, anyway?

~Jason

11. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

1 part muriatic acid, 20 parts water. Pressure wash the bajesus out of it, repeat. Works best in warmer weather only taking 2 days. in temps down to 20, I used a stock tank heater to keep the mix from freezing.

I then used metal prep and POR15

12. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

Google as well as a few fellow stovebolters.

13. Abomination

Abomination

Really? Great!

I started this thread for just that reason - to help folks out there that wanted to do this. My goal was to have it come up on Google searches and word-of-mouth to reach the masses. I'm glad I did. :)

Hey - are there any stovebolters out there that have put 6-bangers in the S-10 frame? We're DYING for some pics over here! Send 'em our way, will ya?

~Jason

14. Abomination

Abomination

You should totally snap more pics and post your formula as a tech thread!

~Jason

15. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

damm that is cool... i wish you would post the DWG or DXF files for it that would be great...
    [​IMG]

16. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

its funny if you typ 3100 s10 swap in google you see on the 2nd place this forum thread.. :D

17. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

and if you type in 3100 ifs crossmember in google, you get my threads at the stovebolt.

Google is a wonderful thing.

Jason, the post is vefinative S-10 frame swap vehicle list. Has anyone actually compiled a list?

18. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

when are these pages going to be edited... this post is great i realy loving it but if i want to read somepthing back i dont like the 40pages i have to read back...

19. Abomination

Abomination

Have you tried the "search this thread" search, in the red bar towards the top of the page?

~Jason

20. colts hotrod crazy

colts hotrod crazy
    from Apex NC

21. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

22. Abomination

Abomination

That is one low International...

I'll bet if you stop it, then back up a few feet, you'll have collected a couple of hundred dollars in change!

~Jason

23. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

The lowest you can get the cab and front clip for an AD chevy on an S-10 without a transmission tunnel is to mount the cab 3.5-4" off the frame. below that, you will need to put in a driveshaft tunnel. My cab is at 3.5, and I have to clearance the floor with a BFH metalworking tool in a small spot.

2" drop spindles will help as well.

24. Abomination

Abomination

Keep us posted on your rack & pinion findings, Scott:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317918

~Jason

25. Ingo#147

Ingo#147
    from Germany

Yes. Here in Germany 4 Years Ago. Start with my 46 Ford Coupe from Chile. Rotten Floor and Frame. We use a S10 Single Cab Long Bed. Shorten the Wheelbase and Channel the Bodie 4" over the Frame.

[​IMG]
    Shot with DMC-FX8 at 2007-08-23

Chevy 350 Bored 030 with some Stuff and a T10 4Speed.
    Next Step.
    [​IMG]
    Shot with DMC-FX8 at 2007-08-23
    After a Lot Of Hard Work Back on The Street.
    Since Mai 08.
    [​IMG]
    Shot with DMC-FX8 at 2008-06-24

#Ingo

26. Abomination

Abomination

Very nice!

Glad to see more Germans on the HAMB - welcome, my Bavarian friend! :D

~Jason

27. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

colts hotrod crazy,
    If you really wanna get low, you gotta cut the floor. here's a couple pic's of my template's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Later,
    Billy

28. colts hotrod crazy

colts hotrod crazy
    from Apex NC

i was hoping that i wouldn't have to cut the floor. can you lower the motor any. i have the motor mounts for the v8 swap i was thinking that i could flip sides and it would lower the engine some.

29. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Don't really know what mount's your using......but you gotta make sure you got clearance for your exhaust to upper control arm, and oil pan to crossmember.

30. colts hotrod crazy

colts hotrod crazy
    from Apex NC

good point. i was gonna try it and see but i think you may be right its gonna be really tight. my mounts are the summit mounts i think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.