Register now to get rid of these ads!

headlight frenching

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InsaneEmpire909, Dec 18, 2008.

1. InsaneEmpire909

InsaneEmpire909
    from 909

anyone french there headlights by using the stock buckets and rings? I want to try this on my chevy and could use some advice. Thanks

2. Thats the way it was done back in the 50's...

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If your stock headlamps doors are stainless steel that's not a great way to go! The stainless steel will attack the carbon steel and over time, will rust out. It's much better to build your own parts from carbon steel. This way you can make them any size and shape you need to fit your fenders & grill opening.
    The "search funtion" will yield many posts on this as it comes up quite often.

Good luck with your project,

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

4. short step

short step
    from ludlow ma

get a ring that will fit your fender , weld & fill then put the basket in from the rear
    bob

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

Bob is right, but you'll want to grind the lip off of the front of your headlight buckets so they can bolt up flush from behind. Just turn around the clips on your fender so the screws go in from behind rather than from the front.
    I don't know if the stock headlight rims are stainless steel (mine were missing when I bought my '51), but you really are better off with some steel ones. Sandblast off the chrome and you're good to go.

6. R Pope

R Pope

What year Chevy are you working on?

7. DKcoupe

DKcoupe

I didn't want to screw up the paint on mine at the time so I did this. I cut off the mounting tabs, welded a 3/4 inch piece around the bucket and attached new tabs. I used the stainless rings from a 52 - 54 Ford inside the stock Chevy ones. I can still changes or adjust the lights from the front. I guess this is more like tunnelled than frenched since I didn't weld the rings to the fenders.

[​IMG]