Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone used a 4.2L Ford V6,O.D. autotrans in their ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V7, Dec 16, 2008.

1. V7

V7

I'm looking for an older truck to purchase and I've about settled on a late 50's F100 .The engine is a 223? in line 6 which I don't think will cut it for highway travel .I've got access to a late 90's F150 with a 4.2L /auto trans.This engine puts out 205hp with about 250 ft lbs of torque @3500 rpm . Thoughts ..pros and cons of swapping that late engine/trans into the early truck? I'm not looking for a race truck,I just want something that can cruise @ 70mph,climb hills without sweating and get decent gas mileage .Thanks.
    Steve (V7)

2. V7

V7

Surely someone here knows all about this engine trans combo..anyone ?..don't be shy ;)

3. Wheelless

Wheelless

I had one in a work truck.. very reliable. The truck had over 350,000 kms on it and still going. would be a great daily combo.

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The aod is tied into the computer so you would need the entire wiring harnes for the engine, trans, computer, etc. The main thing to watch out for on the 4.2's is that the factory intake gaskets tend to go away and leak water into the intake port(s), and it will hydro-lock the engine causing bad things to happen (= broken, or bent connecting rod(s), etc), so replace the intake gaskets. If you don't want any of the computer stuff the engine has the same bellhousing pattern as small block fords do so you can install a C4, or manual trans without much difficulty, the early 3.8's are the same externally so you can get a duraspark, or tfi distributor, and put it in place of the cam position sensor in the front cover, also the early 3.8 comes with a intake manifold that will accept a Holley (or motorcraft) 350 - 500 cfm a bbl carburator. I had to rebuild the 4.2 in my dad's 97 F150 at 230,000 miles because of the intake manifold gasket failing causing a bent connecting rod, so change out those intake gaskets asap.

5. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I think your choice would be fine, but you might be suprised what that little 223 can do with minor work. Shaving the head and decking the block will up the compression. Shoot for 9.5 CR. Adding headers and a decent intake and carb will really wake these motors up.

6. Ice man

Ice man

I used a 3.8/ AOD in my 29 Roadster with great sucess. Down here you use what you got, and once I replaced the Ford stock carb, it ran great and gas mileage was greatly improved. Lots of power, and we have mountains here. Took it to Florida for a couple of years and it loved to run at 70, for hours. Had a small rear main leak that never seemed to go away and I tried, even new bearings and seal did not correct it, but she would run. GGggreeeat. You have problems to deal with that I did not encounter with mine, I was at the cut off point with simple. It even had an oxygen sensor but no electronic carb. You figure. Once I took all the stuff off the engine you could even see it, and it had everthing, full power everything. Even found a set on NOS chrome valve covers for $45.00 Ice man

Attached Files:

7. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

There are alot of performance parts available for the 3.8/4.2 the difference between the two is that the 4.2 has a longer stroke, and pistons with a shorter compression hight, connecting rods are the same length as the 3.8's, the later model 3.8's, and all 4.2's have hyd roller cams, the heads are aluminum and they are canted valves (they are the same design as the 351 cleveland 2 bbl heads), plus the engine is 40 lbs lighter than a 3.8 buick V6. Check out some of the late model mustang forums, some of those guys are making incredible power with these engines, along with increasing their reliability.

8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I had an 97 F-150 with A 4.2 and I had to put a new long block in it at 69,000 miles because a wrist pin let go......
    I saw a bunch of 4.2 powered trucks with "bad motor" marked on them at the junkyard today....

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Another victim(s) of the bad intake gasket(s).:mad:

10. modelamadman

modelamadman

I have a 98 f-150 4.2 with a AOD (R470W). 265,000 miles later tranny needs some TLC. But the motor still runs well so I wouldnt hesitate to use that combo. In my truck it would turn around 1,500 rpm's at 70 miles per hour. Thats with 3.55's out back. (about 20-22 mpg)

11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

why would you put all the effort int using that motor. There are surely better choices to be had at pick n pull.

12. V7

V7

First of all,I would just like to thank everyone for their input..you guys RULE ! I was thinking of using the 4.2 efi w/aod trans as a way to get decent.. fuel mileage,reliabilty,driveability and power.Oddly enough the weight of a 302 shows to be 20 lbs.LESS than the 4.2 .This was taken from a list of engine weights that someone posted on the HAMB .What I'm starting to wonder is might I get the same mileage with an injected 302 and aod ,plus with more power :eek:, compared to the 4.2L?
    Another thought I had was to possibly swap in a late 300 inline six with efi , a turbo and aod .I had an E150 with the 300 in it and it was an incredible engine .
    Steve (V7)

13. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Parts are cheaper for a 302 than a 4.2.

14. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

i have people call all the time looking for those engines!

from what i've seen they are not a good choice and pretty hard to find because they are so bad.