Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Mason Dixon or 75 80 pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Div1Racer, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Div1Racer

Div1Racer
    from Virginia

Hi guys, I'm new here although I do have some friends that members.
    I hate to ask for a favor being a 'newbie' but I'm searching for pictures of Mason Dixon or 75-80 Dragway from the late 60's and early 70's.
    I'm really looking for some of a green 67 Shelby that says Mr.Preston on the side (see attached). This is my Dad's car that he raced back then. He actually raced there years before in different cars like his 56 Mercury, 63 Galaxie, etc but this was undoubtedly his favorite.
    We dont have many pics of it so any would be very appreciated, even if it's just in the background, etc. Any and all pics from Mason Dixon or 75-80 would be appreciated. Some cars that he raced againist were Mr.Clean, The Matador, Wild Child, That Dart,Hemi Hunter, Super Cuda, etc. Feel free to post them here, private message me or e-mail me, I have some pics from back then I'll be happy to share as well.
    Thanks, Div1Racer.

Attached Files:

2. oj

oj

Is this the car that wound up at purvis ford and they raced up into the 90,s even while doing pro stock? Any summerduck racers here? They might know.

3. 41hemi

41hemi

I remember the Wild Child race car from 75-80 Dragaway. It was an American Motors Javelin or AMX. It pulled the wheels off the ground and drug the rear bumper every time:D Sorry but I do not remember your dad's car.....looks cool though:eek:

4. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

5. 50shoe

50shoe

6. Div1Racer

Div1Racer
    from Virginia

No, he never sold the car. He did race it at and other cars at Summeduck, he even raced at the Duck when the still started with flags instead of a tree.

Div1Racer.

7. Div1Racer

Div1Racer
    from Virginia

Here's some pics of Jimmy Raffensberger's Nova the King Duce (Deuce). He raced at Mason dixon and 75-80. The track shot is 75-80.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  8. DYNO360

DYNO360

Yeah, I remember "Mr. Preston", and I saw him race many, many times. When I was living in Baltimore County in 1962, I made the long drive to Monrovia and raced my '52 Chevy in N/S at the track. Later, I moved to Carroll County and that's when I started working at the track. I announced at 75-80 for years and years, starting around 1970. I have many fond memories of that track.

9. Don't know how I missed this thread before, but please keep the pics and stories coming.

10. I don't doubt it Don,this thread is 6 years old,I would also like to see more photos. HRP

11. I appreciate DYNO360 bringing it back up. A lot of folks have come and gone since 2008. Hopefully this will inspire some new people to post up pictures and memories. He just joined up in July and with his background I'm sure he has some great tales to relate.:)

12. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Somehow I missed this thread too...

Here is one from 1963.

DH7580Dragway1963.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Another one from 75-80 in 1964.

Malcolm4.jpg

14. 0ldracer

0ldracer

One more from 1964.

Malcolm3.jpg

15. Malcolm Durham was the man. Cool shots, thanks for posting.

16. DYNO360

DYNO360

Yeah, the "Deuces" were wild at 75-80. In addition to Rafensberger's King Deuce, there was Buddy "Anvil Arm" Bodmer's Double Deuce, and Sonny Dix's B/S Little Beaver. Nelson Grimes had a beautiful '66 called Poison Ivy. Chub Whiticker (sp?) had a modified production Chevy II, the Rush, that always ran under the index. I know I'm forgetting a lot of Chevy IIs, but there were so many cars and so many memories.

17. Thanks, DYNO, for keeping this thread alive.

18. 41hemi

41hemi

I remember a 1960 Chevy that ran at 75-80. It was called the Bracket Squad. Car was painted police colors in blue and white. Had a police light on the roof. Man, when that car launched it pulled the left front wheel about 2 feet in the air. Looked like the car was twisting in half. Another that comes to mind was a Corvette called the Virginia Gentleman. An older guy owned and raced it. I talked with him one evening up there and he told me he had quit drinking and instead used the money he wasted on booze to build and maintain the Vette. Hence the "Virginia Gentleman" name. Also remember the Malco super coupe and the malco super vette. Lot of nice memories!

19. 41hemi

41hemi

Hey Dyno360, an old friend of mine used to announce up at 75-80 back in the 70's and 80's. His name is Jim Whelan. Just curious if you knew him.

20. DYNO360

DYNO360

Name sounds familiar, but I can't picture the guy. Yeah, the announcers at 75-80 were a bunch of wild guys, starting with Chauncey Kramer who announced in the early days when the timing tower had no windows, just a roof. His favorite line was saying "miles per day" instead of mph when reading the ets and speeds of the car. He was a show in himself.
    After Chaucey, a guy named Joel announced for many years. His career ended abruptly when his wife arrived one night without notice and caught him with his girl friend in the tower. The tower was rockin'. I was working the staging lanes that night and Bill Wilcom's brother, Webber, knew that I had announced at York US 30 and came and got me to fill in. That same night I started announcing at the track.
    A smooth talker was Bob Bartee that announced for a little while. Also, Jimmy Warfield was a hoot. He also had a gasser, the Iron Butterfly, that he would sometimes race. He said some things that I won't mention, that still make me laugh. There was another guy, who also was a racer that did some announcing, I think his name was Al Kitchen. He lived in Hagerstown and was a really nice guy. So many memories.
    I'll get off my soapbox now, I have talked too long.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  21. Dads426

Dads426
    from Olney, MD

22. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

23. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

DYNO 360....Do you recall a white 55 chevy that ran C or D/Gas at 75-80. If I recall the car came out of DC....Thanks JT

24. DYNO360

DYNO360

Link worked, but it is a "closed group". You've got to join to see or add pictures? Don't know too much about Facebook. Too bad, it looked interesting.

25. DYNO360

DYNO360

Can't recall right now, let me think on it. 75-80 had many modified eliminators, in the summer it was almost every Saturday night. So many outstanding cars. They even had A/Gassers from time to time, including "Big Dave" Saul's blue corvette (would run on the index - very fast) and a Willys coupe called the "Eliminator". Larry Kopp's "Mad Man" '57 wagon won a lot of 'em. Of course Chris Lang had his Malco Vette there from time to time, along with Jimmy Porterfield's "Patriot" corvette out of Martinsburg, WV. So many cars my head is spinning.
    Some well known white '55 gassers were the "Rapid Rodent" and also the "Stormin Bull", but they were from PA or NJ.
    At York US 30 there was a white '55 called "Mr. Modified", driven by Ronnie Bristoe. A 4 spd, 327, dual quad speedster. Had a four tube collector coming out each fender with "noise" lettered above. Won a lot of races at York, but never ran at 75-80. I been looking for a picture of that car for weeks. When I find it I'll post.

26. DYNO360

DYNO360

'58 thru '64 Chevys will twist like that, due to the "X" frame. Yeah, I recall the "Bracket Squad". There was another one (I think called Super Trooper), a Mopar ex state police cruiser. Lettered on the back edge of the trunk was "Was Fuzz, now is the Racer's Pacer". Had a big cartoon on the trunk too, featuring "Little Annie Fannie" from Playboy fame taking a bubble bath (in order to keep it PC). Somebody could really paint professionally, it was that good. Don't remember the driver's name, but he was having fun.
    The "Virginia Gentleman" was a class act. Raced every week.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  27. 0ldracer

0ldracer

mrmod1.jpg

1962 at 75-80 Dragway

28. 0ldracer

0ldracer

29. DYNO360

DYNO360

That's "Mr Modified" at 75-80 alright. Wow, I never knew he ran there! Great pictures. It was one of my favorite gassers. I think he ran a modified corvette at Cecil County Dragway after running the '55 Chevy.
    My all time favorite gasser was "Scarlet Fever". I saw it in the pits at the U.S. Nationals in '62 or '63, but never saw it run. What drove me wild was painted in tiny letters on the moon tank were the words, "Scarlet Fever Medicine". How cool is that! Scarlet Fever.jpg

30. loudbang

loudbang

There has to be a mistake in this photo. Here we have a real running "B" gasser and not a straight axle in sight. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]