Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quad 4 Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Has anyone dealt with them?? I'd like to hear if anyone knows anything about them. Good to deal with? Bad to deal with? Honest? Liars?

2. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I don't know anything about them being in a rod but I work with John Herman at Bosal Exhaust in Ann Arbor. He raced a Quad 4 for years around Michigan in a touring class. Was about an 88 Calais and series champion several times.

He worked at Olds in Lansing for 10 years and has a slew of parts and knowledge in his garage and his head. He's also done a ton of flow work on heads and manifolds and put out some solid power in the class he was in.

I'll talk to him this week and see what recommendations he may have.

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

A friend of mine has dealt with them for some time on a Quad 4 powered roadter he is building. He has always had good things to say about their products and service.

4. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

I know the guys behind Quad 4 rods pretty well. My roadster has most all of the stuff they offer for the Quad 4. I had it out at the last swapper you guys had out at the shop. Not exactly traditional. Let me know if I can help.

Mike

5. bonesy

bonesy

I saw a little black T roadster for sale somewhere with a Quad 4. Great looking little car - I'll see if I can find it. It is the only modern mill I would use in an exposed engine car.

6. turdytoo

turdytoo

I saw one at OKC one year. It said on the cam cover, "okie offy".

7. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

More to the point of this thread, I've bought and sold stuff with John over the years and have no complaints about the transactions or the products.

Mike

8. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

The " Okie Offy " lives in BA Ok. in a nice garage.

9. Care to share some pics:D?... that car is a fantastic build!!!

10. I was introduced to John last year at the NSRA Pueblo event. He was driving his quad 4 street rod.
    Later in the summer I was at Bonneville, John was not there as the granddaughter was having a baby, but the Lil Salt T was there - A record holder.
    Those that know him say he's a real good guy.
    PM me and I'll give you the e-mail address of a very good friend of mine who is involved in the Bonneville car with John.

11. power58

power58

Quad 4's are 19.250 tall18 inches wide from oil filt to water pump intake. 21 inches from belhousing flange to front pulley. The 8 character of the Vin is the engine code. A "D" is standard 150-160 HP the "A" code is the 180 HP code. The "D" code is the most common. The cylinders have little wear after 100,000 miles. They adapt easy to Carbs and Distributors. Check out Quad 4 Rods for belhousings and timing covers. YH carter carbs have been used . Headers were made from the stock "A" code stainless exhaust flange so tubing and a 36 Ford driveshaft tube. GM had problems with cracked heads, head gaskets, and blocks. They fixed it by 1989. Look for 1989 and early 94 engines. Twin Cam 2.4 L have balance shafts and are not recommended. Doug Anderson rebuilders has a great site for Quad 4 rebuiding info. My Avitar has my 1994 Quad 4 on a Bolens Garden Tractor. Have some Quad 4 pics in my Album also. Good Luck on your project.

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Mike, I thought your car was pretty bitchin! :cool:

13. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm typically not somebody who gushes about anyone or anything. I've known and dealt with John for a few years now and he's good people and a true hot rodder. I've known some of the people involved in the Lil Salt T race team longer than any of us would care to admit. In my book John is a part of a pretty great bunch of guys and fits right in. Most of the Quad 4 stuff on my car (except maybe the prettier stuff) is the same the guys have been using on the salt. I'm more than happy with these parts.

14. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Kevin. you guys workin on a Quad 4 Hot Rod?? i'm going to look at a 91 Olds tomorrow with an HO Quad 4 motor. friend from work wants it out of his yard and wants to know what it is worth. i might pick it up if the price is right.

15. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

What all did the quad 4 engines come in?

16. I think HotRodChassis is asking about the company, http://quad4rods.com, and not the GM motors.

17. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I have dealt with Quad 4 Rods for some parts for my 29 lakes modified and they are great guys. I dealt with John Eirlach, great guy and a racer. Has a 27 T roadster that he runs a B'ville.

Rex

18. ken1939

ken1939

They have expanded to the Ford 2.3 engines too. They have this thing covered pretty well. Lil offy looking. (quad 4 that is)

19. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Hey guys,
    Anyone have a 18 hole front timing cover laying around? I have a 89 Quad 4 and missing some parts. I am asking before I go junking.
    Also looking for 2.3 intake manifold to modify..
    Thanks,
    Rob

20. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

looked at that Quad 4 at my buddie's place the other day. has'nt run in about 4 years. ran just fine when he quite driving it, he just bought a new Blazer and had his Corvette so he just never had a use for it anymore. i need to go back with a good battery and make sure it'll roll over. wanna make sure the cylinders did'nt rust up... any suggestions? should i pull the plugs and hose down the cylinders with trans fluid or something before i try to turn it over??

21. Appleseed

Appleseed

These things are as close to a real Offie as most of us will ever afford. Can't wait to see it in person.

22. PICS, PICS and more PICs. This thread needs some pics. I have been thinking about the quad 4 for my 27 coupe, so I welcome any information. I have been looking for the latest magazine that dealt with bangers, but can not find it. Does anyone know what mag and issue it was? Had to be SR or R&C I think. Thanks all for your help.

23. Stan,

I have a '98 2.4l if you're interested...

24. murdercycles

murdercycles

A welder in my town, Walt Scadden, has built a belly tanker with a Quad 4 and some midget parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ray in CT

25. banjorear

banjorear

Whoah, I never saw one out of late model before. They certainly do look like a little Offy-ish.

26. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

R&C December 2008

27. Also June & July 2002 Street Rodder

28. bonesy

bonesy

THAT'S the car I was thinking of. I love it.

29. banjorear

banjorear

Not surprising anything coming out of Dave Crouse's Custom Auto is that nice. From what I understand, Jake Y. is one talented guy and has quite an eye. Obviously demonstrated with that build.

Real nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.