Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another intro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrelmurphy, Aug 11, 2004.

1. squirrelmurphy

squirrelmurphy
    from Long Beach

After lurking for a little while, I thought that I would introduce myself.
    I'm a 32 year old, second generation hot rodder. The cars that I, or my Pop and I, have done have been traditional hot rods. Not "era specific", but straight up hot rods that will stand the test of time.
    I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little, so I'll throw my $.02 in when apllicable. later...

2. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

you got any pics of what ya built so far? and welcome to have ya here.

johnny

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Long Beach? You know Jesse James?

ha ha, just ribbing ya. Welcome how bout some details and pics on those rides.

4. Welcome. Driving anything, at the moment? Pics of the past builds?

5. squirrelmurphy

squirrelmurphy
    from Long Beach

Do I know Jesse? Well not really, but it's a long story.

I have two 57 Ford station wagons, one with two doors, the other one has a couple extra. The two door is the one I'm planning on building. I have already got the motor about done, FE power. I had originally started with the 4 door, then I found the 2 door and am switching horses mid stream so to speak.

Just got a 39 Chevy coupe going that my Pop and I picked up. Hadn't been run in about 6 years. It looked like someone had tried to work on it, but walked away. It was out of time, cap wired wrong, etc. I just was driving it around today. Sorry I don't have pics, it's in DP primer right now with some shitty flames that I plan on DA'ing off real soon.

6. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

What part of the LBC?

7. squirrelmurphy

squirrelmurphy
    from Long Beach

Woodruff And Wardlow. near Marshall Jr. High.

8. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Welcome fellow stranger!

9. Sport N Woode

Sport N Woode
    from Middle TN

Hey...I saw you in Louisville! Welcome aboard!
    [image][​IMG][/image] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hey, tell us a story ........

11. squirrelmurphy

squirrelmurphy
    from Long Beach

A story, huh? Let me think of one that doesn't involve nudity or intoxication. OK, got one about a road trip.

So the old man and I are on our way back from Arcata in Nor Cal.(Oregon, basically). We had driven straight thru the day before, about 12-13 hours. Got up early the next day to pick up a 34 tudor sedan. To make this part of the story short, the car was a bitchin barn find with original paint. Problem was the old man talked our ears off, so we got a late start home.
    I was still going to school at the time, and my Dad planned on being at work the next day, so we pointed the truck south and proceded to haul ass. My dad had an 86 Ford with a built 460 in it, heads, big cam, 850 holley, everything.
    Well it was my turn to drive, and just outside of Sacremento it lost power, almost in slow motion, like running out of gas. We pulled over on some rural highway, nothing around, and got under the hood. We figured out pretty quick that it had sheared the roll pin on the distributor gear. A stainless pin at that. It's about 10pm on a Sunday.
    We started looking around for a way to get it off the road when I found that a hinge spring in the glove box was a pretty good fit. A few minutes later, we had it running. We thought that we'd get it off the road to do a real repair as soon as we got somewhere.
    We just kept on drivin'. That piece of 1934 spring steel held that gear on the shaft. Against a 400+ hp motor with a 4 speed, the timing never budged.
    We got into Long Beach around 5am. I never doubted old Henry again. That old steel got the late model truck home.

The 34 is still under constuction. It keeps getting pushed aside for other projects that come and go, but the 34 will be a keeper.

12. murph

murph

Cool damn story. Welcome to the HAMB from another stranger, and a Murphy to boot.