Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holesaw lube for cutting aluminum, wax or oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black Primer, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Black Primer

Black Primer

Looking for advice on cutting gauge holes in an aluminum panel. The panel is 3/16" thick aluminum. I'll use a drill press, but how fast would you run a 3" holesaw, and whats a good cutting lubricant? I've heard of wax being used and just a good cutting fluid. Any tips on the best way? My smaller holesaw has to last at least long enough to do 4 holes. Thanks ....

2. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

From what I was tought, very slow speed with cutting fluid.

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I concur with the above......I have used wax on my cutting bits when porting aluminum intakes and heads..............cutting holes a good cutting oil and speed is the key.....Hopefully you can put it in a drill press and clamp your work piece down...if not be careful....I have taken a ride or two drilling holes with my powerfull hand drill..........Littleman

4. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

We use lubricating wax on our hole saws at work when we cut stainless steel. I think its called stick-kut

5. Cshabang

Cshabang

try finding a product called edge lube...its wax/teflon based..works awesome..I don't use oil anymore..a good cutting fluid would work as well..and as others have said, slow speeds...

6. Black Primer

Black Primer

Yeah I got it screwed to a board and I'll clamp it down tight on the drillpress. Thanks for the tips!

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Kerosene works well when cutting aluminum, with a holesaw keep the speed down and feed it lightly and with a good quality holesaw you shouldn't have any problems.

8. This is something I learned while working in a boatyard . I was drilling a large instrument hole in a bulkhead of a new boat and the center bit broke causing the hole saw to walk across the brand new fiberglass . I had to reshoot the gelcoat and decided there had to be a better way . The solution was to drill out a piece of plywood with the hole saw and clamp it over the area to be drilled . Then start drilling . If the bit breaks , which can happen on large holes , the holesaw is contained in the plywood guide . This method would help in any situation but especially in an in-place install where you can't use a drill press

9. I went to a tech school years ago that told us to use kerosene as a lube and fast rpm speed to cut aluminum.

10. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

64 DODGE440 nailed it.

11. caseyajones

caseyajones

I have untold experience drilling aluminum-have used many cutting aids and found WD-40 to work best--keep it wet. Cheap and smells good too. Slow with the saw. Rod

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  12. jaxx

jaxx

I use A T F - handles the heat and maintains lub - it protects your trany !

13. As you can tell from the replies, either oil or wax will work, just keep the blade coated and sharp. Also make sure you use ear protection with aluminum. It is why I keep saying. "huh" a lot to my wife.

14. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

At work we use talow, which is just "pig fat" for drilling, cutting and grinding on aluminium. Weird i know but it really works a treat. Not sure were they get it from though it just comes in an alfoil tub with no name on it.

15. 021k26rr

021k26rr
    from TN

use a bar of soap.It sounds loopy,but it works.I cut 5in holes in .750 aluminum plate and have had the same saw for a long time.

Ben

16. I've used some of the commercial wax lubricant products, and have never really been happy with them for machining or drilling. It seems like most of it always ends up where you don't want it and very little makes it where you do want it. One thing I do like the wax products for is cutting metal with a circular saw.

Holesaws, I like cutting oil or WD-40 as mentioned before.

17. 61bone

61bone

Ijust use plain old lard at about half the rpm for steel. Clear the saw often, don't let the cuttings build up.

18. hogbldr1

hogbldr1
    from ohio

I have been a machinist for 35+ years and Caseyjones hit it on the head,WD40 is the best cutting fluid ever for alluminum

19. 3Mike6

3Mike6

WD40 works great, keeps the Al from sticking to the holesaw, also works great when chopsawing, drilling, etc, to keep- the Al from sticking and balling up.

20. also use WD -40 cheap easy spray it

21. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Grab some windex and try it before the wd-40, spray a nice amount and see how it works, then wipe it off and try the wd-40. Report your findings please.

22. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks for the tip...I will give that a try next time !!..............Littleman

23. have used windex on plastic and acrylic, and so on,,,,,,, gonna try it on alum...

24. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

I cut, bang, and weld aluminum all day long and use Do-All Wax for drilling and WD-40 for cutting. We run Do-All oil through our router when cutting panels

Im going to try the Windex. sounds interesting

25. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

What a great idea!

26. Don't want to contradict anyone but, plain old water cools and cleans the saw. Then there is no residue to clean if you happen to want to weld around the hole!! Have done this many times in the last 37yrs.

27. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

My back yard mechanics trick drilling aluminum with a hole saw is a water/dishwashing detergent mixture. Water cools, cleans the blade and work, the detergent mixture provides the lube. Mixture should be soapy to the touch but not sticky, cleans right up. Use the old detergent bottle for applicator.

28. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

I have found ATF fluid to be one of the best cutting oils and to drill at a slow speed.

29. Crisco.........................

30. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Always used WD-40..but I'll try the Windex. I have used Windex on plastic..and Lexan..