Register now to get rid of these ads!

HO-HO-HO December monthly BANGER meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Hey Corn Coupe, Is that one of Charlie Yapp's new intakes?

2. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Yep certainly is, I've had it some time and used a pair of NOS tilitsons.

I'd be interested is seeing any updrafts others are using. I've seen a side by side variation with twin B carbs (Zeniths 3's?), but not much else.

3. shock

shock

Me too.

4. I would like to find one for dual Winfield "B" up drafts as I seem to have a few of those.

5. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Sometimes you can find vintage adapters to go from the two bolt to a Winfield 4 bolt. Also seems relatively easy to make. See Roof manifold...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

My Miller manifold which mounts the carbs at an angle outwards. Very interesting. Makes it a little difficult to run linkages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anybody have any info on this manifold? advertisements?

7. Here is a link for Aries, if you are interested in the performance range of "A" engines with the addition of various modifications go to the site and scroll down the right side until you come to dyno tests. It makes for very interesting reading and will answer some questions as to various combinations of after market equipment. http://www.amuffler.com/index.htm

The information has been around for quite a while but some may gain useful information

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

just looking for some input here
    looks like i need a new head-intake & exhaust gasket

i was digging my car out today to take to a friends to store for the winter, it wouldnt start, a little sputter every onece in a while.... then i noticed gas leaking between the intake and exhaust flange (its bolted to the outside of the exhaust)
    i tried to just tighten it....then i really looked....there was silicone sealer hanging out!!!!!
    i didnt ever do anything to this motor, it was in the car when i got it
    so i pulled the intake and exhaust....well....the orange silicone was the only gasket between the intake and the exhaust flange, and the exhaust "stock?" gasket is pretty much shot.....
    i noticed a small spot of antifreeze i believe in the ports also... so hopefully the head gasket has a small leak and its not worse like a cracked block.....

just wondering what everyone was running for gaskets?
    its a high compression cyclone aluminum flathead...so im thinking i might need something better then a stock A gasket?

then i guess i can run a stock A gasket between the header and the block...but i need 2 smaller gaskets for the intake to exhaust joint

any help is appreciated
    thanks
    Zach

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I shift at around 3K on the strip as the power is through by then. Currently using a SU1R and have run 17.3 @ 77mph with a single 97. Once the IDA is sorted, I'll get it dyno'd and get a power band reading.

10. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Who's was this,Crazy?

11. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Does anyone have a link or dimensions for chopping / lightening of the banger flywheel I dont know if I sould chop the A flywheel or go the sidey flywheel whats the differance in the weight of the sidey to a chopped A flywheel I am only running a single 97 and 7:1 winfield and nothing special in the cam (at the moment).

12. Try this site, full of info.

Model A & B Ford Flywheels

13. I get a small spot of water in the inlet port when it sits. Its always around a small imperfection in the port so I think it weeps through there. Doesn't effect anything.
    I've since had the block ceramic sealed, but i can't remember if it still weeps water? :confused:

Head gasket wise just go for a standard Fel-Pro one. Make sure it is Fel-Pro, it will have it stamped in the gasket.
    Can you believe there are cheap copies out there!:eek:

Copper ones, either solid or wrapped are a pain in the arse and I avoid them.

With manifold gaskets, I run good quality copper clad between the block and header. These are nice and fat so they seal good if the header is slightly warped. Again go for quality, the cheap ones wont even fit over the studs in the block!
    For the inlet manifold to header I cut down a full size gasket. I use the thin hard backed one for this because it is stronger than the copper clad version and they don't fall apart after a few removals of the manifold.

14. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey call me crazy without the dizzy tho
    Ken

15. Wildfire

Wildfire

Here's my banger, finally:

Attached Files:

16. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

Wak53 Flywheel weight reduction dimensionals compilments of Les Andrews. I am still trying to decide myself type of flywheel configuration V8 style or modified A. There was an item in F.A.S.T for a gear starter by Five Star Parts located in good old sunny Corona CA. Gear starter may or may not would work on a V8 style Flywheel. Rick Evans 951 736-3141.

17. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

second time the attahment was lost, one more time

Attached Files:

18. RussTee

RussTee

hi zach it is important even with an accessory head or manifold to run the small rings into the manifold as well as a gasket a bit of carefull fitting here makes a bigdifference to the preformance

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I don't know, I didn't see it until it was posted here. I had concidered a side drive dist. too.

20. I asked the seller what the reserve was on that Ardun head set up, he said 4,000.00

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Steve Serr's head is cheaper and ready to run!!!
    >

22. So I just bought this today. I have a stock rolling chassis and the engine/tranny out of my coupe, so plans are to throw together a "jalopy" to drive around this summer while I really figure out a plan for this nice ol roadster. I need some parts to make it work, but should be an easier project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Looks like a clean start to a fun build.

24. davesville

davesville

well done chris i am envious

25. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks Clark,
    it appears that it might just be what your saying....i didnt pull the head
    i think it may even be seaping out the side a tiny bit and had been laying on the top of the header when i pulled it...then ran down?
    in any case i decided to just make do with it how it is in order to get it into storage for the winter
    so i used a stock A gasket on the header, and then just made 2 gaskets for the intake and coated them with a thin layer of sealer

fired right up!
    funny thing was....it ran like a top.... i bet that intake has been leaking for a while as its been hard starting and possibly causing some performance issues...
    i had been running it REAL hard a few times toward the end of summer...dont know if that makes much difference or if its just the extra cld weather its been sitting in...
    in any case...its tucked away for winter and i'll redo all the gaskets in spring and check over the whole motor a bit

thanks alot
    Zach

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

How that can be called an Ardun head I don't know. It is nothing like an Ardun head. I have contacted Bill Hoddinott who has written many Ardun papers ans addressed SEA on Ardun history to contasct the family and co-workers of Arkus Duntov to see if anything can be done.

27. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

aaaghhh I hate you! :mad: some guys got all the luck!

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I agree. Arkus Duntov would be embarased if he ever saw this head.
    Belive me:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  29. Hey, I know nothing about them, other than it says "ARDUN" on the valve cover.

30. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Well I have just splashed out on the new
    2 x 16 x 6
    2 x 16 x 7.50

Firestone tires.

I fell over when I purchased them from North Hants Tires the UK reseller

£635 inc delivery

Their prices are going up on the 5th of Jan... 35%

Ouch all round.

I will post some pics of the pickup when they are powder coated and on....

Great shame about the NSRA forum.

The Admin and Mods have not answered my PM's and I now know why I am not an NSRA member anymore - at this point I hope the forum dies....