Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edsel on the move

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purple, Dec 5, 2008.

1. purple

purple

We got the pink one moved on monday. Still have to get the green one out to the trees. I had to take this pic. I drove my friend's 56 Ford 1/2t small window longbed. He later came down in his 66 Volvo 122. Took us a long time to get the Edsel balanced and tied down correctly because it is as long as the trailer. It was dark when we got back to the green one, but still put the wheels on it so it could be ready to move next monday.

Attached Files:

2. purple

purple

This wheel looks so cool. Its the same friends spare to his 51 Jaguar XK120. Yep, 5 on 5 too.

The green one sans wheels.

Attached Files:

3. Squablow

Squablow

Cool pulling truck, makes for a good picture. I wonder how the paint would look on the green one if you just washed it and buffed it all out. It doesn't look that bad.

4. MissPrint

MissPrint

I love these two 58's sooo much. . .what are your plans for both?

Are you gonna use one as a parts car for the other?
    OR will you restore them both so ya have "his-n-hers" Edsels?
    OR are you gonna restore both of'em so the twins have'em when they grow up?

OR, are you gonna send one of them to me so I can take care of it? :D

I would love to have a 58, a 59, and a 60. . .

5. purple

purple

long plan is do both and leave them to the twins. The paint is worn on both, but the remaining paint might be able to shine. She wants hers basically stock. After hers is done then maybe a mild Bellflower lowrider for my hardtop.

6. purple

purple

Forgot to mention, while we were on the freeway I drove the Volvo. We got to a big hill on the freeway and he punched it. Flew past this newer Dodge truck towing a Ford truck on a dolly. Awesome seeing an old 1/2 ton truck towing 5k total weight accelerate up a hill. Has a fresh 351 Windsor.

7. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I say drive 'em with their hard-earned 50 year old patina:

My current one:

[​IMG]

My next one:

[​IMG]

[URL="http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=463324&d=1215477426[/IMG][/URL]

8. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

We're car geeks so we're familiar with them, but the general public tends to freak when they see an Edsel.

"Is that REALLY an Edsel?"
    "What kind of car is that?" "An Edsel." "No it's not"
    "I've heard of Edsels but didn't think they actually made any"

I just had my 59 Villager at the Scottsdale Goodguys show.
    Of probably 2,500 cars there (Kirk!?), it was the only Edsel I saw and got tons of attention. I almost felt bad with all the people taking pictures and standing around it while nice cars nearby were completely ignored. I guess because it's real.

A younger guy was having his picture taken by my car. They really hung around and took lots of pictures. Finally, the guy asked if it was mine.

He introduced himself and said his middle name was Edsel.
    He said his great grandfather was Henry Ford's body guard and lived in a guest house on the Ford estate. He said they have all kinds of HF stuff and gifts from the Ford family.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  9. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Right on, Eric, '11 and a half tires later...'. I remember that Effie from when I lived in Redding, he was part of the crew @ Riverfront Playhouse, nice truck. What a cool project for you and the boys.

10. purple

purple

What an exciting day today was. Mostly off topic but worth it.

Got the green one home today. Went faster knowing how to chain it down correctly. We are keepin them at the wife's mom's and grandma's. I started my day visiting my high school friend, she has a tattoo parlor here. I guess I am now in the planning stages to get my first tat. Wasn't intended going in. My wife finishes nursing school next week and I had told her that when she becomes a nurse I will get a Sailor Jerry style red headed nurse but with purple hardlines.

So one unintentional tat ball rolling, and the second car home, what else could my day hold?

How about making others happy. My longtime friend called me earlier because she stayed home sick. Later she called because her landlord found out about her dog and had to get rid of him. It was her sisters, she past away 1 1/2 years ago from cancer and left the dog with a trust fund. Just so happens the same grandma we have our Edsels at is handicapped and a hugh dog lover. She had a series of strokes 13 years ago leaving her right side paralized and can barely talk. We brought this little guy over and it made here year. She lost grandpa this year and really needs the love. Her tears of joy really made the world seem right.

Oh and grandma likes the cars too, she had done some upolstery on the family cars in her heyday.

11. Squablow

Squablow

That's a nice story. And it's always best to be on the good side of whoever is letting you store cars at their place. Glad that worked out so well.

12. Dangler

Dangler
    from CHICO, CA

Congrats on the save of the two Edsels!!! ;)

13. prime mover

prime mover

I like the aqua one, never really noticed the 4 dr hardtop has such cool lines.

14. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Love the Edsels...! I've had my '59 Villager 6 passenger wagon for about 8 yrs. Was a complete stocker when I got it. Only 1268 made like it in '59. 332 had frozen and cracked before I got it. Now has 4-wheel disks and a fresh 460/C6. Still in the works. Looked like this before I took it apart.

Later,
    Kevin

Attached Files:

15. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Wow, great story within story, duude. Purple Gets Inked- Details At Eleven.

16. lounissarte

lounissarte

good luck with your 2 Edsel

17. Edsel Steve

Edsel Steve
    from So.Cal.

I say jus gettum on the road...its good to see um out there !
    :D