Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rhode Island junk yard getting crushed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vorhese, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Abomination

Abomination

Holy explicative!!!!!! (trust me, I'm not at a shortage here, just insert your own - I inserted every one I know)

That's a goddamned ELDORADO!!!!!!

THAT kind of shit straight-up makes Baby Jesus cry, right there. That statue in church, where he's holdin' the ball and scepter, wearing the funny hat, with the single tear? That's because that guy's crushing this Cadillac. No shit. :( :( :(

If somebody goes out there, and the power trunk pulldown or bucket seats, or like ALL the trim from this car happens to fall into your sack and you walk out, we need to talk. We also need to talk if the AC controls & vents, interior, Cruise Control and/or right-side mirror falls into that same sack... or the 3x2 off that 390. I have twins, so I have an extra child. You like kids? I'll trade you one...

I also saw some Mopar goodness out there that says, "Hey, there's a Hemi under this hood... take a peek," and, "Hey, there's a 318 Poly dual quad here in an old Fury - you know, the one you'd chew your own arm off to get, if someone chained you in a room a few inches away from reaching it?"

~Jason

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. Jimv

Jimv

If your looking for a mustang go to Posseys in wrentham, another super dickhead but has acres of mustangs.
    Its right near the outlet stores
    jimv

3. I think $1000 for a real Boss, Mach 1, Challenger or Cuda is just a little unrealistic unless it's broken in two or in the case of the latter two, absolute bottom of the barrel slant-six cars.

A place like this, you bring money, you pay the guy's price, and you get it the hell out of there. If you can't afford the car or can't find one you want (or can't find the one rust free car for $500 that doesn't exist) buy some hubcaps or something. Make sure the guy gets some money for his time to put up with dealing with you.

I've dealt with a bunch of them and I know exactly why these guys get that way. After 40 or 50 years of bullshit from people who expect mint solid cars for scrap prices, or come in and talk for hours and not buy a damned thing, or walk through and leave hoods and doors open all over and maybe break things or steal stuff.... well, you decide your time to sell someone a car is worth X dollars, and if people don't want to pay that they can fuck off because the scrap man may pay me less per car, but he'll buy as many as I want to sell him, could care less if they're nice, or in pieces, doesn't whine about this piece of trim or that window being missing, and I don't have to lift a finger except to take his money.

I've seen two or three places like this get crushed out already. The only way to get the cars for scrap money, is to be the scrap man, and buy in volume - 100 or 1000 at a time. Junkyards aren't like buying at Wal-mart, where they'll hold your hand and tell you to have a nice day even if you buy a 50-cent pen. In scrap, cash is king, and the more of it you wave, the better customer you become, the easier it is to deal with the seller.

Last week, scrap was around $75 a ton. Not like June, but that's still $150 or so a car, which ain't bad if you sell 1000 of them at once.

4. wolfie427.com

wolfie427.com

This is "Juniors" and I have been there and yes the owner is lets just say "a little off"...most cars are so buried {I got in a Falcon and my elbow touched the ground out of the drivers window!!or out in the wilderness you would need a chopper to AIRLIFT them out!!He is a bit tough about pricing although I have bought stuff there.There are many mini cars all over and most intact..unique little foriegn jobs.alot of good sheetmetal here and there....I would not go venture there unannounced.He is not a bad fellow depends on the phase of the moon? A shame really...bring water with you you will be there a long time looking.....W427

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  5. People do the same thing with airports. They move right next to one and then bitch because there's an airport there and then spend the rest of their life trying to get it closed down!

6. And somebody needs to snatch a bunch of those bumper jacks. I'll bet there's a thousand of 'em layin' around.

7. 49coupe

49coupe

" People here are amazing. They'll buy a house next to a Farm, because they get it for a good price (who wants to live next to a stinky farm?). Then, they complain about the stink, and pressure the town to pressure the farmer about the stink.... more pressure.... more pressure..... Then one day the farm is gone.

Truly amazing to me. :confused:"

It actually makes very good business sense. If you've got friends in city council, you can make a lot of money turning farm land into residential or commercial land. About an hour north of me (Toronto, ON) we used to have a conservation area with a good gun/shooting range. The park actually modernized the facility in recent years. After a few weathly, well connected people bought land around the range, cheap of course, they pursuaded city council to close the range, pocketing handsomely. I'm sure the entire discussion was around safety....:mad: You never know, a stray bullet could hit their BMW.

Now back on topic. If RI cars are anything like Eastern Canadian cars, they look good until you go up to them and an put your finger through the sheet metal. We don't just get surface rust. It rots from the inside out. I'm sure there are usuable pieces, but most of the cars wouldn't be worth fixing anymore. Especially at current prices.

8. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

9. flash

flash

Thanks a lot Jared. Now I gotta find a new place to bury the bodies.

10. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

11. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Tony. Anthony. Don't worry, We got A new place to take out the laundry. jared

12. Looking at the pics, it looks like a place behind a body shop in NJ a friend took me to. I believe all the cars there were crushed.....

13. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

So has anyone been down there yet? any more pics?

14. Jimv

Jimv

Bob & jay went down there over the weekend but they didn't see anyone around so they split.
    Said they heard bajo playin!!lol
    JimV

15. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

Jim where they near the river ? LOL

16. flash

flash

come on j-rod, we all knew that if there was anything valuable in there...you got to it already! spill the beans...

17. MercManMario

MercManMario

Lets all get our mesh trucker hats on, hop in my diesel dually, kick in the 4L and start pullin'! I'd be up for a trip down there if there are any 49-51 mercs down there. Only problem i see with these cars is that most of them are up to their door handles in dirt, so you can safely assume they are rotton anywhere they are in contact with dirt for 30+ years. Just my $0.02.

18. hemicoupe32

hemicoupe32

That is Jr's junk yard. I'm from RI. Jr is a ornery old coot. But that yard is full of all car.s. For you Mopar guy's you might want to call Harry Hall. Hall's junk yard in RI. He has 100's of 60's and 70's A and B bodies.

19. hemicoupe32

hemicoupe32

You may want to contact Gary Inkel, i'm not sure how you spell his name. He's got a big yard in New Hampshire. Deals in Mopar only. Over 600 cars at the yard. He travels across the country buying cars and parts. Can be a bit pricy but he has the parts. It's Inkel's auto. Maybe a search on Google will find him.

20. te27whit

te27whit
    from new york

Its wierd but yea man this stuff is all over around all kinds of corners I found a spot like this when I was nailin a brides maid back east in stuyvesant NY but nothing there older then 64 that i could see hudsons packards mercs and cads but all rusted to shit no one knew who owned the land and of coarse i was in a tux and climbing fences. Over here in the west I found a guy that has acres of edsels similar situation old coot wont sell not one part but will sell the whole thing for a million smackers he even has a garage of nos parts all edsel stuff crazy but love driven past.

The Stuyvesant NY JY is Dan Greiners.I was there 3 months ago about 1500 cars.
    I will try to post pics.

Three other good NY JY's are Reds in Woodstock NY 2000 cars.Sold a Dusenberg to Jay Leno 8 years ago.Lots of cadillacs.

Eric Farrs in Watertown NY 8000 cars nothing newer than 1985 lots of 30-50.Goldmine!

Bill Gaba Brothers in middle grove NY near Saratoga Springs 4000 cars.

And there all tough old buggers
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

21. te27whit

te27whit
    from new york

22. astonman

astonman

I went today with a buddy and my dad and it was a bit overwhelming. There is so much stuff there that you could be there for days and not see everything. Jr. was nice to us and pretty acomidating. We got there at 11:30 and he was allready half in the bag so i think that helped. He's pissed that his place has made it on the internet so DONT tell him thats how you found out about him if you go. As long as your not a loud mouth/ jerk you should do fine with him.

We were taken in to look at two challengers that he had and a couple of mustangs and after spending 2 hours there we barly glimpsed at about a 1/4 of what he has. About 85% of what he has is shot to hell but there are some real gems in there that could be saved. I didnt get any pics yet but Im going to go back and try and find some more stuff.Some stuff that we saw that looked salvidgeableish (depends on interst, commitment and skill) includes:

Hand full of 50'-60's lincolns, continentals, the BIG stuff
    lots of plymouth furys
    1968 firebird 400 convertable with motor and drivetrain
    bunch of old willys jeeps
    2 69' Bronco's
    3 International Scouts
    1 International Travelall
    cab,bed and most of front of a 59 ford ranchero that was in very restorable condition
    bunch of 66-70 mustangs
    1 complete corvair
    8ish ford torino's and gran Torino's
    32 ford pickup cab
    3ish AMC american's
    67 chevelle ss
    I think a 72 ford Anglia in left hand drive
    2 MG migets
    1 MG b
    ALOT more.........

Im not as good with the years and models on the pre 60 stuff but there was alot of it and some of it looked decent. keep in mind we only saw about 1/4 of what he has and Im going back as soon as I can to get a few things that Im keeping close to my chest that I saw and want.

If you go, be specific on what your looking for, Bring a trailor ( or three...) and dont be a jerk and it should be a good experience.

Rock on

23. Jimv

Jimv

astonman, 2 buddies of mine went down Thrusday & he was nasty as shit & wouldn't let them in!!
    Like you said 85% of the stuff there is shit(other 15% ain't great) Its not worth the hassle, in other words "fuck him"
    Guy is even nasty to people at swap meets when hes walking around( nothing to do with the yard).
    So with thta in mind i just won't go down there.
    JimV

24. Abomination

Abomination

But the '60 Eldorado, man! Did you see it there?

~Jason

25. astonman

astonman

"But the '60 Eldorado, man! Did you see it there?"

Like I said we only got to see about a 1/4 of what he has back there. We are going to go back soon and see if we can get a better view of the stuff thats there. Ill keep my eyes open and see if i can get some pics for you.

26. Abomination

Abomination

That car is seriously worth some big bucks... you could flip it (as in "re-sell") easy if you could get it out of there...

~Jason

27. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I've been tring to get in there for twenty years now, I went last wensday and got turn away again. maybe it's because I'm angry. lol Jared //ONE DAY I WILL GET IN!!

28. arkracing

arkracing

OK - Lots of speculation about this guy and his yard. My shop is less than 10 miles from the yard and I have purchased several things from him. I am very good friends with someone who actually grew up with the owner and went to school with him.

There was a rumor going around about a year ago that the yard was being sold and crushed out - it's not, Junior is up there everyday of the week working.

Either he likes you or he doesn't, if he doesn't - you will never be able to buy anything from him. If you tell him you are looking for something in particular, be sure that is what you are really doing and not snooping around.

He DOES NOT need the money so he doesn't care about the rotting cars or your money. There are not many cars in there that are "Restorable", but he does have some rare and awesome stuff.

The road to get in is about 1 mile and almost impassable without a 4x4. You can even imagine how large the place is - you could get lost in there and they might have to send a search and rescue team after you.

He is actually a nice guy. He did loose an eye to a very unfortunate accident with a bumperjack that happened at the yard, years ago.

29. gumbydammit

gumbydammit

Yep, that's Junior's yard. I remember the 65 or 66 fastback on top of the van. My dad and I went there many moons ago looking for a windsheild for his 55 Ford. He wanted a G note for one! I always said he'd die with it all just rotting there and it'll be crushed or sold for pennies on the dollar. I remember he had a 68 Shelby mustang sitting there complete rotting into the ground. It's a shame for sure.

Greasy joe's was a good yard.

Anyone remember Finn's? They used to have an annual "grab-a-thon". Pay $15 and whatever you could carry accross a 10 foot wide "finish line" you kept. I carried a front bench seat, rear seat, door panels, dash pad, and cardboard headliner for my 70 Dart in one shot. ( disclaimer: this was when I was 17, lifted weights everyday, and didn't know any better )

We watched a guy dismantle a 400 pontiac. He hung the pistons and rods from his belt, and carried the block and crank accross the line!

I miss RI.

30. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

i remember finns....i bought a lot of parts there....but i still don't miss RI...its wreakin cold there now..i liked walking around the car cruise in tonight with my t-shirt on...lol dave