Register now to get rid of these ads!

Proportions: Don't beat me to bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedsterinc, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Finishing up with all fab work and getting ready for body paint. How do the proportions look? and would you add the fenders and running boards? :confused:

Decided on Washington blue with wheatstraw wheels.

Attached Files:

2. Squablow

Squablow

I think it would look great with fenders and running boards. I'd do the Washington blue on the cab, box and hood, and make the fenders and aprons black.

Without fenders, the car looks too tall, both in the roof and the suspension. But with fenders I think it'd really pull off the look. I like the cab with the quarter windows, very unique.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like fenders.

4. Fenders and running boards, definitely!

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree that a truck sitting that high and with a roof that tall might look better with fenders.

6. a go witha pair of early A's on the front ant 27 T's out back

7. Yeah, I agree with Squablow. Black fenders would look good against a dark blue body. It looks a little high in the air to go fenderless.

Would it be possible to lower the grill just a little? Maybe it's the pictures, but it looks like if the grill was about 1/2" lower, the slope of the hood would match the slope of the side window opening and the slope of the bed rails better. No big deal if you're too far along to change it though.

The curved back wall of the cab is pretty interesting. It kind of reminds me of the back of a really early car or the back of a stage coach.

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I don't think its a Question of Fenders or Not... Either way would look Good to me.

But i would be more concerned with the BUMP in the roof !!

Chop the top a couple inches & remove the Bump and it will make a World of difference.

I also think the Tilt Hood is a bit much, Lower the grill about an inch so its in line with the Cowl top & lose the hood all together or use some Early Chevrolet Hood sides or other make with the small functional "DOORS".

9. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

Needs fenders for sure.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Personally....lower the back, then install taller rear tires to bring it back up...
    And a filler panel between the bed and cab. The 1/4 window could be wider.....
    I vote no fenders.....
    The PROPORTIONS themselves, with the tall roof, long bed and nose, and the rake itself....look good.

Even as it is.....it's a really cool truck. Nice job on it!

11. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

Fenders for sure and also water your lawn

12. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

it was said but drop the grille .5-1" hell maybe more. the hood side looks like its running uphill tot he front of the truck.

The bed.....take out the front panel and move the whole thing up closer to the cab. Now make a new front panel for the bed that contours the back of the cab.

Roof, do whatever it takes to flattop that sucker.

I think with those fixes and the bigger rear tire you could get away without fenders or running boards.

13. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Looks can be deceiving. The top is chopped 5 inches. The height of the truck is 60". The grill shell is stock height for a 26-27 T although I think a little lower would look better. The body length is the same as a 26-27 RPU. If the top is any lower only a midget (little person) could drive it. Started life as a 4dr Once the original type fabric is on the top the bump won't be noticable.

I wish the sod would stay green all year

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  14. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

I Dig it - fenders or not!
    Agree with DeSoto about the 'bump' in the roof though - will that be covered/disguised when the top goes on (assuming it 's a stock style fabric deal)?
    The hood looks like the top runs parallel with the door, but the bottom edge runs uphill - optical illusion due to the angle? Either way it won't be obvious if you're running hood sides.
    A good looking T truck - congrats
    CraigR

15. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

leave it hotrod.............looks EXELLENT

put your time and effort [ money] into the engine

have fun. fenders are for guys on geritol

16. John,

is that a high or low T radiator shell? I agree on lowering the nose a little, adding the fenders/running boards, and playing around with a smaller diameter wheel up front. The rest is very tastefully done.

Oh, Rick Thompson- that's what ALL the lawns in GA look like in winter:D!

17. DV8 has a set of fenders for it... PM him.

18. Weasel

Weasel

Yep a little lower in the rear, fenders and maybe bob the bed 6" ....my 0.02

19. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Its the high grill shell and rad I could go the low route as the rad is a dummy anyways.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hell, leave it alone and drive it...

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man i dig it and that flip forward front end is different cool stuff

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No fenders, plz. Gary

23. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

It may look like an extended cab but its not. By using the 4dr front doors they are so short compared to the Tudor doors. When you sit in it you look out the rear window to see out the side or you have to lean forward to see out the door window. I will probally put the fenders on tomorrow and see how it looks. I am thinking of going with a set of the 16x8 wires along with 800 or 1000 16 tires if I go fenderless.

24. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

fenders, I rarely see a fenderless truck that looks good, just the way the box and rear wheels flow , it never looks quite right.

25. I'd also go for the fenders,aprons and boards,,but I'd use the "T" fenders all the way around.

26. ironhunter

ironhunter

So, you lettin these guys talk you into keeping my fenders??

27. ironhunter

ironhunter

I see why I got the rusty ones now :)

Attached Files:

28. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I agree with DESOTO 's reply. The bump in the roof just behind the top of the door goes flat from a slope. Maybe you can even it up a little for the side profile. Now is the time to do it before ya finish it off. It is always a good idea to pull you car out side and stand way ,way back to see what you have created.Some times little adjustments need to be done for the car to look proportioned. Did you get the idea for the angle cut side window from Boyd's "T "that was on tv ? I personally don't care for Boyds angle cut window but hay stuff like that is what hot rods are all about.Not bellybutton cars ,just fun hot rods built the way the owner wants to! I agree with those guys Fenders YES! Yours is going to be a cool rod.

29. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Thats some funny sheit!:D See ya in a week or two. When are you going to get started back on the T?

30. budd

budd

dont be upset but heres a few changes, roof line, rear side window, shorten the box, lowered.

Attached Files: