Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has the HAMB changed your thinking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Dec 7, 2008.

1. iracer

iracer

The HAMB has helped me rekindle the passion I have had for cars since I was 12 years old. By the time I was 20 I was so burned out of the "Pro Street" Car Craze and the $50,000 car builds that I sold me Road Runner and focused on college and career. 20 years later a friend introduces me to the HAMB and how you can build a cool car in your garage with friends and family. I am hooked again and loving every minute of it.

2. Yes... In a round-about way.

Now I believe the best way to perform a vaginal rejuvenation is with plastic cutlery.

JOE:cool:

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I find the HAMB an interesting place to "people watch" and exchange information. Has it changed my way of thinking? In a word, no. Growing up in the car culture world of Southern California in the fifties, there was no such thing as "traditional" to my way of thinking. When we finished (or not) one car, we sold or traded it and moved on to the next one trying to make it better looking, faster or nicer. I'm luckier than most having made a good living in the hot rod aftermarket accessory industry. I have a pet peeve about the HAMB: the twenty somethings that post here and consider themselves the arbitrator of what was traditional in the late fifties and early sixties.

I really enjoy the HAMB posters that contribute to the history of the hot rod industry and their knowledge of the pioneers of the business.

4. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

It has reinforced my belief system. It has been a Godsend, I have been depressed for along time, Denise invited me here and I really love her for it. We are all a bunch of folks who love our cars regardless of our ages, we get greasy and dusty, hack up paint overspray for the love of keeping these cars alive. Thats tradition, and I am so glad that it isn't dead. As long as the H.A.M.B exists, it wont be either. We not only help each other with our cars, but in maintaining our beliefs toward them. Kerouac, the road, the knowing what freedom to wander feels like if only for a day. Like the Johnny Cash/ Rodney Crowell song "I Walk the Line Revisted" A '49 Ford on a 2-rut road, a chill and dash lights and Johnny Cash on the radio. It could be 1956 or 2016, its the same.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BujI_bo47po&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BujI_bo47po&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  5. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Same here. I was doing my thing and fading away from even spectating at shows and no one could fugure out why I won't join their club. "Smoothie" and "hi tech" rods started turning me off in the late 80's. Pastels and billet made me think I was alone in the world. I lurked for a few years too and enjoyed realizing I'm not alone.

HAMB did not change me, it helped others understand where I am.

6. This place made me realize why I hated billet cheque book hotrods......It also explained why as a kid I couldn,t leave anything alone. Always had to add a personal touch.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

NO, just reinforced what was slowly dying in my soul. After graduation in 1962 and taking my '29 V8 coupe with me off to college I found myself left behind as far as what I liked in cars. Got sucked up in Vettes, muscle cars, drag racing, and oval track. Then along came STREET RODDING and the reimmergence of old cars modified to go fast and look good. I was in heaven once again..............until............it became chic to have a Lexus in '32 clothing. Not for me..........never was........never will be. I was beginning to think the 2 32's I had (the 2dr was actually on the street and putting a smile on my face for the first time in years) would be the object of family infighting when I passd away. Not so much as to who would get them but who would get the money when the scrap yard came and picked them up. Then Hatch and Fuelpump told me about the HAMB. Euphoria!!! I'm home again.

Frank

9. :rolleyes:
    I agree with ya Dennis,
    I v'e watched this post and you have expressed about how I feel. I could only add that I find it no different than other groups. They all have both good and knowledgable people and also intolerant know it alls!!

10. autobilly

autobilly

The HAMB hasn't changed my thinking, but it has enlarged my world! The people and information that I wouldn't have otherwise had access to, let alone the 'entertainment value', is enormous.
    The HAMB has improved my thinking!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  11. DogTownKustoms

DogTownKustoms

I've lost my love of muscle cars and I'm getting much more into customs and hot rods, next build will be one for sure. It's also given me some hope that old tin will never truly fade away despite the economy and gas prices. I'm only 17 so it's given me a really good support system and it's a great place to pitch ideas and meet people who are truly passionate about building cars.

12. fiki

fiki

I can say it did change...in the way that I learned alot more about things concerning hot rods. I was lurking for a long time untill I was certain I learned something and know something so I can post here. :D

13. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

made me realize i have been riding past the tube everytime I saddle up. how many chainer hotrodders are out there
    made me appretiate my horse more
    off my meds

Attached Files:

14. Flop

Flop

the hamb has made me put 2 years of metal work and counting into my pontiac instead of assfucking it together.

15. Like others have said,,,I was still building cars that were not built with billet or painted easter egg colors,,,,just simple style cars that could have been built years ago,,,

After I was introduced to the Hamb,,I realized there were more people that like the same type of cars and trucks. HRP

16. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I thought i knew a lot about hot roding. The hamb has showen me i don't. I started the massachusetts hamb to talk about local hot rodding. The gd kids know more history then me and i lived it.

17. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Yes, I hate everyone now.

18. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

yea i think i hate you to

19. The social groups have put me in touch with other like minded folks around the Pacific North West. As been said before,it more than confirmed what I thought about hotrods and customs. Billet smoothies are boreing and have had all the charactor "smoothed" off them leaving no SOUL, and that pastel colors are for old ladies spring dresses. Give me candy oriental purple, flat black and monster flake! FOREVER!

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not changed, really - reinforced ... until 4 years ago, I didn't think anyone else still did what we do. Almost overwhelmed by the amount of folks here that spent years driving and putting away stuff that no one else wanted. So thankful for the many historic photos provided by the old timers & the links to other sites - hundreds of them.
    During the '70s & '80s we put up with the dirty looks & remarks we got when we drove lowered, primer spotted '50 Buick Sedanettes or '52 Chev Fleetlines to rod runs & had the newest car there. Remember the late '60s when we had the only lowered car in town ?
    Used to be you could tell what part of the US a car came from just by a quick glance - now it could be built anywhere in the world.
    Taste & common sense seem to take a back seat on a good percentage of the things we see on here, replaced by as many different pieces of flim-flam & gee-gaw you can bolt or weld on. Rust, flamethrowers, street driven exhaust systems consisting of 8 pieces of pipe stuck straight out the side, 4' floor shifts on automatics - not "traditional" by any stretch of the imagination, but now accepted by some as the way it really was. Fortunately, these are offset by the outstanding rods & customs built by men & women, young & old, well to do or dirt poor that realize less is more & change for the sake of a change is not the way to go ...
    I want thank everyone from Ryan on down the line for what we have here - I don't know what I'd do without it !

21. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

No, but somehow I'm better looking and taller.
    God Bless the HAMB!

22. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I had retired from road racing in 2004 was was getting into active part of street rodding ( my wife have been life time member of MSRA for 15 or more years ) when I stumbled onto the HAMB page in 2005.
    This page has defined my direction of my hobby, and encouraged me to develope my metal working skills ( along with a lot of help from the Metalmeet board and local metal meets )
    I hopefully will have my 54 done this year, and start on my Falcon project an 1962 FALCON - SSS. ( Social Security Special )

thanks Ryan and modertors for making this great board a place to call home

jim h

23. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

YES! My next build is going to be a bit more conservative. Over the top gets old quick.

24. motorbreath53

motorbreath53
    from SoCal

Its has indeed....

Before... I liked the look of the hot rods and customs built back in the 50's and 60's...

now, I still like the look of the hot rods and customs built back in the early days of the hobby, and I fuckin hate the word "traditional."

The word "traditional" has caused almost as much hell on this website as the word "religion" has caused in world history.

25. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Thanks Autobilly, for coming up with the words that I couldn't. I read this entire thread, understand all of the points of view. I mostly agree with everyone, or at least understand where they are coming from. Your post is well written. I have to repeat,..The HAMB has improved my thinking,.. more than I ever thought possible ! As I work on my cars I will be more careful, pay even more attention to details than I have in the past. Really enjoy building the cars, so much more now. The quality of my work has allready improved ! The HAMB has taken this insanity to a higher level. Thanks All, Lucky667!

26. I couldn't have said it any better, "what HE said". Mike

27. blktie

blktie

You bet it has!

I only wish I would have found it before I bought a car. With my work schedule, limited talent and space I need to buy a car that was complete and I guess I did OK, but I probably would have taken more time and convinced some experts to go with me had I been on the HAMB much sooner.

I've learned a lot in the past year, especially from a bunch of folks at the SW Hamb & Eggs every Saturday morning. They immediately made me feel welcome and I continue to be amazed at how much knowledge we have sitting at breakfast every Saturday.

Hot Rods are so much more fun that Classic Muscle Cars!

Jack

28. Black Primer

Black Primer

Yes!.. it made me realize its not too strange to want to spend most of my life in my garage.