Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on Camaro Subframe under 50 Chevy Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buildinga55, Dec 5, 2008.

1. buildinga55

buildinga55

I have read the 80 Camaro subframe is too wide for a 50 Chevy truck. I have also read about narrowing the width with shorter A Arms?? I am looking at a truck but have not bought it. Would want a low stance. What is involved and where do you get the parts to narrow, or should I just run from the deal? It has a lot of other things going for it. However the truck is currently disassembled and I cannot see how the frame would look with the fenders. Thanks

2. Spedley

Spedley

IMHO, if your gonna spend the $$ on narrowed A-arms (dont think I'd tackle narrowing them myself) why not spend the cash in another place and get something that works better and is less work. S10 frame? MII or dakota front crossmember? Dropped axle and springs?

3. buildinga55

buildinga55

I understand it would be better with the narrower front end to begin with, but this frame is already done with engine, tranny, driveline, brakes, steering, everything is done and most of it is all new. If I am going to change the whole frontend setup to an IFS or narrower subframe, I would probably just buy a different truck and start from scratch. Just thought I would ask what is involved and how much do the narrower A Arms go for and what else might need to be changed. If it is too big of a deal, I will probably just pass on the truck. It does have a very straight and rust free body. Thanks

4. Spedley

Spedley

I didnt realize how much had been done already. If its that good of a deal, Fatman makes some that are pretty expensive, but I guess thats up to you..... Only 1" per side seems kinda pricey, and I'm not aware of their quality...
    http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=27

5. if you have the subframe already you can always narrow it! 78'-86' gm a body track width is close to stock.

6. Also take a look at an '80s Ford Aerostar van. Front crossmember unbolts with all the suspension, rack and pinion, etc. attached to it. Should be about the right width for your Chevy pickup, and they're cheap and plentiful in the junkyards.

7. 48stude

48stude

I have a 72 chevelle wagon frame under my truck. I'm sure that it is wider than a Camaro.
    I'm using 195-75-15 tires ,15 X 6 wheels with a 4" backspacing with no tire/fender rub. I have the room to run 205-15's if I need to. Bill

Attached Files:

8. Badassbrutus

Badassbrutus

Id narrow the frame there is no body on it so its easy to tear down then go from there then weld on you new body mounts.
    I like the s10 frames to put under trucks.

9. buildinga55

buildinga55

Thanks for the info and the PM's. I got pictures of the truck last night and the body and fenders are mounted on the frame. I need to take the a drive and look it over. Probably need to determine what wheels I might want to run to see if the setup would work. Keep any other info coming.

I guess the next question is what is a good width for the rear end? This truck has a camaro rearend 3.73 gears but not sure of the year. Guessing it came off the 80 as well.

I am a little torn between going with the narrower steel wheels for the old school look or wider 18/20 combo.

Thanks for any help or pictures you can post with details of tire and wheels sizes.